Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Likkle Tips that Make YOUR Trips Great!

User Info Menu

Likkle Tips that Make YOUR Trips Great!

My 6th trip to Negril is coming up soon, my longest stay (11 days), and my second solo trip.

I know a little bit about the "lay of the land" but I am always in search of improving upon the efficiency and experiences I can have in my favorite place of all time.

I'm seeking small tips, things you've done or things you do to maximize your enjoyment.

Over the years I've picked up many things on this board that I have found invaluable when I'm in Jamaica. It's pretty cool that as I take a route taxi, or pull out a US $1 to tip, i think of this board. Best practices, in ACTION thanks to Negril.com! (I also think about if Rob only knew how many people he's helped over the years and had a nickel for each!!!!)

My tip for you:
    Get a canvas lanyard to attach your room/safe keys to. This saves you from losing your keys, #1, but #2, you always KNOW where it is...around your neck! How many times have you had to check your pocket to see if your key is there? How many times have you discussed where your room key was with your travel companion?

"You got the keys hon?" etc

How many times have you had a few too many Red Stripes and worried about where your key is? <----Me? NEVER. LOL.

I leave my room with my keys around my neck under my shirt, some cash, and my cigarettes. And I'm good to go!!! No worries mon! My keys are where I am. No worries about dem lost in the sand, etc.

Name:  lanyard.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  21.0 KB

Oh lanyard, thou art MIGHTY!
    Last edited by brasi; 11-07-2011 at 11:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Got mine all ready, only 20 days to go

Now, I've got a "tip" to share...pack a nightlight, nothing worse than getting up in the middle of the night & stubbing your toe...

User Info Menu

I pin my room key inside my shorts.

My tip has to do w/ tipping. Tip your housekeeper daily. It's not always the same person so if you tip at the end of your stay, it might not be distributed appropriately. I use US $1 bills since smaller Jamaican bills are usually hard to find.

User Info Menu

Lots of shops sell a lovely watertight little case - on a lanyard - almost everywhere that holds a pack of smokes, a lighter and some cash and you can clip your key to it. No pocketses no problem - no purse required.
    Oh yes, and there's Oxy gel stick laundry treater, compact - gets out the jerk sauce I inevitably spill on whatever I'm wearing.
    improvise & overcome

User Info Menu

i have little first aid kit, small enough to fit inside the front pocket of a backpack, with a few plasters etc, but also stuff for upset tummys, bites and aspirin, I've never used it myself but it has been used by others

User Info Menu

Great tips all...I have a clasp in my purse for my keys there and here at home but I still go all OCD checking and re-checking to make sure I have them.

Biggest tip I can think of - don't sweat the small stuff and PAY ATTENTION.

User Info Menu

OK, here are few Gerry G tips:

1, Bring lots of $1 bills or 100j and NEVER assume ANYONE can change a large bill (bigger than a $5, ha ha)

2, Bring lots of chapsticks, they get lost easily, and you need 'em

3, Drive your scooter SLOW -- you never know when a tire will blow, and you don't want to be going 40 mph when it happens

4, Rent or buy a Jamaica phone cause the cell roam charges will kill you

5, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS negotiate the cost of cab or service BEFORE you get in or accept something -- and, when negotiating, usually go with about a third of the original price and only go up a little tiny bit at the end

6, Use the ATMs near the gas station near the RIUs or up the hill at Banmark instead of Scotia to avoid the beggars

7, When staying at hotels that issue towel cards, tip a few bucks for extra cards so you can leave a towel behind if you so choose

8, Treat everyone with respect, especially the locals. Never argue with anyone, if possible, just say Ya Mon or Respect and walk away .....

9, Buy fish and lobsters from a local fisherman, then head to Booby Cay and they will cook it for you .... You can get a huge string of lobsters and other fish for 10 to 15 dollars instead of playing 15 to 20 per lobster on the island

10, Find a good cabbie and do a package deal if possible, where you have him do like three or four things or take you to three or four places, and make a deal that way.

11, Take a break or nap in your room in the early afternoon, that's the hottest time of the day .....

12, Make SURE your paperwork is perfect for immigration, and pass as many folks as you can during the long walk from the plane to the immigration desk, as a shortage of workers can make the wait a lot longer if 30 or 40 people are ahead of you compared to 10 or 15 .....

User Info Menu

Here is my tip...buy a bottle of rum cream on your first day and enjoy it in just about everything during your stay LOL...j/k (I mean I do that, but just kidding about it being my tip) LOL

Here is my actual tip:
    I avoid using my credit cards / debit cards for any purchases (unless it is my final bill at the hotel or something). Instead I use cash for everything, preferably in Js (Jamaican currency). I carry a couple hundred with me and then I go to the ATM and get more as needed. Time Square has just added a new ATM from Scotia so it will give you either US or Js. I also bring with me some small US bills like $1s and $5s to have for tipping. But no matter how you use your money, Call your bank or credit card company prior to leaving and give them your travel dates and location. Many banks nowadays have international blocks so you dont want to get over there and not be able to use your card and then be stuck with no money. Its just a quick call and they will remove the block during your travel time.

Have fun!

User Info Menu

All very helpful tips... Thank you. Keep em comin.

User Info Menu

Tip re ATM's - if you are in Jamaica over a long weekend (like Xmas, New Years, Easter, Independence day etc) make sure you have enough cash to get you thru the weekend as man times the ATM's will run out of cash and will not be refilled until normal business day resumes.

Tip re credit cards - like the rest of the world, credit card fraud occurs when it is most unwelcome. Avoid using credit card (except for established hotels etc), and do check our credit card statements carefully.