Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gym in negril ??

User Info Menu

gym in negril ??

I am looking for a gym in Negril. I would like there to be a elliptical step machine and or stationary bike and some sit down and stand up weight machines.

Does anyone know of such a place and what might be the deal?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Couples Swept Away has a pretty decent gym, for a resort. Some say the best in Jamaica. I think they have everything you have mentioned. The stationary bike is recumbant. Heres a link to a 360 view.

http://www.iceportal.com/brochures/m...r=1&type=HD360

If the link doesn't work, go to the Couples website and find the map for Couples Swept Away.

I believe that you can puchase "Fitness Center Only" day passes. I have no idea of the cost. Call 1-800-COUPLES to confirm this.
    Last edited by Johio; 11-09-2011 at 03:09 PM.
    Johio

User Info Menu

There is a "rustic" gym on the Beach Rd. right across from Negril Beach condo's - close to the roundabout. It doesn't have any ellipiticals but has a couple of older treadmills and some broken down weights. I believe it is 4 or 5 US dollars a day....

User Info Menu

Oh WOW! That couples gym looks GREAT! Now to find out about a pass

Thanks

User Info Menu

If I might comment...there is a huge beach with warm water...try walking in there for your exercise!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beachballler View Post
    There is a "rustic" gym on the Beach Rd. right across from Negril Beach condo's - close to the roundabout. It doesn't have any ellipiticals but has a couple of older treadmills and some broken down weights. I believe it is 4 or 5 US dollars a day....
    The Negril Gym - the one across from NBCC - has been my gym in Negril for decades. It's very basic. The elliptical is working but has no resistance. My usual routine is to run on the road & then hit the gym. The times I've used the gym for cardio, even using the elliptical w/ no resistance has been OK. They have numerous treadmills (4-5?) & several bikes. They also have a step machine but I'm not sure how workable it is. I primarily use the floor work area upstairs for my pilates/yoga & the slant board for abs. When I can get my resistance work in downstairs, I do that too. It's not like your local Bally's or LA Fitness, for sure. They have a weekly rate as well. Depending on where you'll be staying, this might be worth looking into for your fitness needs. Their weekly rates are a bargain compared to Couples. Me... convenience rules. My gym use is included in my TS fees so that makes it extra nice for me on top of the convenience.

User Info Menu

Swept Away Gym fits the bill.

User Info Menu

There comes a time when we are not as spry as we once were. A former Football player (Saturday and almost Sunday) and a life time working as an Independent logger (many years before all of the modern equipment) the body has taken more than it's fair share of beatings. Some equipment such as the elliptical or bike is needed because of the motion. For me circular is WAY more comfortable than walking(knees are shot) and weight machines reduce the sway. For example I can bench 300 lbs on a machine but using free weights 1/3 of that amount would tear my shoulders up as they sway and the technique wouldtear at some ole beat up rotator cups.
    Swimming will be an important part of my exercise as it is low impact
    This is why I search for a gym that can take care of an aging Lion like me.

User Info Menu

Nick... you lost me - LOL. I'm 61 & have run for 30 years w/no problems... lucky for me from what I've been told. Swam for years in there along w/ the running so that probably helped. Work out on my bowflex daily. Gave up on my ellipticals since each wore out after 6 years & they were only used when the cold weather set in (Oct. - May in FL). Now use my treadmill in the "cold" season for the past 2 years. Don't like the big thighs the elliptical gives me :-) I like the lean runner's physique. I hope you find what you need.

User Info Menu

if you stay at Idle Awhile you have free access to the sports complex at
    Swept Away