Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A Tale of Two Seasons

User Info Menu

Re: A Tale of Two Seasons

Thanks agregory for the lovely comments! I so feel your pain, and I think the high for us this week is only 40 degrees

Jojo While we loved PA, we did feel like we're cheating on Negril! So we decided to do a Negril trip in the fall to get our fix in. But I will go back to Port Antonio in a heartbeat. Mr. Lunatic kind of missed all the beach activity. Me, I can go either way. But we didn't even scratch the surface in PA, so we'll be back to do some more exploring.

User Info Menu

While we were chilling at the beach, a couple of vans pulled up and set up a covered tent and a whole bunch of people got out. Guys were running around, and girls were busy applying makeup and getting their hair done.
    Mr. Lunatic went to grab a couple more beers, and I quizzed him when he came back about what was going on. In a typical fashion I got this.
    "Hey, did you ask at the bar what all the commotion was about?"
    "Yeah, some guy showed up to do some music video."
    "Umm, is that his name, or did you actually find out?'
    "Dunno, something man."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180228_122153.jpg 
Views:	1297 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	51097

"Was it Beenie Man?"
    "Could have been, not sure."

Name:	20180228_142443.jpg 
Views:	1092 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	51098

Name:	20180228_142709.jpg 
Views:	1281 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	51099

Yes, it was Beenie Man, and we got to watch them shoot a video. I have to say that it was kind of boring to watch, since they did things over and over. But definitely different to see on the beach.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Maralunatic View Post
    While we were chilling at the beach, a couple of vans pulled up and set up a covered tent and a whole bunch of people got out. Guys were running around, and girls were busy applying makeup and getting their hair done.
    Mr. Lunatic went to grab a couple more beers, and I quizzed him when he came back about what was going on. In a typical fashion I got this.
    "Hey, did you ask at the bar what all the commotion was about?"
    "Yeah, some guy showed up to do some music video."
    "Umm, is that his name, or did you actually find out?'
    "Dunno, something man."
    LOL - "something man" - I can imagine my husband saying the same thing and me thinking the same thoughts as you

User Info Menu

After our brush with fame, we headed back into Port Antonio looking for something to eat. Along the walk to downtown, we came across a group of schoolkids on their way home. I had brought glow stick bracelets from home, and I stopped a couple of girls and asked if they would like some. Pretty soon I had a group of kids all wanting me to put their bracelets on for them, and exchanging colors. These kids were so polite and they all made sure to thank us. I had also given some to Devon to give to his kids. I later asked Devon if the girls had liked them, and he told me that they didn't want to take them off and wanted to sleep with them. LOL!

The next morning was our last full day in PA, so we started by walking down the main road. We soon got thirsty though so we popped into a random bar to see what was cold to drink. Red Stripes, who would have thought?

The bar we stopped into was a typical Jamaican bar, with just the owner and his TV. He had on an old Kung Fu movie. You know the ones that have the lips moving before the sound? So we got into a discussion about the movie and pretty soon the owner was showing us his Kung Fu moves. Only in Jamaica!

Our next stop was the market, where I got a pineapple that was amazingly sweet.

Name:	101_0168.jpg 
Views:	1081 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	51112

This woman peeled that pineapple so fast! Takes me forever at home.

We took our booty and headed to Bikini Beach to chill and bemoan the fact that we were leaving early the next day.

Name:	20180301_103651.jpg 
Views:	1063 
Size:	387.5 KB 
ID:	51113

User Info Menu

After leaving the beach area, we walked around the marina for a bit. They have the cutest gazebos that you can sit and enjoy the day and the beautiful view.

Name:	20180301_092155.jpg 
Views:	1342 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	51129

We met an older gentleman who sat with us and told us stories of earlier days in Port Antonio, and I bought a CD from him. After we talked about different music genres, he have me 3 more CD's. I've been listening to them now at home and they are wonderful!

Name:	20180301_093329.jpg 
Views:	1113 
Size:	256.9 KB 
ID:	51130

Back to the hotel for an early night since we were leaving on the Knutsford bus at 6:00 am.
    Early the next morning, after checking out we waited for our ride to pick us up. And waited.....We finally walked up to the road to see if he was coming. Boy Jamaican mornings are dark!!
    We had a guy stop and ask if we needed a ride, and we said no, our driver will be here.
    5 minutes later, he came back and said we need to leave now if we're going to catch the bus, so in we hopped and made it to the bus station
    (Our driver called a few minutes before 6 to say "Soon come".) Oh well..
    We started onto the next leg of our journey..Ocho Rios.

User Info Menu

A 2 hour bus ride landed us into Ocho Rios and to our new place. We rented a condo on VRBO slightly out of town but within walking distance. The view outside our balcony was sweet.

Name:	20180302_114700.jpg 
Views:	1230 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	51173

Name:	20180302_114712.jpg 
Views:	1303 
Size:	402.6 KB 
ID:	51174

User Info Menu

@maralunatic i am SO IN LOVE with your report. We’re planning our next trip and doing the exact destinations ochi (boyfriend lives there) and port Antonio. We used devon as well. He was great even though we couldn’t find the BnB. Lol mainly talked to my boyfriend though keep it coming ! Reliving through you. Since i have No pictures

User Info Menu

vacationlovaa Noooo....why no pictures?
    I'm glad you liked Devon, so did we.
    Vi was nice enough to give up his contact info for us. And speaking of Miss Vi, she has been mysteriously absent from this board. Did she make a quick run to Jamaica??

User Info Menu

Got settled in and decided to go for a walk downtown to hit up a grocery store. Got a little hungry along the way, and seen a sign for Miss T's restaurant.
    So in we walked....and found out it's a medical clinic.
    Oops..we needed to walk down the lane to the restaurant. Which unfortunately was between breakfast and lunch, so nothing was ready. But we did decide to hang with the bartender and enjoy a dirty banana. Very nice restaurant.

Name:	20180302_091916.jpg 
Views:	1188 
Size:	307.8 KB 
ID:	51181

Name:	20180302_091933.jpg 
Views:	987 
Size:	429.3 KB 
ID:	51182

After managing to get lost in downtown Ochi, we finally made it to a grocery store, loaded up on supplies, and headed back home to chill at the beach.

User Info Menu

Mahogany Beach was just on the backside of the condo we rented, so it was an easy walk to chill on the beach. Like some of the beaches in Port Antonio, it had a river going into the ocean so you got a little refreshing hit of coolness when you were in the water. I liked it, but Mr. Lunatic had some choice words when the cold water hit! LOL!

Name:	20180302_124539.jpg 
Views:	1225 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	51261

There was a jetty on one side where the catamarans were for the party boats. We watched one come in that was full of fraternity girls who didn't want to get off and were having a blast singing songs.

Name:	20180303_130151.jpg 
Views:	1129 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	51262

Name:	20180303_130219.jpg 
Views:	1227 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	51263

The beach also had a funky little shop and bar, so we were kept in cold Red Stripes

Name:	20180302_133244.jpg 
Views:	1204 
Size:	261.9 KB 
ID:	51264

Name:	20180302_130241.jpg 
Views:	1230 
Size:	302.4 KB 
ID:	51265