Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Payment for future apartment rental via PayPal

User Info Menu

Payment for future apartment rental via PayPal

I am looking into a long term rental in Negril. For the periods when I am not in Jamaica, is it possible to use PayPal linked to my US Bank to pay rent (and other costs) to a Jamaican bank account? I looked into international wire transfers but the cost was prohibitive. I prefer not to send funds via Western Union or Moneygram.
    Last edited by Tom Hudson; 07-12-2018 at 01:26 PM.
    Tom Hudson
    Self-Employed CPA
    Founder, Domaine Hudson wine bar & eatery, Wilmington, DE

User Info Menu

Re: Payment for future apartment rental via PayPal

You might try Xoom. I know they can transfer out of a US account to Canada. Flat fee of $4.95. It is owned by PayPal
    www.xoom.com

User Info Menu

I think it would be possible to use PayPal, as long as the person your paying uses it. I have paid deposits on rentals in several foreign countries and currencies and it worked great! I have not used it in Jamaica though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agregory View Post
    I think it would be possible to use PayPal, as long as the person your paying uses it. I have paid deposits on rentals in several foreign countries and currencies and it worked great! I have not used it in Jamaica though.
    There is nothing "country" specific as far as Jamaica (in my experience), I have been using PayPal to get money to my best friend at the house in Accompong Town for nearly 10 years now. Of course, what I do is give him a card and he uses the ATM to get the money but I wouldn't think that would make any difference. I will be interested to see if others have tried to send it to someone in Jamaica's account and they did have a problem though.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Jamaica is one of the countries that although Paypal lets you directly pay for things, you cannot directly receive payments. Your account can accumulate the minimum amount for Paypal to cut a check, then they will mail you a check. That takes usually between 4 to 6 weeks, then once you receive it, you deposit it and that take 30 business days to clear. The person receiving the payment does not get it for at least two months.

Accompong, the card you gave your best friend was an ATM card you received in the States from your bank as if you were using the card, correct?

Because of the lotto scamming, payments from other countries are not easy.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Jamaica is one of the countries that although Paypal lets you directly pay for things, you cannot directly receive payments. Your account can accumulate the minimum amount for Paypal to cut a check, then they will mail you a check. That takes usually between 4 to 6 weeks, then once you receive it, you deposit it and that take 30 business days to clear. The person receiving the payment does not get it for at least two months.

Accompong, the card you gave your best friend was an ATM card you received in the States from your bank as if you were using the card, correct?

Because of the lotto scamming, payments from other countries are not easy.
    Yes. Marshall had a card in his name on my US Paypal Account. Thanks for the update on how it works there. I have always wondered if it was different.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Rob - Paypal's sister company, Xoom, appears to differ from what said above and does allow you to send money to a Jamaican bank account. Do you know anyone who uses this?

http://https://www.xoom.com/jamaica/send-money

Thanks - Tom
    Last edited by Tom Hudson; 07-14-2018 at 04:38 PM.
    Tom Hudson
    Self-Employed CPA
    Founder, Domaine Hudson wine bar & eatery, Wilmington, DE

Administrator

User Info Menu

Tom,

You asked about Paypal, not Xoom. Xoom is owned by Paypal as a separate company. Paypal requires a check to be drawn and sent... As I answered Accompong...

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...72275b28239088

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hudson View Post
    Rob - Paypal's sister company, Xoom, appears to differ from what said above and does allow you to send money to a Jamaican bank account. Do you know anyone who uses this?

http://https://www.xoom.com/jamaica/send-money

Thanks - Tom
    I know no one who uses it, but even if I did, that doesnt mean that the person you are renting from will. So please be sure to check with them and ask them to make it available for you.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I think I know why I have not heard about anyone using bank deposits... 18 fun filled pages!

http://www.boj.org.jm/pdf/remittance_guidelines.pdf