Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Trying to find wood carver named Morlon in Negril

User Info Menu

Trying to find wood carver named Morlon in Negril

Bought some wood carvings back in the mid 80's from a carver named Morlon or Marlon. Have not been able to find him at any of the craft markets in Negril since then. Several of the other vendors are selling his work but are not willing to tell me where Morlon stays. Will be heading back to Negril in July and hope to make a connection with him. Does anyone where I can find Morlon?

User Info Menu

Re: Trying to find wood carver named Morlon in Negril

Hi fuzzy.

Any chance you are talking about Mason the carver?
    "Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."
    -- E. Gary Gygax

User Info Menu

Name:  028.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  12.7 KB
    Mason's work

User Info Menu

Hi Big Shiny,
    Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with Mason and have several of his carvings bought years ago when they were more affordable. I am certain that the carver I am looking for is Morlon because his name is carved on the bottom of the pieces that I have. One vender at the craft market told me that Morlon was now in Kingston. My sense was that he was trying to make Morlon a distant purchasing opportunity for me. Morlon's carvings are scattered throughout the market but no one is talking. I still have a few months before heading back down again. Thanks

User Info Menu

Hi Slightly Stoopid,
    I'm sure the carver is Morlon. I think Morlon carves in the bush and then sells to the vendors. His hand work is around the craft market. Mason's carvings have become too expensive for me.
    Thanks

User Info Menu

We bought off a carver named Wesley ..how was /is in the craft market - been a while -
    very good quality & not too pricey

I purchased a Mason carving @ a second hand store in Ontario Canada - best $5.00 -EVER

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    Hi Big Shiny,
    Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with Mason and have several of his carvings bought years ago when they were more affordable. I am certain that the carver I am looking for is Morlon because his name is carved on the bottom of the pieces that I have. One vender at the craft market told me that Morlon was now in Kingston. My sense was that he was trying to make Morlon a distant purchasing opportunity for me. Morlon's carvings are scattered throughout the market but no one is talking. I still have a few months before heading back down again. Thanks
    Sorry I couldn't be more help fuzz, but I don't think I know of a Morlon.

Good luck with your search!
    "Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."
    -- E. Gary Gygax