Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip Report - Portland 2017

User Info Menu

Re: Trip Report - Portland 2017

I decided to walk the narrow sidewalk and head to the craft market by the sea to visit Rock Bottom.

User Info Menu

Lovely!- Your photos bring back so many good memories of our trip there 2 years ago. Very much looking forward to hearing/seeing more of your visit(s). Thank you!

User Info Menu

I'm so glad I got to see this before I trip! Keep the report coming please!
    Awesome pictures!

User Info Menu

Great pictures and narration *vi*! I am reminiscing back to a year ago when we visited Portland

It's 10F out here at home and we just received 6 inches of snow, but fortunately we'll be in Jamrock soon! We won't be visiting the east end this year though, we're sticking to Negril

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
    Lovely!- Your photos bring back so many good memories of our trip there 2 years ago. Very much looking forward to hearing/seeing more of your visit(s). Thank you!
    sunchaser! Has it been two years already??? I remember your magnificent slide show of Port Antonio. You showed places and details that I have yet to capture. In fact, you inspired me to do a video report but I forgot about that promise until now. I’m so glad you gave me a shout because now I’m writing down the reminder to make that project happen for my August visit. I have a quick question…were you able to use your own music or did you have to select from their library?

Sooooo when are you two lovebirds going back?????? Portland misses you!

Quote Originally Posted by Maralunatic View Post
    I'm so glad I got to see this before I trip! Keep the report coming please!
    Awesome pictures!
    Maralunatic, I’m on a mission to get as much posted before you take off. You should search sunchaser and find that slide show of their visit. You’ll appreciate the piece on rafting and eating at Ms. Belinda’s place.

Quote Originally Posted by agregory View Post
    Great pictures and narration *vi*! I am reminiscing back to a year ago when we visited Portland

It's 10F out here at home and we just received 6 inches of snow, but fortunately we'll be in Jamrock soon! We won't be visiting the east end this year though, we're sticking to Negril
    Hello there agregory!!! Thanks for joining the ride! I’m happy to hear you’re returning soon. Those temps are no joke. No worries about seeking warmth in Negril, Portland will be there when you’re able to return. Heck, it’s been a couple years since I’ve been back to Negril. So do me a favor and post a report when you get back to motivate me to break off Negril a piece of my Jamaica time.

User Info Menu

Piggy’s Jerk Centre is on the right side directly across from the foot of the narrow sidewalk. IMO this place has the best jerk chicken I’ve ever had. Okay the comparison list is not that long because I’m not a great fan of jerk chicken, but I loved theirs because it was super moist and seasoned just right for my taste. They also have excellent festival.

The road splits at this point. The left leads to many businesses, cambios & banks, immigration office, grocery markets, straw market, restaurants, pharmacies, hospital, police station, the entrance to the marina/Bikini Beach/Knutsford Bus Station, library, gas stations…no wonder those few blocks are filled with a steady flow of people.

The right is the taxi stand nucleus with a multitude of cars & vans transporting people from Port Antonio to other parts of Jamaica. Titchfield is in that direction. Oh and the ever present glorious sea which I call the visual tranquilizer.

User Info Menu

Now on to check out Mr. Rock Bottom.

ALL of the carvings on the walls...floor and hanging from the rafters are what cannot fit in his little shop.

Mr. Rock Bottom A true gentleman,

He with his gentle massiveness greets me with a smile just as huge….

“ahhhh welcome back! welcome back and how is my friend?”

Then a hug and an invitation to have a drink is how our visits always start. After our brief chat, I’ll hop down from the tall bar stool and go to his tiny shop packed with his art to pick out pieces that catch my eye. I always buy a lot of turtles for gifts and a jewelry box for myself.

Rock Bottom should be a part of a visitors Portland experience. He is more than just a gifted and dedicated woodcarver, he’s an excellent representative of his beloved country, Jamaica. The man has stories that I long to listen to. On my next visit I plan to bring him an Eagles World Series jersey in exchange for one of his winning anecdotes. I hope others try to do the same.

User Info Menu

This is one of the two restaurants located at the end on the market. It's a poplar place especially at dinner.

This is my breakfast from a previous visit. It was very good. I haven’t made it back but will try the pizza when I return.

Looking for a really nice place to have a drink? Just to the right side of the market is a bar. If I remember correctly, Red Stripes 150J and shots 130J

Last edited by *vi*; 02-09-2018 at 04:57 PM. Reason: add a photo

User Info Menu

Aww Vi..
    You're so sweet to do this!

I will check out Sunchaser's report ASAP!

User Info Menu

No problem, Maralunatic…like I said, my posting is driven by your enthusiasm about being there. Besides, I’m sure anyone else interested in my ramblings will appreciate this being completed before the end of the year….lol