Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Trip Report - Long Overdue

User Info Menu

First Trip Report - Long Overdue

So after reading a bunch of trip reports, I decided it was time for me to go back and do mine before I forget about them all together. It has been a long time since this first trip (5 years) but I realize now it's selfish not to share with you guys my experiences. So here goes, be gentle...

Day 1

Took an Apple Vacations/USA 3000 flight from Chicago. Everyone on the plane was headed to an all inclusive, mostly in MoBay. We told a few people we were going to stay at a castle on the cliffs in Negril and got some strange looks to say to least. We landed in MoBay, and let the craziness ensue. Crazy long line for customs, but it moved quickly enough. Grabbed our bags and headed outside for our first view of Jamaica. People were everywhere, yelling about taxis. “Yo man , where you going?” they all yelled at once. After a few seconds, I saw Petey, our driver, holding the tiniest Blue Cave Castle sign you could imagine. Introductions all around, then we hop in Petey’s little hatchback for ride to Negril.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  75.7 KB

Talking to Petey on the road, his first (maybe second) question is “You smoke brotha?” I look at him with a mischievous smile and say “Yah mon, but she don’t,” waving back at my girlfriend holding on for dear life in the backseat. He seems confused by this, “She don’t but don’t mind if you do?” he asks. “Yah mon,” I respond. He still seems a little skeptical, but accepts it. “Okay we stop at my friends up da road and smoke,” he tells me as we fly through a curve on the coast road.

Name:  2.jpg
Size:  67.3 KB

After driving on the coast road for a long while, asking questions about Jamaica and life and answering his questions about Chicago and life up there, we stop at a little shack on the side of the road. I’m a little confused why we are stopping here and turn to ask Petey what’s going on, but he’s already hopping out of the car and headed towards the shack. “Okay, let’s go,” I say to my lady, and we’re out and headed up to the counter.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  63.8 KB

I cannot remember Petey’s friends name, but he says hello and we order some beers from him as Petey rolls up a little something for us to enjoy. To this day I haven’t seen anything like that first view. I talk with Petey’s friend for a little bit, and complement the beautiful view from his kitchen. He cracks a little smile and responds with “Yah mon.”

Name:  4.jpg
Size:  66.0 KB

The picture from his place is to this day one of my favorite photos I’ve ever taken. You can see the metal roof and
    the cooking pots, and realize that that’s about all this humble man has, and then you see the gorgeous view he has to look at every day. And he is at peace with the world. That’s when it hit me; how truly special Jamaica is.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  47.7 KB
    Last edited by Finny; 11-10-2011 at 05:50 PM.
    March 2006 - Blue Cave Castle | November 2007 - Beaches Sandy Bay | November 2008 - Blue Cave Castle/Rockhouse/Grand Lido | March 2012 - Blue Cave Castle

User Info Menu

Day 1 (cont'd)

We get to the north end of Seven Mile beach and Petey starts pointing out to us all the resorts we are driving past. My lady sees a sign for Hedonism II and asks him about it. He cracks a little smile and makes a comment about the crazy naked people. We get down to the roundabout and start heading up into the cliffs.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  38.0 KB

If my lady was scared before, that first drive up the cliffs really got her nervous. Those blind curves, combined with driving on the left were intense. Needless to say, we arrived in one piece at the castle, ready for anything.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  82.8 KB

Now I somehow stumbled across Blue Cave Castle on the internet, so I’d seen tons of pictures and knew exactly what to expect. Seeing it in person however, is another story. The sheer size of it, in comparison to everything else in Negril, is amazing. Standing at the edge of the seawall looking down I knew two things. I had found paradise, and I was getting laid tonight.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  60.5 KB

We reserved the upper tower room at the Castle, and it was everything it claimed on their website. Directly over the ocean with the most relaxing sound of the water hitting the rocks. After throwing our bags in the room, Petey gave us a quick tour of the grounds including the old pirates cave.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  70.9 KB

After our tour, we were hungry and asked Petey where we should go. He took us to one of his favorite spots, Chicken Lavish. He introduced us to the owner, a good friend of his. I can’t remember his name, but he was a very nice guy. My girl had to get a picture with him, after telling him how delicious the food was. She still talks about Chicken Lavish to this day!

