Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fruits & Veggies

User Info Menu

Fruits & Veggies

What’s the best place to stock up on fruits & vegetables on the drive from Montego Bay to Negril. Coming in July and worried that lots of places in Negril will be closed or not super stocked during low season. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Re: Fruits & Veggies

Ask your driver. If it's Linston you'll have no problem!

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

You won't have a problem finding fruits and veggies.
    On the way from Mobay to Negril you'll find at least one large market area in each town you pass through.
    Around Negril...there are quite a few trucks selling fresh produce...just stop and check to see what they offer. There's also a regular market up the road behind Yellow Computers near the round about.
    I find during the slow season (actually during high season also) the freshest produce can be found at Quality Traders aka the Green Store.

User Info Menu

I suggest u bring a bag of limes from home. Limes can be difficult to
    come by (in my experience).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ever72 View Post
    I suggest u bring a bag of limes from home. Limes can be difficult to
    come by (in my experience).
    You are not permitted to bring any fresh fruit or vegetable into Jamaica

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

True, Cap. You can’t bring anything back to the states with you either. Got busted by USDA trying to smuggle some guinips back with me.

User Info Menu

I've been taking limes to Jamaica for over 6 years for the reason Ever72 stated plus the size difference. They are always in my carry-on so I am not smuggling them in. In March I took a dozen in a clear plastic bag. I put it in a bin at security check point. Many times when my bags are randomly inspected in Jamaica, the agents look at them and put them back in my bags. Never EVER a problem.

User Info Menu

*Vi*...while they've allowed you to go through with your limes, I can promise you the Ministry of Agriculture is not happy with it and you're still technically not allowed to bring in fresh fruit or vegetables as Captain D has stated.
    I watched a gentleman get into trouble for attempting to bring grapes into Jamaica, so I'm not sure why they were allowing your limes.
    Here's the pdf for restricted items into Jamaica...
    https://www.jacustoms.gov.jm/sites/d...on%20Items.pdf
    Last edited by Bnewb; 06-04-2018 at 09:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks all!

User Info Menu

Thank you for your response, Bnewb. I respect everyone’s voice of concern regarding this subject. But how can they allow me to bring them, yet still be technically not allowed???

You see, I researched on-line seeking specific restrictions on bringing food to Jamaica. As a follow up to the research I asked Jamaican TSA agents (at least 4 different occasions) if it unadvisable or unlawful to bring the limes since I had them with me. Each time I was told it is not a problem to bring them for personal use. I was also told that the permit requirements and most restrictions, as stated in your attachment (last update 2015), are directed at merchants importing goods, including fruits and vegetables, for resale. Based on my “actual” experiences of never having my fruit confiscated and clarification received from those in authority, I’m not breaking importation regulations or violating restrictions…not even technically.

But then again, this is me along with many other folks who regularly take fruits and vegetables among other food products, to Jamaica with no problem…not even an official caution or warning. Therefore being this is a personal decision, from now on, I will only occasionally mention the crazy food items I take to Jamaica 3 times a year in my trip reports and not within a post on the general forum.