Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheels up in 31

User Info Menu

Wheels up in 31

I have officially started my countdown! Easy enough when you live in the frozen wasteland that is western MN, and you think it's a heatwave when the temperature actually warms up to 0 degrees. Needless to say, I desperately need a Jamaica fix!
    I have more questions for everyone, ( stop shaking your heads at me). I said earlier I would ask a lot!!

Since we're coming in on the bus from MoBay, we won't be in PA until 8 or 9. Are there taxis at the bus station, or should I arrange a driver? Vi gave me the names of some trusted drivers (Thanks VI), which we will be using, just not sure if we should just grab a ride so we can get to Tim Bamboo and dump off our luggage.

Where are the places we should make sure to hit for food? Are there any good fruit stands to hit up for my fruit addiction? (Hello, my name is Maralunatic, and I'm addicted to fruit and vegetables)

I have an old phone(think flip phone) that I got years earlier in Jamaica. Do you think I can just buy a new SIM, or should I retire the old girl? Is there a digicel around?

What about exchanging money? I normally use cambios...any ideas where they're located?

Whew...such a lot of questions..Help!

User Info Menu

Re: Wheels up in 31

Looking forward to this report
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

I will absolutely do a trip report! It won't be as interesting as Vi's, but I will try my best!

User Info Menu

Hi Maralunatic! I’m celebrating your count down right along with you.

Yes, there will be drivers waiting at the station when your bus arrives. I’ve done both, pre-arranged a pick up and grab a waiting cab. Since you are so close, I can’t see you having to pay any more than $10 from there to the hotel.

Good choice on the accommodations, btw. As I mentioned before, you can walk to town for shopping or just to grab a route taxi to get to Boston or Long Bay. You’ll only need to charter rides for your excursions. Oh yeah, the bus station is at the marina. Go back there to visit Bikini Beach one day while exploring down town.

The craft markets(inside and outside) are on the same route in town. Town is chaotic, but not aggressive. Just people moving about taking care of business. And very safe as the police station is smack in the middle of it all. I too am a fruity/vegetable junkie. I stroll back into the market and buy from different stalls. Tomatoes here, cucumbers there, onions, papayas, mangos, bananas, grapefruit, limes, callaloo…I get it all back there. I’m not shy about comparing prices either. Bring an oversized shopping bag with you. I picked up this collapsible, “square” shopping bag from Walmart which is roomy and enabled me to carry a lot which feeling the weight.

There’s a guy situated at the entrance of the market and his push cart is always full of fruits and vegetables. Unless he has something you just can’t pass up, I would go inside because he is very expensive.

Places to eat…

I don’t know a lot of places in town since I stay outside of Boston, but do have your breakfast at the hotel since it’s included and tastes pretty good. Piggies for fantastic jerk chicken. On your way into town, wander into the small, attractive craft market by the sea. There are two restaurants in there. Go to the bigger one that borders the outside of the market. Nice set up and they will give you the wifi log-on if you order from them. Go in the evening to the bar for a drink. Visit my friend, Rock Bottom who has millions of carvings outside and inside his shop. He’s a BIG man with a bigger soul. The Urban Spoon in on the second floor inside the Royal Mall. Good food and you get plenty, but it gets packed at lunch time. The mall is opposite the entrance to the marina. There’s a patty truck at the taxi stand that is ALWAYS packed, but the patties are delicious. Trust me, you will find PLENTY of places to eat right in the vicinity of your hotel.

How long has it been since you used your phone?

The cambios and banks are super easy to find in town. Just look for the sign outside the little stores. There’s one on the corner after passing the police station and a couple across the street.

Maralunatic, hopefully I can start posting something on Monday that will give you visuals to these places…and thank bunches for your kind words. I know your report is going to be golden!!!

User Info Menu

Vi,
    Those pictures make my mouth water! Can't wait to get the fresh fruit and veggies. Hard to find really fresh at this time of year up in the frozen north!

I haven't used the phone for probably a good 8 years?! I'm thinking I'd be better off just picking up a new one? But that old flip phone is a bona-fide antique.

I'm looking forward to stopping by to see Rock Bottom. His shop looks so interesting, and I love the carvings. Hmmmm...maybe I should pack an extra duffel bag for all the stuff I bring back. My boss would fire me if I didn't bring him some curry seasonings, and I always bring back spices and jerk sauce.

I know I have more questions, but somehow when I start typing all this out they fly out of my head...

I would love to see some visuals on these places!

Port Antonio should employ you as a good will ambassador with all the love and enthusiasm you project on this board and with your trip reports!

User Info Menu

Very interested in your trip! We’re only going to Port Antonio for a day so I’m trying to find the best of the best for a day also a fruitie and foodie lol

User Info Menu

Wonderful! When are you going to be there?

This will be our first time to PA, so it should be fun. Miss Vi is the one when it comes to information on the area!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Maralunatic View Post
    Wonderful! When are you going to be there?

This will be our first time to PA, so it should be fun. Miss Vi is the one when it comes to information on the area!!
    We’re going the 20th of February. Staying in Negril the rest of the trip. Ive been dying to go to Port Antonio!

User Info Menu

Darn! We won't be there until the 23rd. I will miss Negril, but I can't wait to try something different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Maralunatic View Post
    Darn! We won't be there until the 23rd. I will miss Negril, but I can't wait to try something different.
    well i will Be super excited to hear back from you since you are staying longer than we