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  68.6 KB

After our lunch, Petey dropped us back off at the castle. We chilled out for a while, watching our first Negril sunset. I must have been in shock (or just a little too zoned) as I didn’t take on photo of that sunset. Right after the sunset, we decided to head down to Xtabi for dinner. In retrospect, it was stupid to go there after dark, with all the gorgeous views. Regardless, the food was delicious and it was super romantic.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  38.7 KB

After dinner and many drinks, we made our way back to the castle to “go to sleep.” Some damn good “sleep” was had that night.
    March 2006 - Blue Cave Castle | November 2007 - Beaches Sandy Bay | November 2008 - Blue Cave Castle/Rockhouse/Grand Lido | March 2012 - Blue Cave Castle

User Info Menu

HAHAHAHA...YEssss! This is going to be good.

Umm, those two things you were so sure of....well I KNOW the first one is spot on and I'd be shocked if the second didn't come true. LMAO I'm so jealous ya'll stayed in the castle. I was one of the little people over there at Samsara looking across at ya'll with envy. Was planning on snorkeling over there to check out the caves but never did get around to it. Blue Cave Castle looks really cool and I hope to stay there one day.

Gotta say I loved the first stop ya'll made...perfect way to kick off your trip. You nailed it.... The simplicity, the serenity, the beauty. SO special.

Can't wait to read more...thanks for posting. Better late than never right? Even 5 years. LOL
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

nice so far..more,more
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

Day 2

We woke up pretty early (at least for vacation) but excited. We took a walk down the road to what we heard was the best breakfast spot in Negril. We strolled into the front yard of a house, and sat down at a table in the garden. For anyone who has never been there, it is a very cool experience. To this day, if I mention Just Natural, my girl’s eyes light up.

Views: 375
Size:  100.7 KB

We were greeted by the sweetest woman in all of Jamaica, Momma Theresa. We knew what we wanted before she said a word. Two Jamaican breakfasts and some fresh juice. Now I, like many before me, thought the ackee was eggs. In between laughing at my cluelessness, Theresa explained all about Ackee, Saltfish and Johnny Cakes. After our fantastic meal, we said goodbye, and headed back down the road.

Views: 365
Size:  74.1 KB

We got back to the Castle and were both so stuffed we had to lay down and relax. We hung out for a while, then got changed and took a taxi down to Rick’s Cafe. I remember pulling into the entrance of Ricks and thinking, if this is one of the top 10 bars in the world, are the other 9 all in Negril?

Views: 364
Size:  62.3 KB

Admittedly, the cliff divers were cool. I’ve been jumping off high dives and cliffs my whole life, so it wasn’t a huge deal for me. I jumped off the high spot a few times. Every time my lady tried taking a picture, she pushed the shutter too late and all we ever got was a picture of the splash.

Views: 359
Size:  79.0 KB

A diver came up to me asking for a tip. I asked him what for? He said, “I just dove off the cliff, you didn’t see me?” I said no, so was I. He laughed and said look I’ll dive off that tree if you give me a tip. So I said do it and game him some cash. He climbed up and did a little show up there before jumping off and down into the water below. He came back up and asked what I thought. I said “you said you would dive, and you only jumped.” He looked at me surprised, and we both cracked up laughing at the same time. I told him the next time I gave him money it would be for me to jump out of that tree. He just looked at and me and said, “you crazy mon, just crazy,” as he walked away.

Views: 361
Size:  80.1 KB

After watching the sunset at Rick’s, we were ready to leave, but didn’t want to go back to the castle quite yet. We ended up taking a taxi down to Margaritaville on the beach for some more drinks. It was pretty dead inside, maybe two other tables. It was nice to get all caught up on what I had missed in the sports world. After a few more cocktails we headed back to the castle to turn in for the night.

