Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Trip Report - Portland 2017

User Info Menu

Re: Trip Report - Portland 2017

User Info Menu

I take a few pictures while Shane adds the finishing touches to our meal.

To the upper left is a shot of the rocks you have to pass around to get for the other side of the beach. The water isn't deep, but the current that swirls around the rocks can be strong. If you don't time it right, you'll...of course...will go down.

User Info Menu

So…he rinses off his hand with clean water from a plastic container. Lights a spliff and takes a puff…exhales. Take another deep puff and exhales. He than turns and smiles at me.

“You ready to eat, Vi?”
    “Hell Yeah! Bring it on man!”

Fresh Conch Soup and it was outstanding!!!!!!

After he filled my aluminum bowl served on a leaf platter, he asked if it was alright to give some to the other guys who help maintain the beach. I told him of course. Five people enjoyed a meal that cost 2,100J, or less than $20US.

User Info Menu

Trying to start packing, which always means I'm looking for passports and trying to figure out what I need vs what I think I need. Decided a rum and coke was in order along with a short break and hit up the forum and lo and behold new stuff from Vi! Yay!! Loving the pics and the conch soup looks amazing! I'll take a second helping of both the soup and the trip report! Loving this

User Info Menu

This is a beautiful story, Vi. I just perused it, but i’ll Come back and read thoroughly when I get the chance. It’s been 18 years since I was there, and your pics and narrative bring back so many memories.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Maralunatic View Post
    Trying to start packing, which always means I'm looking for passports and trying to figure out what I need vs what I think I need. Decided a rum and coke was in order along with a short break and hit up the forum and lo and behold new stuff from Vi! Yay!! Loving the pics and the conch soup looks amazing! I'll take a second helping of both the soup and the trip report! Loving this
    Maralunatic, a rum and coke helps me think clearer too when packing. Only a few days to go and all my pictures will come to life for you two. I was getting extremely jealous of your approaching arrival to Portland, but as of last night, when I submitted my time-off request, I can again be overjoyed about your first visit. You see, after posting pictures and remembering the moments, my moods are out of sorts. The only thing that gets me head right is an arrival date. The soup was delicious. Deep down inside I regretted giving it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    This is a beautiful story, Vi. I just perused it, but i’ll Come back and read thoroughly when I get the chance. It’s been 18 years since I was there, and your pics and narrative bring back so many memories.
    LOL how I adore your name, Kritter. Thanks for giving me a shout. As you can see, a lot has changed since 2000, however that “laid back” vibe still thrives there. But wow, 18 years?? Time flies, don’t it?? I would love to see your pictures from that year. Please tell me that you’ve at least been to other parts of Jamaica.

User Info Menu

A couple of videos from that afternoon

User Info Menu

*vi*
    So nice to hear you booked another visit, so now you won't be sad! Your help has been invaluable to us in planning our trip, and for everyone else who is thinking/planning on going. Plus we can look forward to another trip report from you!. When are you planning on going?
    Two more days until we hit the airport, and it's soooo difficult to get anything done at work because Jamaica is on my mind constantly!

User Info Menu

So basically, Maralunatic, you are already there!!! In two days your body will catch up with your mind and all will be irie! *sigh* I don’t have long to wait, early April, but it still feels like forever. Not too sure if I will do a report on that visit when I return, but there definitely will be one from my july reach. There’ some special events going on in Portland this summer. Speaking of reports, we hope to get one from you…pretty please!!!!!!

User Info Menu

After eating, I refilled my empty plastic rum cup and Shane rolled and blazed up another spliff. We talked about the food and the possibility of doing it again. I was all for it. Maybe a big pot of steamed vegetables or even fish if conch can’t be found.

I had a few dollars set aside to give him for shopping and cooking. But he wouldn’t take it. He said eating was all the payment he deserved. "Deserved? As in earned???" "Yes", he confirmed. To me, it wasn’t enough because I know a little about his financial situation. I told him to take it and purchase phone credit for his grandfather. He liked that suggestion. He’s a good kid…I should say young man.

“Shane, why do you sit with me for so long? I can’t possibly be that interesting.”
    “Yeah….yeah you are. You’re like a bigger (older) sister for me.”
    “Honey, I’m old enough to be your mother. Let’s say auntie.”
    “Auntie??? What? Vi, you about 40? 42?”
    “Oh aren’t you sweet.”

I just smiled and sipped my rum. hmmm 42 was a good age…think I’ll wear it again for the rest of the week.

This excellent day was gradually evolving into a delightfully beautiful evening. The sand beneath my feet maintains the warmth from the sun. Heavens it feels good. And goodness! I’m completely memorized by the ocean’s seductive dance.