Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rest In Peace Bentley

User Info Menu

Rest In Peace Bentley

User Info Menu

Re: Rest In Peace Bentley

Quote Originally Posted by FarOutWestEnder View Post
    This one make NO SENSE to me WHATSOEVER. From a great chef to a man wandering around without control of his mind anymore, but still the sweetest ever. Why anyone would harm him I have NO CLUE. Could NOT have been robbery as he has nothing to take. Could not have been anger as he no longer had that emotion. I am so hurt by this.

User Info Menu

This is sad! Rest in peace Bentley.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Bentley was the owner and head chef at Bentley's Crab House on Ella Drive on Negril's West End. I first met him about 28 years ago and we remained friends. It is hard to watch a friend go through the personal demons of mental illness.

He has been taking medication for his condition about as long as I have known him. This latest bout started a few years back when his business once again took off and unfortunately it was more than he could handle. He had to be hospitalized and medicated in order to protect himself and others.

For quite some time his condition seemed to be worsening and he had been having issues while wandering the West End and the center of Negril. He was found by the pier, apparently died from drowning.

R. I. P my friend, at long last your demons are silenced.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Very sad indeed
    PARADISE IS A STATE OF MIND

User Info Menu

Very sad. Rest in Peace Bentley. I have watched friends and family members fight their demons. It's hard to see anyone go through this.

User Info Menu

Bentley should be, and will be remembered for his world famous crab cakes, but Bentley would cook anything you wanted if you just supplied the ingredients. Many good times up on Bentley's deck and one thing about Bentley, he never stopped laughing. While most of us were wondering if we are going to fall through the deck, and if so, would we have to grab that low lying current wire to break our fall, Bentley would be in the kitchen telling stories and laughing his head off.

Bentley could never remember anyone's name so he started giving nicknames. It came to the point that we actually had nicknaming parties on his deck. After a few weeks of consideration, those of us that hadn't been named would line up and Bentley would walk down the line giving out our new names. The day I was named, the guy beside me, who had a rather large nose, became Lizard Nose, and my wife was mortified at what my name would be. When he got to me, from that day on I would be referred to on the island as...Hunter. Ya, I can live with that as Bentley knew that I was, at that time, a well seasoned police officer, hence, hunter. My wife became Mrs. Hunter which is a lot better than Mrs Lizard Nose.

Many a day we would be sitting on the deck at Peewee's cottage, and of course didn't take long to run out of beer. Just a scream across the road to Bentley and down he would come with a few more cold beers for us. He could never stay and talk for long because he always had something on the stove, he would stay just long enough to tell an outrageous story and then laugh all the way back upstairs.

Bentley, I will remember you for what you were and not for what you became. There are no demons where you are right now, and yes, I think I can hear you laughing right now. RIP my friend.

User Info Menu

I'll never forget the first time I arranged a dinner with him; "5 'tings on a plate mon" was what he told us. He was so proud of his food. I'll remember him as the great host he was. Rest in peace Bentley, you will be sorely missed.

User Info Menu

So sad, Many good times on Bentleys' deck. Loved his laugh, and he was so proud of his food and his restaurant. He would stand down at the WestEnd Road in a white coat and chefs' hat and do what he could to encourage you to make the trek up the lane. In his prime he was a tremendous character. Last met him in early May, a lost soul. Such a sad end, R.I.P. Bentley
    [/image.php?code=0XT1330613XXX14th reach. soon come[/img][/url]

User Info Menu

Bentley in better days.
    Attachment 51561

Attachment 51562

Attachment 51563Attachment 51564Attachment 51565

Regards,
    Bob