Views: 369
Size:  89.0 KB

User Info Menu

Day 3

After heading back to Just Natural for our second Jamaican Breakfast, we came back to the castle to chill.

Views: 362
Size:  91.9 KB

After I was done with my chill session, we decided to do some swimming and snorkeling. The cave is pretty awesome to swim into, though I should have had some kind of shoes on to walk around in there. The stuff to see when you are snorkeling is amazing. I remember trying to figure out why I would go on a snorkeling tour when I could just jump in right at the castle and see all sorts of marine life.

Views: 354
Size:  89.8 KB

After we were tired out from playing in the water we decided to walk down to 3 Dives for the jerk chicken I had heard all about. Walking up, I was a little surprised that it wasn’t a big building with a patio like everywhere else. No worries though, headed up ordered some Jerk Chicaken and some beers. After walking around looking at all the spots to jump off I went and asked how I get back up. I was told to use the ladder at Xtabi, so I said what the hell and took the plunge.

Views: 357
Size:  91.4 KB

“Why go stand in line at Rick’s when I can jump right here,” I told my lady when I got back up. She gave me the same look as the cliff diver at ricks and said, “your crazy mon.” After some deliciously hot jerk, we watched the sun set over the cliffs of Negril, both realizing this would be our last evening in Jamaica.

Views: 285
Size:  34.6 KB

It was a sad realization, but we both had to get back, as we had a long drive back to the college we were both attending at the time. Sitting at 3 Dives we both made a vow we would never again only come to Negril for anything less than a full week.
    The rest of the evening was a blur as I tried desperately to smoke everything I had left. It was a valiant effort, but in the end it was a battle I lost. Falling asleep with the sound of the waves hitting the rocks 70 feet below us I had the most relaxing rest possible.

User Info Menu

Day 4

The next morning was a blur as well. We barely had time to enjoy Blue Cave’s delicious coffee before rushing out, thanking everyone we saw on the way. The drive to MoBay was awfully quiet as we were both sad we had to leave paradise and head back to Chicago.

Views: 353
Size:  99.6 KB

Arriving at the airport, we had some extra time to mess around, so we looked in all the shops, bought some CDs, and sat in the Jamaican bobsled. Sitting at the gate waiting to board the plane, we both started trying to plan when we could come back. I would be graduating in two months, and had to worry about finding a job or going to grad school. She had another year left in school and was just as curious about those things as I was. But for those three perfect days in paradise, we had no worries.

Views: 351
Size:  91.2 KB

Respect,
    Finny

User Info Menu

good report, GREAT details! god I can so relate to everything you did and everywhere you went ..... You must be a good swimmer, i have enough trouble finding the Xtabi ladder when I jump right in front of it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Finny View Post
    ...Now I somehow stumbled across Blue Cave Castle on the internet, so I’d seen tons of pictures and knew exactly what to expect. Seeing it in person however, is another story. The sheer size of it, in comparison to everything else in Negril, is amazing. Standing at the edge of the seawall looking down I knew two things. I had found paradise, and I was getting laid tonight...
    lol - Love it!

My friend stayed at Blue Cave Castle and I went to visit him there. The sweeping views and the towering castle.. so stunning. I like how there was a staircase leading down to the underwater cave. The rooms we decorated so cool too!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences! I so enjoyed this trip report! It was a great read with such beautiful pictures. I wanted it to keep going on and on.. I was bummed when I hit day 4 and you were heading to the airport already! nooo!

I can relate to that feeling of just arriving and getting into the vibe and feeling that relaxation wash over you... then it's over just too soon. It's always like that for us too!. You have the right perspective, it's all about the experience and the memories. It sounds like you both had an amazing time!
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

Ya'll sound like fun peeps. Enjoyed the report so much!!!
    Stir IT UP