Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Few questions about 1st trip to Port Antonio

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Few questions about 1st trip to Port Antonio

Hi!

So, after 6 trips to Negril, my wife and I will be heading to the other end of the country to stay in Port Antonio for the first time this November. We're super excited to check out another spot, and had a few questions.

First off, we will be staying at Great Huts on Boston Bay. We've heard a lot of good things about this property, and the proximity to both Boston Beach and the jerk centre really fits with what we were looking for. Quick question though: I know that there is an entry fee for Boston Beach now, but since we are staying on the bay, I was wondering if the fee is waived. If not, no problem, but just wanted to check. Does anyone know the entry fee?

As far as our other questions, it's really more about what we should check out, other than some of the highlights like Winnifred and San San Beach, Reach Falls, Blue Lagoon, Rio Grande and all that. Specifically, what should we check out in town? Just some quick info about our style: we are not really AI or resort people (I've actually never stayed on a resort before), and one of our favorite things to do on vacation, and particularly in Jamaica, is a lot of walking around, getting off the beaten path, and exploring the towns. Obviously because of proximity, we know we'll need to cab it to PA's main town, but just wanted to find out what to check out while we're there. Also, we love playing dominoes, so if anyone knows any good spots where people tend to play, we'd love to hear!

We also are interested in checking out Drapers -- we're big reggae heads and have heard that Vinyl Sundays is a great spot to hear the 60s/70s ska, rocksteady, reggae and dancehall, so we'll definitely hit that up.

Lastly, any info about where to get some groceries (beer, rum, snacks, etc) and any ATMs or cambios in the area (because of where we're stying, close to Boston Bay would be great, but if they're all more near the town, then we can adjust as necessary).

Thanks for any info you can give, whether the questions I asked, or for anything else you believe would be helpful.

Chris

User Info Menu

Re: Few questions about 1st trip to Port Antonio

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter141 View Post
    Hi!

So, after 6 trips to Negril, my wife and I will be heading to the other end of the country to stay in Port Antonio for the first time this November. We're super excited to check out another spot, and had a few questions.

First off, we will be staying at Great Huts on Boston Bay. We've heard a lot of good things about this property, and the proximity to both Boston Beach and the jerk centre really fits with what we were looking for. Quick question though: I know that there is an entry fee for Boston Beach now, but since we are staying on the bay, I was wondering if the fee is waived. If not, no problem, but just wanted to check. Does anyone know the entry fee?

As far as our other questions, it's really more about what we should check out, other than some of the highlights like Winnifred and San San Beach, Reach Falls, Blue Lagoon, Rio Grande and all that. Specifically, what should we check out in town? Just some quick info about our style: we are not really AI or resort people (I've actually never stayed on a resort before), and one of our favorite things to do on vacation, and particularly in Jamaica, is a lot of walking around, getting off the beaten path, and exploring the towns. Obviously because of proximity, we know we'll need to cab it to PA's main town, but just wanted to find out what to check out while we're there. Also, we love playing dominoes, so if anyone knows any good spots where people tend to play, we'd love to hear!

We also are interested in checking out Drapers -- we're big reggae heads and have heard that Vinyl Sundays is a great spot to hear the 60s/70s ska, rocksteady, reggae and dancehall, so we'll definitely hit that up.

Lastly, any info about where to get some groceries (beer, rum, snacks, etc) and any ATMs or cambios in the area (because of where we're stying, close to Boston Bay would be great, but if they're all more near the town, then we can adjust as necessary).

Thanks for any info you can give, whether the questions I asked, or for anything else you believe would be helpful.

Chris
    Unfortunately, you won't get the depth of info that you would have gotten a month ago. One of the most enthusiastic, and helpful travelers was essentially ran off the site. She had/has a great depth of knowledge of the area, and would have happily helped you. But alas, she is no longer here. For shame. There are a couple others who know the area, but not like she does. It's sad, really.

User Info Menu

I totally agree with what TAH says. VI was a wonderful guide to the PA area, and always willing to help newbies.
    Check out her past trip reports, because there is still a huge amount of useful information that she posted which may answer some of your questions. You'll also never go wrong if you just relax and go with the flow.
    We went to PA last February and enjoyed it very much, and I hope you also have a wonderful time!

