Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Smartphone gift ------>

User Info Menu

Smartphone gift ------>

Greetings Negril people. Used to post here years ago glad to see this place still here and many of the same folks present. Am heading back to Negril for the first time in a while, very excited. Two of the folks i know down there have asked for old 'smartphones' to which i have a few (iphones) am happy to part with. Any thoughts as to if there will be issues with them activating the devices ie: specific carriers, etc.

thank you

User Info Menu

Re: Smartphone gift ------>

Welcome back!

I brought down a used iPhone 4s for a friend and he loves it. I actually use one myself on Digicel in Jamaica and it works great. Just make sure that it is an unlocked GSM iPhone and you will have no problem. If they are your old phones from AT&T or T-Mobile you may have to call their tech support to help you unlock them.

At some point, Apple started shipping all iPhones unlocked - even if purchased from a specific carrier - but I'm not sure what version that was. It might have been the 5 or 6. I purchased my 4s-es from ebay, and specifically looked for unlocked GSM models (CDMA or Verizon models will not work on Digicel). You can find a 4s today for less than $50. However, a 5s is probably the best choice as they still receive software updates from Apple.

User Info Menu

Re: Smartphone gift ------>

Jamaica is an Android country with some using iPhones.......and all Jamaicans know the best models...
    they all think wi are millionaires so they get disappointed sometimes when they get something that isn't top notch....
    Samsung Galaxies are the most desired phones with some wanting the iPhone X.....lol
    they will turn their noses up at Alcatels, Huawei, Blu, and non name brand Chinese phones

important to make sure the phone uses a sim card and that it is carrier unlocked before you haul down the phone(s)
    they are for sale all over the internet....all price ranges.....also make sure the phone is a quad so it handles Digicel and Flow networks...

mi amazed at how many phones that Jamaicans receive from foreign that can't be used in Jamaica cause dem not unlocked or can't be unlocked.....and so it goes

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20