Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racial Issues/Discrimination? (Please say nope - no worries - not in Negril)

User Info Menu

Racial Issues/Discrimination? (Please say nope - no worries - not in Negril)

Geez I feel bad that I even have to ask these questions, and sincerely want to assure you I have only the best of intentions. I am NOT trying to stir the pot.

We have our second trip to Negril planned for January and are my brother in law and new sister in law are joining us. As background, my husband and I - along with his brother - are about as mid-western folks as you can get - right down to being blond hair blue eye palefaces. My husband and I had our best vacation ever in Negril and want to share this with family. My new sister in law - who I absolutely adore (and the best thing that has happened to our family in years) is originally from Liberia. She is a beautiful dark skinned woman, educated, fluent in several languages and well traveled - just has never been to Jamaica or other Caribbean islands. Should we have any concerns about how she may be treated during our visit by others? I want to say no - based on my experience with all of the warm people we met - but wanted to check in with others to get a sense of what we might encounter. What is triggering my concerns is a recent incident here in Minnesota where my sister in law was treated poorly. Sadly this is all new to me and I did what I could to turn the situation around but we were both feeling bad. We want to prep ourselves to ensure we have the best time possible -- which might mean avoiding some venues, etc. For what it's worth - we are staying at CCLP (LOVED it!!) and have several day trips planned with a private driver.

Appreciate your insights!!

User Info Menu

Re: Racial Issues/Discrimination? (Please say nope - no worries - not in Negril)

Anokagirl...are you asking in particular about how she might be treated by locals or tourists?

User Info Menu

Re: Racial Issues/Discrimination? (Please say nope - no worries - not in Negril)

I guess wondering more about the locals, especially when we off off the beaten path?

User Info Menu

The U.S has a major problem now with folks thinking they can say whatever they want ……...nope, no problem not in Negril !!!

User Info Menu

Educated people of color are treated with great respect in my district

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by anokagirl View Post
    I guess wondering more about the locals, especially when we off off the beaten path?
    wait- you're asking if jamaicans are going to be racist or racially insensitive to your african sister in law and not if white tourists are going to be racist or racially insensitive to your sister in law?

i could go into a whole thing about how i've only been to jamaica with white people twice in 25 years and those are the only 2 times i've ever had any kind of awkward interactions, but i'm gonna keep it cute and say that jamaicans love when black tourists (especially black tourists from africa or other prts of the caribbean) spend time in ja.

my husband and son are from port au prince- my husband is SUPER haitian, and, after they figure out he's actually not jamaican, people are FASCINATED by the fact that he's from haiti (and not a drug dealer or a rich, white haitian, but again- i'm gonna keep it cute and leave it at that). i'm sure your sister-in-law will get the same warm welcome, especially since she's african.

User Info Menu

about the only discrimination, I have ever heard of or saw was were to any LGBT's, especially Gays.....they are a very straight race.........
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    they are a very straight race.........
    Jamaica has the same percentage of gays as anywhere else. The closet, however is much deeper.

Which has nothing to do with the original post

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    Jamaica has the same percentage of gays as anywhere else. The closet, however is much deeper.

Which has nothing to do with the original post

Cap
    not to derail the original post, but i agree 100%.

User Info Menu

It took some thinking ahead of time to post this...anokagirl. It's ok. Don't worry. I would say no to your question. I would love to meet and talk with your new sister-in- law. {we are going to be in Negril in January} So, who knows? Just my thoughts on this. Should be fine. Shouldn't be Trumpers there.