Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: ATT and WiFi question

User Info Menu

ATT and WiFi question

If you are using a ATT cell phone in a WiFi area in ja
    Will u he charged anything ?

Thanks in advance

User Info Menu

Re: ATT and WiFi question

AT&T will charge you the minute you turn on your phone in Jamaica, if you're not careful. In order to avoid roaming/data charges, put your phone in airplane mode before you arrive at MBJ and keep it that way for the duration of the trip. You can then turn on wifi-only and connect to the wifi networks at your hotel, restaurants and bars.

User Info Menu

Also be careful if you buy a short term international plan from att with all texts and calls included for x amount of dollars. I did that thinking I was fine but it didn't include roaming and I got crushed on my next bill for that.
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Thank you !

User Info Menu

I agree with all of the above, and we made phone calls using Facebook messenger back to the US so nothing surprising on out AT&T bill while we were there.
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

The safest plan with AT&T to avoid those crazy roaming charges is to turn on the $10 per day international calling. You are only charged for the days you use it. Absolutely no surprise charges, just your normal plan charges. One other tip, I travel with an iPad and if there is no Wi-Fi availability I make my phone a hotspot to avoid charges on the iPad.

User Info Menu

I use AT&T and have never had a problem.
    Just remember to put the phone in airplane mode, then turn WiFi back on. Use messenger or email to communicate. Don’t try to make phone calls unless you have lots of extra cash.

User Info Menu

I would avoid even the $10 a day plan and download a free wifi calling/messaging app like whatsapp or iphone's facetime/imessage. Put your phone, and all attached devices, like apple watch, tablets, etc., in airplane mode as soon as directed on your outbound flight and don't change that until you get back to your home country. I use a VPN and use whatever free wifi is available wherever I am- hotel, bars and restaurants, etc. Even if you need to check in frequently at home you can do so on a wifi only device (like an ipod). If you need to do a lot of work related stuff, I would contact your service provider directly to see what options you have. If you do use the $10 a day thing, just plan to do $10 worth of activity in the 24 hour period you are allowed- this is not a good option for a once a day text or call check in. You can also consider a digicel or flow phone with local and international text, talk, and data plans, see the websites or a local shop for details.
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

I won't even take my phone next trip. Family knows where we are staying if an emergency happens. No phone is pretty relaxing. When we get back after 16 days I'll find out if North America still exists.
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]