User Info Menu

This is sad news about Vi, I was hoping she'd come back...

Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    Unfortunately, you won't get the depth of info that you would have gotten a month ago. One of the most enthusiastic, and helpful travelers was essentially ran off the site. She had/has a great depth of knowledge of the area, and would have happily helped you. But alas, she is no longer here. For shame. There are a couple others who know the area, but not like she does. It's sad, really.

User Info Menu

Hi Drifter!

It is so sad that Vi isn't on here anymore She helped me greatly with my one trip to Portland in 2017. We were there for 8 nights and LOVED it!

I don't have too much advice, other than very highly recommending Reach Falls! It is absolutely beautiful, especially if you go up the falls with a guide. The beginning may be a bit intimidating (climbing up the falls), but as long as you have water shoes on and are a mobile person, you will do just fine and I can guarantee that you will not forget it! I very much recommend flexible water shoes, not Keens or Chacos. LMK if you have any questions about visiting Reach Falls.

I also highly recommend going to the craft market in Port Antonio. If you've read Vi's trip reports, she mentions Rock Bottom, the wood carver. He is a great guy and does beautiful work! There are a few little shops/stalls with cute, inexpensive souvenirs. And when we were there we enjoyed smoothies and breakfast at the little restaurant in the market (on the left while facing the water). I believe there was a bar there too.

You didn't mention Frenchman's Cove, but I would also highly recommend a visit there if you feel like relaxing on the beach, taking a dip in water, swinging over the water and maybe snorkeling up the stream. I honestly thought that Blue Lagoon was a little overrated and would choose Frenchman's over it. But it was also overcast and very windy when we were at Blue Lagoon, so that could be why.

Enjoy your trip! I am definitely not an expert on the area, but I can tell you that we will be back

BTW - I don't think we ever had to get cash during our visit, so IDK where an ATM is. We must have brought plenty of J$ from Negril to cover our visit to PA.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agregory View Post
    Hi Drifter!

It is so sad that Vi isn't on here anymore She helped me greatly with my one trip to Portland in 2017. We were there for 8 nights and LOVED it!

I don't have too much advice, other than very highly recommending Reach Falls! It is absolutely beautiful, especially if you go up the falls with a guide. The beginning may be a bit intimidating (climbing up the falls), but as long as you have water shoes on and are a mobile person, you will do just fine and I can guarantee that you will not forget it! I very much recommend flexible water shoes, not Keens or Chacos. LMK if you have any questions about visiting Reach Falls.

I also highly recommend going to the craft market in Port Antonio. If you've read Vi's trip reports, she mentions Rock Bottom, the wood carver. He is a great guy and does beautiful work! There are a few little shops/stalls with cute, inexpensive souvenirs. And when we were there we enjoyed smoothies and breakfast at the little restaurant in the market (on the left while facing the water). I believe there was a bar there too.

You didn't mention Frenchman's Cove, but I would also highly recommend a visit there if you feel like relaxing on the beach, taking a dip in water, swinging over the water and maybe snorkeling up the stream. I honestly thought that Blue Lagoon was a little overrated and would choose Frenchman's over it. But it was also overcast and very windy when we were at Blue Lagoon, so that could be why.

Enjoy your trip! I am definitely not an expert on the area, but I can tell you that we will be back

BTW - I don't think we ever had to get cash during our visit, so IDK where an ATM is. We must have brought plenty of J$ from Negril to cover our visit to PA.

She helped a lot of people. Rob could have handled the whole thing a lot differently, and still gotten his point across, or even afterward could have made some kind of gesture to keep her around. But... here we are.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    She helped a lot of people. Rob could have handled the whole thing a lot differently, and still gotten his point across, or even afterward could have made some kind of gesture to keep her around. But... here we are.
    Yep.

User Info Menu

Vi, if you aren't coming back, please let us know where to find your amazing and colorful trip reports! Please

User Info Menu

We went to the cambio that was in the little grocery store downtown (I think it's by the Lime or Digicel store). The cambio is located up the stairs to your left when you walk in. Most people will give you directions if you ask. I don't know of any places around Boston Beach, sorry.

Thumbs up on what agregory said, and I would also recommend the rafting on the Rio Grande.

User Info Menu

TAH,
    I completely agree with you!