Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: My jerk ingredient

User Info Menu

My jerk ingredient

Name:  460A0A9B-1509-42B0-B44A-72106EA17718.jpg
Views: 4094
Size:  20.1 KBWe have tried making jerk chicken many times, came close but was always missing something.
    I found a pimento cutting in Florida a few years ago and have managed to keep alive. While grilling chicken in my Webber we add a few leaves and some small pieces of wood from plant. Really helps add that authentic flavor. With pimento/allspice wood so expensive this is a good option.

User Info Menu

Re: My jerk ingredient

Quote Originally Posted by tubes View Post
    Name:  460A0A9B-1509-42B0-B44A-72106EA17718.jpg
Views: 4094
Size:  20.1 KBWe have tried making jerk chicken many times, came close but was always missing something.
    I found a pimento cutting in Florida a few years ago and have managed to keep alive. While grilling chicken in my Webber we add a few leaves and some small pieces of wood from plant. Really helps add that authentic flavor. With pimento/allspice wood so expensive this is a good option.
    Tubes,
    The pimento wood chips and leaves must add unbelievable flavour. Along with enough scallion and scotch bonnet in the marinade, you must be making some great jerk chicken!

User Info Menu

I soak cherry or apple wood chips in all spice for a number of days and it has worked marvelously
    Wish I could grow the real one but live in Wisconsin

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zeus View Post
    I soak cherry or apple wood chips in all spice for a number of days and it has worked marvelously
    Wish I could grow the real one but live in Wisconsin
    That’s a good idea, soaking in allspice. We r in NJ, the pimento tree stays out for summer then we bring it indoors. Easy to grow. It won’t ever bare berries here tho. It ads a great flavor and the smell coming off the Webber is great. Reminds us of Debar.
    In winter while in house if you pick a leaf and crunch it up it smells like baking pumpkin pie!
    Was the final ingredient to semi authentic jerk. Now if I could duplicate 3 dives granny sauce we would be in heaven.

User Info Menu

I order pimento wood off the internet. Much easier!
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

I get to Negril as often as possible. No dishes to do when you’re done, and the rum punch is always better.
    I’ve actually found a food truck on the upper east side of Manhattan, run by a woman from Kingston. She has an amazing jerk chicken, and every so often a great curry goat! I was suprized to find this on a street corner in NYC
    Last edited by JohnNYC; 08-10-2018 at 06:33 AM.