Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Trip Report - Portland 2017

User Info Menu

Re: Trip Report - Portland 2017

“I better get going, Shane.”
    “Why? You’re on holiday so you don’t have to work. Stay a likkle longa.”
    “LOL that’s true. But I need to catch a taxi and that might take a minute. They are always full this time of day. “
    “Call one of your drivas to come for you. Dem all pon the road this time of day.”

My phone rings and it’s Michael. I tell him I’m at the beach and ask could he come for me. Said he’ll be here in 10 minute. Michael is a dependable (red plate) driver. When he says he’ll be there at a certain time, he does. Only thing about him is he keeps the car AC set to deep freeze. Says he MUST have it cold like that in his car or he’ll becomes irritable from the heat. I’m not an air condition person so I won’t ride long distances with him. If you LOVE traveling in a freezer-on-wheels, then Michael would be the perfect driver for you…lol

“I’ve got to pack up and get to the road. Michael’s on his way.”

Shane lets me sit in silence to soak up the remaining minutes of this perfect afternoon.

Then the scene to cap off my Boston Beach day caught my eye…I watched a toddler sitting on her daddy’s lap slowly surrender to sleep. So intimately precious It was time to go with a smile.

“Shane…”
    “Yeah?”
    “I’ll check you tomorrow.”
    “Okay Auntie Vi…tomorrow.”

User Info Menu

One morning I decided to roll out of bed and make my way to Long Bay for breakfast here. This place has gotten very popular with the drivers.

My meal was very good. Would have liked more ackee...it was perfect.

User Info Menu

The place next to the restaurant on the left is a nice bar. Oh, there's a tiny bar inside the restaurant too. But I prefer to have a drink and chill on the deck of the other especially when they start the music.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

UGH....4 more hours of work, and then I'm on vacation!..
    Watching a storm making its way to the twin cities and hoping there's no flight delays tomorrow morning

User Info Menu

Oh my...Maralunitic everything is going to be fine. Portland is ready to roll out the red carpet for you two so you are expected to arrive on time

You go to Negril first, right? Well, check in to the report daily. Safe travels and have a blast!
    Last edited by *vi*; 02-22-2018 at 03:58 PM.

User Info Menu

The waters of Long Bay are the most active in all of Portland. Beautiful and energizing to watch. I love it here for that reason. In the past I was hesitant to swim here because I was cautioned about the undertow. So I would sit and just watch her beguiling performance…taunting me…daring me to come in to play. I love the water so staying out of it here was torture. Well my thoughts changed when I saw this group of youngsters diving in without a care. Now I plunge in at least twice during my visits. With that said, if you are a basic swimmer, you’ll be fine.

User Info Menu

House in Long Bay...if I have the cash this would be mine.

User Info Menu

Later that day, I had Michael, one of my drivers, take me to Soldiers Camp restaurant. This place is very poplar, but not all drivers know how to get there. It's not on the main roadway, but tucked away in the neighborhood. Thankfully Michael did so we went with empty bellies to find out for ourselves if all the raving about this man’s food was on point.

Michael and his ice mobile

Soldier Camp

Mr. Everold Daley, owner & chef

Short story even shorter, the restaurant is closed on Mondays and of course that’s when we went. So no food. However I did have a pleasant visit with Mr. Daley. I plan to go back and try the snapper he spoke highly about. I guess you’re asking, why even post about the place if I didn’t get to eat??? It was a nice experience just going there, checking out the digs and meeting Mr. Daley.

After leaving Soldier Camp, our bellies demanded food. I let Michael select the place and without hesitation, he said KFC. This was my first time ever doing KFC in Jamaica and I gotta say the recipe is not only different from the US but tastier. I wanted more, but the line was ridiculously long and slow. Fast food is NOT fast food in Jamaica...lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post

House in Long Bay...if I have the cash this would be mine.
    Ahh you and me both!! Perfect spot!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]