Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip Report - Portland 2017

User Info Menu

Re: Trip Report - Portland 2017

Awww... hamburgers. Just in time for me to have to catch a flight instead of reading this whole thing! Ah so it go.

Oh, the Eagles won the Super Bowl, miss vi. World Series is baseball. But we still love you.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for all of your labor doing these trip reports *vi*. If I ever run into you in Jamaica, dinner is my treat!

User Info Menu

Oh TAH, you always know how make me smile even when embarrassed. Can you tell sports are not my forte? Soooo flight to where???

Missy Sam I Am, we just have to make that happen. I have the perfect place in mind. You pay for dinner and I’ll pick up the beverage tab and transportation. Now all we need to do is get you there!

User Info Menu

There’s an adequate variety of places to eat here. Two or three tables selling souvenirs and occasionally a boat will be available to take folks around the bay or drop them off in Boston. A visit to this beach is highly recommended. Safe, clean and hassle/hustler free. The only time I would not come to this beach is when there’s a special event held here. People arrive by the bus load so getting out is a nightmare…otherwise you can count on having a perfect time at Winnifred Beach.

User Info Menu

Trident Castle

Ever since I’ve been coming to Portland, I’ve wanted to see the inside of the Trident Castle. I mean the view from the road is impressive and can’t be ignored. But like all castles, it’s protected by high walls, guards and surrounded by water.

Over the years I’ve asked drivers to arrange for me to tour the massive structure, but none of them could get me in. Well on the ride from town I happened to mention how I wish to see the inside. A voice from the back seat said, “I can get you in.” Turns out the young man sharing the taxi with me is one of the castle chefs. He took my number and said the front desk hostess will call and set up the tour and dinner reservation. I got a call two hours later and made reservations for Vi, party of one for the following evening.

The Trident property is split. The castle is the building in the foreground and the hotel & restaurant are in the background.

User Info Menu

My driver gave the guard my name and the twelve-foot tall gate door swung open so we could enter. Of course the grounds were perfectly manicured. Not even a fallen leaf could be seen on the endless rich, green lawn. My guide and a female hotel rep greeted me and thanked me for coming. They invited Mr. Walker, my driver, to join the tour.

Designed by Architect Earl Levy, castle construction began 1979 and took nearly a decade to reach completion. This remarkable edifice contains a banquet hall, a ballroom, two spacious living rooms, 8 huge bedrooms and a plethora of terraces and courtyards. A view of either the Blue Mountains or the magnificent ocean can clearly be seen from any window. In 2009 Levy sold the castle to billionaire Michael Lee Chin for a reported $2.1 million who currently rents the castle out as an expensive weekend getaway.

User Info Menu

You have either the best luck or really good contacts to be able to get into that fancy place. Thanks for the pictures, it's beautiful. I'm sure it will be the only way I get to see it. Pretty sure not gonna win the lottery!

User Info Menu

I read on one site that the entire castle can be booked for $2,800US a night…breakfast included. But when you think about it, that’s not a bad price for an intimate wedding day. I know couples who drop three times that amount for the day. Why not exchange vows in a castle? Speaking of weddings, the guide said they usually do 2 weddings a month.

A lot of the original décor is still in place, including the flooring.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Maralunatic View Post
    You have either the best luck or really good contacts to be able to get into that fancy place. Thanks for the pictures, it's beautiful. I'm sure it will be the only way I get to see it. Pretty sure not gonna win the lottery!
    Maralunatic, I knew I could never afford to stay there but I figured it wouldn't hurt to take a peek. I've gotten braver when it comes to getting on properties that strike my curiosity. The Trident was a challenge because not many drivers enter the gates or know anyone who works there. My driver lives near the chef so he was giving him a ride. It was finally being in the right place at the right time.

User Info Menu