Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Racial Issues/Discrimination? (Please say nope - no worries - not in Negril)

User Info Menu

Re: Racial Issues/Discrimination? (Please say nope - no worries - not in Negril)

I guess I'm a bit confused as to why "mid-western folks" would be treated better than someone from "Liberia".
    She won't be treated poorly by the locals...she'll be treated with just as much respect as any mid-westerners...if not with more respect because of her birth place.

And, not wanting to derail this thread either...but LGBT isn't as closeted as some people think...

User Info Menu

Re: Racial Issues/Discrimination? (Please say nope - no worries - not in Negril)

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollfarmer View Post
    It took some thinking ahead of time to post this...anokagirl. It's ok. Don't worry. I would say no to your question. I would love to meet and talk with your new sister-in- law. {we are going to be in Negril in January} So, who knows? Just my thoughts on this. Should be fine. Shouldn't be Trumpers there.
    Trump wasn't running in the mid '90's when we first went and had an amazing time. Or during any of our other trips to the Yacht Club. But guess Trumpers will be there on our next trip, which we're starting to plan now, since we both voted for him.

But hopefully your negative energies about others political leanings won't cross our happy nonpolitical vacation minded paths!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by anokagirl View Post
    Geez I feel bad that I even have to ask these questions, and sincerely want to assure you I have only the best of intentions. I am NOT trying to stir the pot.

We have our second trip to Negril planned for January and are my brother in law and new sister in law are joining us. As background, my husband and I - along with his brother - are about as mid-western folks as you can get - right down to being blond hair blue eye palefaces. My husband and I had our best vacation ever in Negril and want to share this with family. My new sister in law - who I absolutely adore (and the best thing that has happened to our family in years) is originally from Liberia. She is a beautiful dark skinned woman, educated, fluent in several languages and well traveled - just has never been to Jamaica or other Caribbean islands. Should we have any concerns about how she may be treated during our visit by others? I want to say no - based on my experience with all of the warm people we met - but wanted to check in with others to get a sense of what we might encounter. What is triggering my concerns is a recent incident here in Minnesota where my sister in law was treated poorly. Sadly this is all new to me and I did what I could to turn the situation around but we were both feeling bad. We want to prep ourselves to ensure we have the best time possible -- which might mean avoiding some venues, etc. For what it's worth - we are staying at CCLP (LOVED it!!) and have several day trips planned with a private driver.

Appreciate your insights!!
    First, let me say, "Jamaica ain't no Minnesota" (not that there is anything wrong with Minnesota). You will find Jamaicans to be receptive and generally tolerant to anyone who has money and pays their bills.
    I live out on the island much of the time (up to 6 months a year) when I am in Jamaica and I almost never experience anything disagreeable except when I don't want to pay the price for whatever is offered to me at a price I feel is too high.
    Once that has been resolved through some give and take, all is "Irie" again.

We all worry a little too much about the way our friends and relatives will be treated on their visits but soon realize they get treated just like you do.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Anokagirl...In Negril, I have always found people from all walks of life have been very accepting, as well as accepted. I hope that is what you encounter as well! I say go and expect to be treated as you would treat others!! Have a blast!

It is a little disheartening however that on this board, in this thread, a couple people seem to be less accepting of some. It always amazes me that people can make broad statements about people based on their country or voting decisions.

Sorry for the rant Rob, but I felt I had to speak my mind about it, right or wrong.

Have a great day EVERYONE!
    Last edited by butch; 06-10-2018 at 07:59 AM. Reason: added "a couple people"

User Info Menu

I think the OP’s concern is not how her sister in law will be accepted as a woman of color, but how she will be accepted as a woman of color in an inter-racial relationship. I’m white, and married to a Hispanic woman, and on rare occasion have experienced racism. Thankfully never in Negril.
    Although most society’s and people these days are very acceptive, there are those rare, extreamly ignorant individuals stuck in the dark ages out there. I’d expect the OP and her family, including her sister in law, will have a great time in Negril! If they cross the path of such a person, local or tourist, feel sorry for them and move on and continue having a great time.
    Last edited by JohnNYC; 06-10-2018 at 07:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Im a trumper as well....that makes me racist? Rockandrollfarmer....really? Its funny that in a thread about racisim you would make a racist remark....some of best friends are people of color who btw are republicans as well

User Info Menu

�� When you can almost guess that a question in a thread will take a right (or left) turn ��