Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fruits & Veggies

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Fruits & Veggies

Vi,

There is a simple reason against bringing in fruits and veggies. The PDF that Bnewb linked states in the frequently asked questions section that the reason is, "To prevent the importation of pests and plant diseases which may be present in these produce which can pose a threat to our food security."

This mentions nothing at all about the importation for sale by importers, but has everything to do with protecting the local plants on the island from invasive pests and diseases that have no natural enemies on the island.

The agency personel to ask is not the TSA here or in another country, but the Jamaica Customs Agency, the folks who printed and posted online the official information about what is and what is not legal to bring to the island.

Because you and other people have not had their fruits and vegetables confiscated in the past is not a reason to do it in the future. Hopefully new visitors are finding this information helpful and some returning visitors will think twice before bringing in something that could possibly wipe out entire plant species in Jamaica.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

*Vi*...if all those people are claiming/declaring their produce on the customs forms and the customs agent (not security) inspects it and allows it through...then I see it as allowed.
    But, as I said...I watched a guy lose his fruit in a customs check & was reprimanded.

I've never brought in fruit or vegetables to any country...we've all heard about plants & animals wiped out/ harmed by foreign infestations.
    And, I simply don't see a need with all the amazing produce available in Jamaica!
    Last edited by Bnewb; 06-04-2018 at 04:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Would hate to start some crazy blight over a few limes.

Keep this in mind. Many airports keep track of who they take stuff from even if it is a minor issue like an apple in a backpack. If you ever sign up for the global entry program that stuff will pop up on the radar screen and you will be disqualified.

Eat, drink, and smoke the local stuff.

User Info Menu

Jamaican limes are way better than the limes you get in most grocery stores in the states. The island limes are like the key lime, very tart although smaller. An Appleton and tonic with a Jamaica lime is to die for. Jamaica lime pie with condensed milk is unbelievable!! I imagine you can get as many limes as you want in the market in Sav-La-Mar.

User Info Menu

Bnewb, on one visit, I did check the box “yes I am bringing fruit” on the customs form. I was pulled aside by a customs officer and asked for a permit. When I showed them my bag of limes, I was told NOT to check that box if the food/fruit is in my luggage or on my person. It was explained to me that question on the customs form is for vendors shipping produce/goods into the country that will or has arrived at a wharf. In which case, a permit is required.

Rob & Bnewb, I respect both of your views, however I lived this over and over. I would never come on this message board and relate an untrue experience. The only reason I contribute details about taking food to Jamaica is for people who, like me, are either on a travel budget, travel with children, have dietary restrictions or are extremely picky.

Wouldn’t you agree additional clarification COULD be provided for printed text? Thus the reason why some have a Q & A segment. However, what happens to an individual in real life is tangible proof. Rob, you do an excellent job of researching questionable statements or hearsay when it comes up. Since I am not the only one on this board who takes fruit to Jamaica without incident, would it not be worth it for Negril.com to simply confirm from a source other than a dated poster its actual interpretation? If I am wrong I will never encourage travelers to take fruit to Jamaica via this board.

User Info Menu

*Vi*..I've already said it's up to customs to allow your limes or not and I don't think I said your story is untrue.

I can also only tell you what I've experienced...
    I've called Agriculture Jamaica many times with these kinds of questions including the regular question about bringing in seeds (again which I don't understand bringing) and they have always said...fresh fruit, vegetables & seeds are not permitted.
    If customs in Montego Bay are permitting the goods...maybe Agriculture Jamaica needs to have a chat with them...I don't know what else to say...except that
    I prefer to respect the law (that I've read & been told) about fresh produce.
    The produce in Jamaica is relatively cheap/affordable for a tourist and I don't see a need to take a chance bringing any with me.

Just a fyi...the poster you said is dated is from their 2018 website.
    Last edited by Bnewb; 06-04-2018 at 06:00 PM.

User Info Menu

*deep sigh

User Info Menu

Good grief. It's illegal. Don't bring it.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    You are not permitted to bring any fresh fruit or vegetable into Jamaica

Cap
    Many of us live in places where alien invasive species are raining havoc on native species and agricultural crops. The camp fire wood transport prohibition is an example many of us are familiar with.

We love a bit of lime to put in our rum drinks and are almost always frustrated by the lack of them in Jan/Feb so next year, I'll just bring a plastic lime shaped dispenser of lime juice! Our friends have a sour orange tree in their yard that offers a local alternative and they make a mean margarita with them! Respect the ecology! --Marblehead
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

All produce imported into the US (and thus most anything leaving the US) has been treated to kill any potential organisms. And I think it's at best in poor taste for everyone to jump on vi about simply relating her experience. This kind of thing is exactly why I don't post here much at all (I realize nobody cares about that, but I can't be the only one).

If the actual customs official directly told her that it applies to commercial importers, that should at least be acknowledged. But all anyone seems to want to do is argue about it. It's a bad look.