Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Sorry Bordies

User Info Menu

Sorry Bordies

A couple of months back we were strong supporters of chicken Lavish stating that the food was excellent on this forum... However on the last two visits our experience was not so good. We realize that we are all human and mistakes do happen it is up to the owner to fix the problem or offer a solution. The first negative experience was with the curry conch which was cold and rubbery. This week I was recommended the curry goat. The goat was so salty It was barely edible. The waitress tried it and had agreed with me. The portion was extremely small and mostly bones. The owner sat at our table and asked about the food and I explained my concerns. He offered no solution except that he would talk to the chef. We live in JA for the winters and frequently bring our guests to Negril and always go to Chicken Lavish which once was a "must go to" place to eat.

We always try to be positive but after the way the owner dealt with the matter we will not return.

There are many great places to eat in Negril

Cheers

User Info Menu

Re: Sorry Bordies

I can understand mistakes, but I really hate to hear when an owner doesn’t try to make things right. We had similar problems at German Bar so we don’t go there anymore. I hope you find a better go-to place.
    Last edited by frankk; 02-24-2018 at 12:10 PM.

User Info Menu

On a similar note. We tried qualities seafood the other night for the first time and it was awful. They were trying to pass off something that look like pork cutlet as red snapper. It was dark and very tough and very fishy. It definitely was not red snapper. But they were not having it.Are used to be a professional fish buyer. I know what I’m talking about. It was absurdly not snapper.

User Info Menu

SoloTraveller,

That's the problem with ordering fish at a restaurant you never know what they are serving you. Some places in the Caribbean try and push barracuda (some people eat it some don't) off as other fish. Not saying this is the case in your instance but who knows. Seeing is believing but like you said red snapper is pretty distinctive in texture, appearance and flavor.

Name:  Fresh Fish.JPG
Views: 841
Size:  249.5 KB

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that. We've always had consistently good meals at Chicken Lavish.

User Info Menu

Would be nice if some of the owners of these places contact us privately because it’s never too late to make things right. I’m sure we’d all be delighted to talk about better experiences.

User Info Menu

That's tough to hear. Doc has done a good job for many, many years. We had our usual fried chicken there a couple weeks ago and it was very good. The first night we went to Lavish we arrived behind a large crowd so we headed across the road to Swordfish for the first time. We loved the setting and the snapper was excellent. I spoke with Doc about why we didn't stick around because we thought the wait would be too long, and he understood and appreciated that we returned. I'm surprised - but let's not write it off with one bad night after 30 years.

User Info Menu

He must have done something because the food two weeks ago was unanimously deemed outstanding!! The service...Uber Jamaican but the camaraderie between the tables was hilarious. Highly recommended with great prices. I like that they charge a premium if you pay US $.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sabu View Post
    That's tough to hear. Doc has done a good job for many, many years. We had our usual fried chicken there a couple weeks ago and it was very good. The first night we went to Lavish we arrived behind a large crowd so we headed across the road to Swordfish for the first time. We loved the setting and the snapper was excellent. I spoke with Doc about why we didn't stick around because we thought the wait would be too long, and he understood and appreciated that we returned. I'm surprised - but let's not write it off with one bad night after 30 years.
    It was two bad nights a couple of weeks apart. We have been there at least 25 times over the last 10 years always with new guests. The issue is how the owner did not handle the issue