Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trip help! September reach :)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Trip help! September reach :)

Hey guys! Just need some advice for my 25th birthday reach to Portland !!! I want to start booking my stays ahead of time and I’m asking for your recommendations. I would like to to stay at a place with amazing views and that offers breakfast and that drivers won’t completley hate taking us to lol. I want To do a split stay already have a room pending at a BNB in San San right across from Frenchmen’s Cove. We will not be renting a vehicle just depending on drivers. Thank you guys !!!

User Info Menu

Re: Trip help! September reach :)

I'm sure Vi would be able to fill you in on a bunch of places, and the Sea Cliff/Cliff Hanger that she talked about in her trip report looks awesome!
    It would help to know what kind of budget your on though...

User Info Menu

Oh i forgot To put in my budget lol thanks @maralunatic. I’d like to stay under $200 for my second hotel stay. @sammyb thanks for your recommendations i was Looking into sea cliff simply because of the views. I wanted To plan our days by location (so if sea cliff is close to say the mountains we’d do excursions pertaining to that ) i just Read on the reviews that you basically should just get a car for sea cliff since some deem it “boring” and hard to get a taxi. I would be using Devon or someone else on Vi’s approval list lol I’ve driven in Jamaica three times but Port Antonio is NOT gonna be the fourth lol

User Info Menu

Sea Cliff has incredible views!!!! It is a bit out of town so you will incur more fees with taxi but I think it's worth it. There is a restaurant on site and most room rates include a daily breakfast. It's on the main road that goes through Port antonio but just a bit out of town.

Other options but won't come close to the Sea Cliff view is bayview villas closer to town on the main road in a tropical setting has a view from the pool restaurant area and they too usually include a daily breakfast

Tropical Lagoon has a nice assortment of rooms and they are right on the blue lagoon so not a view from most rooms but like I said you are ON the Blue Lagoon

User Info Menu

Hi Vacationlovaa! Going back to Portland???? SWEET!!! I’m excited and jealous LOL. According to your accommodation wish list, these are my suggestions in order of preference. Sea Cliff, Pimento Lodge, Villa Rasta, Goblin Hill @ San San.

Sea Cliff (starting at $125/nite) is a ways out of town (about 25 minutes from downtown Port Antonio). Personally that’s the only inconvenience and a minor one at that. The units are not overly decorated, but immaculate with gorgeous, comfortable beds. The views from the upstairs units are breathtaking. I liked how those units are so private and secure; I wouldn’t hesitate to sleep with the verandah door opened all night. Which I will get do come October. The grounds are spacious and beautiful. Restaurant and bar are on the property. Daily breakfast is included. The people who deem it "boring" probably didn't have pre-arranged drivers/transportation and were stuck at the property. You won't have that problem. Like you said, you can book your excursions that go in that direction…Reach Falls…Under the Rock beach…Reggae Falls… Oh and ask for Mr. Hanna and mention me. You might get a special rate...who knows. He's a lovely man.

Pimento Lodge (starting at $125/nite) Located in Long Bay, about 25 minutes from downtown. These immaculate, romantic AC units are located in a stunning garden setting. Beautiful pool on the property along with a restaurant and bar. The only inconvenience is it’s about ¼ mile up a lane. It’s an easy walk down, but I would NEED a ride going up. I would stay there also, but this is the kind of place where I would miss being a couple. Not something you want to experience alone.

Villa Rasta (starting at $60/nite) also located in Long Bay, about 25 minutes from downtown. Easy access to route taxis. These are cute bungalows on a hill, located directly across the street from Long Bay Beach. The owner, Bigga, is a sweetheart of a host/owner and excellent chef. Not sure if you want to go that rustic, but worth checking it out.

Goblin Hill @ San San. (starting at $160/nite) Gorgeous facility with eye-dropping views. Fantastic reviews. Located about 15 minutes from downtown. Easy access to route taxis. I put this on my list because a friend stayed there and raved about it. I plan to check it out this summer.

Devon will take you anywhere, as you already experienced. Just call him ahead of time and let him know your plans.

Michael is still driving his ice-mobile faithfully. He won’t have a problem with the Long Bay route either.

