Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Payment for future apartment rental via PayPal

User Info Menu

Re: Payment for future apartment rental via PayPal

Used to be able to send through XOOM for pickup at Victoria Mutual Bank until they restricted it to a maximum $300 usd. The recipient would have to go somewhere like World of Sports in Negril to pick up larger amounts, not convenient and more risk to carry it farther.

I've used Xoom to send money to a bank account. That also got ruined by a later requirement to pick up from a bank in Montego Bay, after filling out some forms {sigh} XOOM is really good about cancelling transactions if you end up in a mess like that and don't want to continue.

Currently I send directly to bank account, just need the bank's SWIFT number, recipient account number, their real name and address. The acknowledgement usually says about 7 days to reach their account but it often gets there sooner; they can call the bank and ask.

I bank with Schwab, an international wire costs $35. Its VERY EASY to do once you have the bank and account info. And they don't have to travel with cash.

If the recipient has a USD account (and you send USD) that's good. You can also send to their Jamaican dollar account, but there will be conversion fees on their end, which comes out of what you have sent them.

FYI, the SWIFT for NCB is JNCBJMKX B-I-N-G-O ee-eye-ee-eye-oh LOL

Last edited by Lola; 07-15-2018 at 09:08 AM.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Lola;204137]Used to be able to send through XOOM for pickup at Victoria Mutual Bank until they restricted it to a maximum $300 usd. The recipient would have to go somewhere like World of Sports in Negril to pick up larger amounts, not convenient and more risk to carry it farther.

Lola,
    Very interesting about a $300 limit per transaction with Xoom at VMB. That is great information to have before we go.

Where is World of Sports and why is it more risky? Do they allow as much as $1000 US per transfer?
    Otherwise its multiple trips to an ATM (where I assume there is also a maximum withdrawal limit) and the risks that go along with ATM usage. Or multiple trips to cambio with risks, etc.

Administrator

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=cbtx;204160]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Used to be able to send through XOOM for pickup at Victoria Mutual Bank until they restricted it to a maximum $300 usd. The recipient would have to go somewhere like World of Sports in Negril to pick up larger amounts, not convenient and more risk to carry it farther.

Lola,
    Very interesting about a $300 limit per transaction with Xoom at VMB. That is great information to have before we go.

Where is World of Sports and why is it more risky? Do they allow as much as $1000 US per transfer?
    Otherwise its multiple trips to an ATM (where I assume there is also a maximum withdrawal limit) and the risks that go along with ATM usage. Or multiple trips to cambio with risks, etc.
    Cbtx,

The us$300 limit is because of the requirements of the US that limits daily transaction. This is due to the US money laundering laws. You cannot have a $1000 transaction other than buying something at a store.

World of Sports is right next to Value Master. As for being "risky", this is a xoom transfer location inside a store. Anyone in the store can witness your transaction. It is not an enclosed ATM, thus more risky.

The best solution, while on vacation anywhere is to make sure that you have the best ATM card for international transactions and take out what you need for a day or two. Many places accept cards now so you can save your cash for the smaller places. I would avoid using your card for cash advances unless unavoidable.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I sent a sample payment of $300US to a friend's NCB account. The cost on my end was $4.99US and there was no cost on the receiver's end. The exchange rate was $128J/$1US. I sent the funds on 7/30 in the AM and the funds were available by 7/31 at the end of the business day. I'm very happy with this. Thanks cbtx for the referral!
    Tom Hudson
    Self-Employed CPA
    Founder, Domaine Hudson wine bar & eatery, Wilmington, DE

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hudson View Post
    I sent a sample payment of $300US to a friend's NCB account. The cost on my end was $4.99US and there was no cost on the receiver's end. The exchange rate was $128J/$1US. I sent the funds on 7/30 in the AM and the funds were available by 7/31 at the end of the business day. I'm very happy with this. Thanks cbtx for the referral!

What did you send it with? THanks

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    What did you send it with? THanks

Cap
    He used Xoom.com

User Info Menu

You are very welcome, sadly for my purpose it won't work in Negril but it is a easy and inexpensive way to transfer $. Glad it worked for you.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Tom,

Excellent! Glad to know that this worked for you! For future reference for others, did Xoom say what the daily limit per transaction is, and did the recipient had to do anything on their end?

Thanks man!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Tom,

Excellent! Glad to know that this worked for you! For future reference for others, did Xoom say what the daily limit per transaction is, and did the recipient had to do anything on their end?

Thanks man!
    Rob - I didn't see a limit on xoom's website. I just picked $300 based on comments above. I'll try and send a higher amount before I come back down on 20/8. My friend confirmed the funds were in their account. No action was needed on their end. Xoom also texted and emailed both of us with status updates. This certainly beats waiting in line at Moneygram/Western Union locations only to be told (at times) that they a) are out of money b) your ID/paperwork is not proper c) some other BS reason(s).

Mine was simply a transfer to an existing NCB savings account. Funds sent by Xoom for pick up most likely have defined rules for pickup ID, etc. I do not have direct knowledge of those.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Hudson; 07-31-2018 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Tom Hudson
    Self-Employed CPA
    Founder, Domaine Hudson wine bar & eatery, Wilmington, DE