Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Few questions about 1st trip to Port Antonio

User Info Menu

Re: Few questions about 1st trip to Port Antonio

Thanks everyone for the responses -- I'll take a look at some old threads and see if I can get some info there.

User Info Menu

Hello everyone I live in east Portland and will be glad to help. The only ATM's are in Porty I use Scotia bank they have two plus one at Texaco NCB is also there but only have one that always has a long line. My favorite beach is Winifred by far and the best place to swim is Blue Lagoon. If your not a swimmer BL is still a beautiful place to see once. I strongly recommend hiring a private driver for a day to go to Porty have him take you to the Folly ruins by the cricket pitch, the Errol Flynn marina and bikini beach. The best jerk chicken on the island is Piggy's and easy to find right as you come into town on the east side. I would then have him drive you to Moore town where Queen Nanny is buried the road there is the most scenic ride here and you can stop along the way for breath taking views. To come here and not go up in the Blue mountains by Section and Hollywell would be a shame especially if you love coffee. I spent 40 years enjoying Negril but once I moved here I only visit Negril on occasion for a couple days. Like Errol Flynns grandson says you haven't been to Jamaica until you visit Portland. Hope I was of some help any other questions just ask I'll do my best to answer them. One love.

User Info Menu

The old brain ain't what it use to be forgot to answer last?. I do all my shopping at Ramtulas. Its Porty's version of the HILO at sunshine village in Negril. On the east side of town last place as you head to Boston on main road. Downtown are the stores the locals use mostly I prefer Kaymals when downtown. If you hire a driver for the day you want to make the most of it here is a possible day trip example.
    Leave Porty at 8:30 a.m. and go to Moore town the morning sun will be shining on the blue mountains the best time to see them stop for views and at Nanny's grave and back at Porty by 10:00 then head to Hollywell in the blue mountains you'll reach before noon. There's a botanical garden and hiking trails very easy to walk the view of Kingston is awesome. You have two choices for the return. Go on to Kingston maybe Port Royal and continue east to Morant Bay and visit famous court house there where the Morant Bay rebellion began then on to a late afternoon at Reach falls and back to Boston. The other return would be just go back to Porty and visit the marina walk around town and stop at folly ruins. Then finish the day with a short stop at Winifred beach. You should be able to do either return option and be back in Boston by 6:00 or 7:00. It will be a long day but I think it is so worth it. A driver for a day like that will be about $200.00 U.S.

User Info Menu

TAH, How come Vi is no longer active on the Negril.com board. I haven't been very active for quite some time myself but Vi always had Port Antonio and Portland front and center. Whappen??

User Info Menu

Hi John. Hope all is good w/ you.

She was publicly chastised by Rob (and Lisa) for telling someone that she brings limes with her to Jamaica, it turned into a big nasty thread, she left. It was pretty unfortunate, IMO. Vi was a very valuable resource to have around the forums. She was also actively trying to contribute to the local PA community, while encouraging others to do likewise. Losing her presence in this forum is a real loss for the site in general. This forum instantly died the day she left.

I even understood a little correction, or what have you coming from Rob. He does have a responsibility to inform visitors about the law. But she wasn't advocating that people flout the law, just related her past experience in the airport. Just a statement of fact, and she was berated by half of the active board users. A lot of ugliness, for no good reason other than pack mentality.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    She was publicly chastised by Rob (and Lisa) for telling someone that she brings limes with her to Jamaica, it turned into a big nasty thread, she left. It was pretty unfortunate, IMO. Vi was a very valuable resource to have around the forums. She was also actively trying to contribute to the local PA community, while encouraging others to do likewise. Losing her presence in this forum is a real loss for the site in general. This forum instantly died the day she left.

I even understood a little correction, or what have you coming from Rob. He does have a responsibility to inform visitors about the law. But she wasn't advocating that people flout the law, just related her past experience in the airport. Just a statement of fact, and she was berated by half of the active board users. A lot of ugliness, for no good reason other than pack mentality.
    that's sad- who knew limes could bring such drama? it really sucks that she bounced. i'm planning my first visit to portland in 13 years and i would've loved to ask her a few questions. pretty much no one here responded to my question about local taxi drivers. and she used to post such great videos.

i spent a lot of time searching for limes in negril in feb. 2017. i mentioned that to my sister, so she brought a few with her when she went in feb. 2018- she didn't get stopped by customs.

i bring raw meat into haiti all the time and should probably look to see if that's against the law- i'm thinking not, since everyone does it.

User Info Menu

I miss Vi's reports....

User Info Menu

I mourn Vi each time I visit this forum, which isn't as frequent since the lime discussion. Very sad

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    Hi John. Hope all is good w/ you.

TAH,

Publicly chastised? That is a little harsh.

My reply to her, after Lisa gave a link to the Jamaica Customs information showing directly that it is illegal to bring limes was as follows:

"Vi,

There is a simple reason against bringing in fruits and veggies. The PDF that Bnewb linked states in the frequently asked questions section that the reason is, "To prevent the importation of pests and plant diseases which may be present in these produce which can pose a threat to our food security."

This mentions nothing at all about the importation for sale by importers, but has everything to do with protecting the local plants on the island from invasive pests and diseases that have no natural enemies on the island.

The agency personel to ask is not the TSA here or in another country, but the Jamaica Customs Agency, the folks who printed and posted online the official information about what is and what is not legal to bring to the island.

Because you and other people have not had their fruits and vegetables confiscated in the past is not a reason to do it in the future. Hopefully new visitors are finding this information helpful and some returning visitors will think twice before bringing in something that could possibly wipe out entire plant species in Jamaica."

As everyone can see, there was no chastising. Just facts stated.

Please don't turn this into a wild 100+ post TA battle.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!