Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Dive sites? Kitesurfing?

User Info Menu

Dive sites? Kitesurfing?

I'll be in Negril (Samsara) in April for about a week. I'm planning for most of the trip to be spent relaxing, maybe enjoying the local plant life, swimming/snorkeling off cliffs, etc but would enjoy a day or two of something more active.

Are there any dive companies anyone can recommend (tour or rental) and/or any must-see shore dives? Are there any healthy reefs left anywhere after two seasons of bleaching?

Is it worth packing kitesurfing gear (extra bag and board fees) or is there nowhere near negril to go? I'm still pretty green and used to riding snow (not consistently staying upwind in the water) so a safe downwind exit from the ocean and walk upwind is also important.

Thanks in advance!

Greg

User Info Menu

Re: Dive sites? Kitesurfing?

Quote Originally Posted by gambledog View Post
    I'll be in Negril (Samsara) in April for about a week. I'm planning for most of the trip to be spent relaxing, maybe enjoying the local plant life, swimming/snorkeling off cliffs, etc but would enjoy a day or two of something more active.

Are there any dive companies anyone can recommend (tour or rental) and/or any must-see shore dives? Are there any healthy reefs left anywhere after two seasons of bleaching?

Is it worth packing kitesurfing gear (extra bag and board fees) or is there nowhere near negril to go? I'm still pretty green and used to riding snow (not consistently staying upwind in the water) so a safe downwind exit from the ocean and walk upwind is also important.

Thanks in advance!

Greg
    Marine Life Divers, if they are still operating is right on the grounds at Samsara. I've used them a few times and are a good operator. There is also a pretty decent (small) reef right off the cliffs at Samsara. Should be a good base for you!

User Info Menu

http://www.mldiversnegril.com/ here is a link to their website.

sorry no info for you on kiteboarding, not my thing.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies!

Glad to hear good things about MLD. I read on tripadvisor that they moved? It would be super convenient if they're still on site.

Kitesurfing is probably a no-go in west end just based on wind maps. I should have just googled. Less FOMO and more lounging isn't a bad thing.

User Info Menu

Their website indicated that they are now located next to the German Bar which is about ¾ mile from Samsara.

User Info Menu

Try stanleysdeepseafishing.com He has a couple of boats set up for divers. http://www.stanleysdeepseafishing.com/scuba-diving.html We have gone with him quite a few times. He has a great crew.