Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: End of our last trip

User Info Menu

Re: End of our last trip

OK so when I said 'MBJ scam' I still thought it was the small carry-on that was taken, which you have to admit, would be very unusual. Sad, but there are thieves everywhere.

I never bring luggage on a plane, usually because there are things in there that cannot get through security (e.g. booze, wee cutlass) but I wonder if carrying a simple zip tie and using that to tie the zippers together (should your luggage be taken from you on the jetbridge) would 1. be allowed and 2. be enough to dissuade the bad guys, er bad people. Actual locks may work even better, you are already through security, your bag shouldn't be screened again.

In any case, I feel bad for your loss but am glad you shared your story so that we can learn from it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irine View Post
    ... I give away a lot of the things I bring every year just because I know they need it, they would NEVER ask for it (such a proud people) and I'm pretty sure never steal it. Now I'm sure the odd person reading this has had things go missing, my feeling is that's a really small part of the population and in general I feel they are very very honest.

But really, Florida? Sheesh.
    To the OP; You have a GOOD heart and I share your thoughts when it comes to the economic struggles of some Jamaicans. Another reason why I'm so sorry this happened to you. Although others in your group took pictures they will readily give you, it's nothing like the moments you selected to capture and bring home with you.

Odinson, Yes, the heavy-duty zip ties are the next best thing to a regulation lock and I use them all the time. But I, and perhaps the OP, didn't have it on the carry-on because I wasn't checking that piece of luggage. Now I put it on regardless.

User Info Menu

Wow, sorry to hear that! That can kill a vacation buzz really quick. I always use zip ties, and bring a few extras. The way I see it, if the right people want to look through it they will, the wrong few probably don’t have too much time, and with the sip tie as a deterrent. Hopefully they will move on to the next bag. I also carry a small travel bag, about 4x5x10, with all my important items, cash and wallet. Usually my $1 & $5 tip money takes up a huge portion of this! Hopefully the wife will remember how much she loves Negril and forget all about Fla. by next year.

User Info Menu

I find a TSA inspection notice in my luggage every time I come back

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Like the zip tie idea, will be doing that for sure. I also find the inspection slips often as well, but never when I give up my carry on, just in my checked baggage.
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

That sucks! Sorry this happened to you.

Just curious, would travel insurance cover something like this (cell phone or laptop being stolen)?

User Info Menu

Zip ties are a good idea but the odd person that willing to do a crime will do it anyways...
    One of my first trips with my friends was in the Dominican Republic and we bought locks that go on the zippers to hold them together... My friend forgot his keys at home after locking his luggage, while exiting the airport we ask employees ( specifically the luggage porters if they have bolt cutters or anything, well within 10 seconds he was already in his pocket, with pliers and had opened up my friends suitcase for us. Literally no longer than this time frame.

We were happy that he was able to help us because the start of the vacation without access to luggage can be pretty crappy, but we also realized locking the zippers together don`t do much to those that know the trick, if you lose at most zippers it is in 2 pieces, the holder that goes together with the part that `rides the tracks of a zipper`, the part that rides the tracks is normally not welded shut it just clamps down, so pliers can easily open this to unhook it from the track system, open up the suitcase, and use the pliers to close it back down. I know i suck at explaining so i will post a picture as a visual
    Name:  zipper.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  19.5 KB

User Info Menu

"A locked door will not stop a dedicated thief" - Mark Twain

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

"Locks keep honest people honest." --Unknown
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

International into the US the cargo is watched I would guess the MBJ airport! Just saying !!