Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Jamaica Citizenship by Marriage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Jamaica Citizenship by Marriage

Hello! My husband is a dual Jamaican/US Citizen and I am a US Citizen. I am trying to obtain dual citizenship just in case we opt to move later on in life.

Does anyone have experience with this process? I’m assuming I can just fill out the form and show up w/my husband at the Embassy in DC with his Jamaican passport with a fee?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Jamaica Citizenship by Marriage

That is essentially it. The Embassy should be able to guide you.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Me too - I am US and my wife is dual. She is from Jamaica but she moved to US and became naturalized US after we married.

Now I am planning to move to Jamaica for retirement. Just me, for now (she is not ready to retire). In the process of buying a property. I am looking forward to my new life there.

I was planning to apply for permanent residency & Jamaican citizenship after arriving there. Is that the wrong way to go about it? I.e. buy my retirement property, go there on a tourist visa like I always do, and apply for permanent residency there. Just myself - my wife would still be in the US - though I'll put on the application that I have a Jamaican wife. It might help, although it doesn't appear to be necessary; people do retire to Jamaica without Jamaican spouses.

However I haven't yet looked into it in detail. I am interested in any advice here, especially if I am going about it wrong.

User Info Menu

I have been going through the process of citizenship by marriage... I'm happy to answer any questions you might have

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rtitle View Post
    Me too - I am US and my wife is dual. She is from Jamaica but she moved to US and became naturalized US after we married.

Now I am planning to move to Jamaica for retirement. Just me, for now (she is not ready to retire). In the process of buying a property. I am looking forward to my new life there.

I was planning to apply for permanent residency & Jamaican citizenship after arriving there. Is that the wrong way to go about it? I.e. buy my retirement property, go there on a tourist visa like I always do, and apply for permanent residency there. Just myself - my wife would still be in the US - though I'll put on the application that I have a Jamaican wife. It might help, although it doesn't appear to be necessary; people do retire to Jamaica without Jamaican spouses.

However I haven't yet looked into it in detail. I am interested in any advice here, especially if I am going about it wrong.
    Rather than permanent residency you can apply for a Marriage Exemption permit. This will allow you to live and work in Jamaica for 3 years at a time, renewable as long as you stay married. I think it's $15,000 JMD to apply at the ministry of labor, then the extension at PICA's office is $10,000 JMD. After that they charge you an additional amount for the actual stamp in your passport, but it's smal (around $2,000 JMD).

You can apply for citizenship at any time while being married to a Jamaican national but it can take up to 2 years to process. In order to stay in Jamaica during that time you'll either need the Marriage Exemption permit or some other form of legal residency