User Info Menu

I love the responses ! My boyfriend is not a planner he just goes with the flow so you guys really are helping me not go crazy! Thanks as always. Yes i am going back and this time we are staying 4/5 days in port Antonio !!! So i want To be a full on tourist so i can do a trip report ) (if all goes well) are the blue mountains closer to long bay ? I am A sucker for AMAZING views so i want to try the bike excursion. I’m so overly excited to go back that i want To plan it day by day ahead of time so any and all suggestions are completley welcomed ! I dont mind being far out for the scenery honestly life’s so busy that we need to get away (which is why i love Port Antonio so much ) and since we’re making a pit stop (one night ) in ochi it won’t be that long of a drive.

User Info Menu

From the sound of your last post, I do believe Sea Cliff will be a fit for you and your boyfriend. It’s an easy flat access to the main road whereas you have to walk up a lane to the others places I listed. Yes you are guaranteed amazing views. Besides the garden grounds and the majestic Caribbean Sea you’ll also have the John Crow Mountains to visually delight in from the units and the bar. Oh and those gazebos scream relaxation. Now I don’t know about you, but I prefer a kitchen or at least a mini fridge. None of the units at Sea Cliff has either. But I’m sure you can get ice. I’ll be starting the next part to my trip report next week when I go into more detail about Sea Cliff.

The route of the bike excursion is beautiful. It’s a very organized and educational experience and at 25, it will be a breeze for you. The route from Long Bay is through Port Antonio then on to Buff Bay heading south/west from there. If I remember correctly, it took almost 2 hours to get there from Port Antonio. Also, research excursions hiking the John Crow Mountains which are closer to the Long Bay area.

As many times as I’ve been to Portland, I still pre-plan what I’m going to do day-to-day so I think you’re making a good decision to do the same. That’s because there is sooooo much to explore and it takes time getting to some of these locations. THEN once you’re there, you don’t want to leave right away. I’ll be happy to answer your questions to the best of my ability. Besides, I want to make sure you have PLENTY to write about in that report

User Info Menu

Thank you for all of the info ! Already started researching the John crow mountains very very neat! Didn’t even know they existed. Waiting to hear back i wanted To do an “educational” tour of the people and hike to some falls which would alleviate time instead of doing the blue mountains. & also sent a message to Sea cliff to understand the price differences (if one suite meant better views lol )
    Officially staying five days in Portland !
    So advice/question about knutsford. Two actually. I’ve only ever rented a car (I’m crazy i know) or had a a driver for atleast the first day /coming out of the airport. Has anyone ever been able to do some errands easily before going on the bus? (I.e. going to an atm and lunch ?) the bus has a route every two hours. (Staying I’m ochi first night) Just want to hear anyones opinion coming from sangster. I typically Arrive at 1pm and there isn’t a scotia bank at the airport unfortunately.

User Info Menu

We took the Knutsford from Sangster, and went all the way to Port Antonio. Our plane came in around 2, and we cleared customs pretty fast. The bus was scheduled to leave at 5, so we had plenty of time to do other things. The bus stops in Ochi on the way.
    We also took the bus back to Ochi from PA (leaves at 5:30 am)ouch!
    Clean, comfortable and were on time for us!
    I'm so jealous you're going to Portland! DO NOT lose your phone since we need a trip report!

User Info Menu

I am so excited @maralunatic ! Because i get A second chance to relive it and for my birthday i feel like it’s a present in itself. It’s 5:30am now ? We had a 6am one and it was so dark i just wanted to sleep in the car. But watching the sunrise from the route was GORGEOUS. I dont think i could do 11hrs of traveling I’d nap all day and would be awake all night long lol. I commend you all for that one. Oh no no. I know Last time it was because i brought a weekender bag on knutsford and i carried it with me. This reach everything is going in the suitcase other than my purse.

Any favorites for lunch in town? Trying to plan the first night and we arrive around 1:45p how early did you go to reach falls? Trying to see if ican push that it first night since we’re staying in long bay.

Any other recommendations for a mid afternoon activity ?

I’m already saving storage for my photos lol