The heat of the afternoon depleted our drink supply and we hadn't had food for hours. But as with everyone else, we tried to make the best of the situation.

As the sun set on the Sangster International Airport, we arranged beds using the clothes in our luggage. Since there was no airport security, we would take turns as our own security.

Not that it really mattered as no one slept much at all. As morning came we were tired, hungry and hot. But laying there during the night had given us an increased urgency. We didn't want to spend another night at Sangster, so we came up with an idea. Pooling our cash, we had $1400. Let's see what that would buy us.

Using the confusion all around us and finding a Delta employee, questions were asked and a conversation ensued. Other employees were introduced and more discussion. This went on for a relatively short time when one of the Delta ticketing personnel came and said that we could all get a seat for a fee, in cash. Handing over the money, the ticket agent went off. With any bribe, it is a gamble. There was a chance we had just thrown away our money.

It wasn't long before they came back and gave us 4 boarding passes. For US$250 a piece, we had just bribed our way onto the next flight. The first flight out on Delta after Gilbert.

The flight was set to take off at 2:45. We still had 6 hours to go.

The complete chaos of yesterday had become merely substantial chaos today. By 10am, a local baker had come by with coco bread for everyone, no charge. It was quite a treat. Another vendor was selling box drinks. Food in the belly had gone a long way to raise the mood of the crowd.

A group of British Airline passengers had already gone off on their flight back to the UK. We had learned more about British Air, they were flying in supplies and leaving with passengers. Very efficient. They were also the first planes to arrive in Jamaica after Gilbert. Give it up for the Queen!

Around noon we gathered all our clothes and put them back in the suitcases. Taking turns, we washed up in the restrooms. We took note of ourselves in the mirror and decided we looked no worse than anyone else. Flight fashion was not a priority today.

At 2pm, boarding for the Delta flight began. We walked around to the back and piled our luggage outside with the others.

Nervously we handed over our boarding passes. Without even a gaze, we were ushered to the line to climb the steps to the plane.

The air conditioning in the plane was a welcome feeling. After days of being in the heavy humity after Gilbert, this was perfect. The seats were comfortable. While we were on the runway, the stewardress came by and took our drink orders.

Apparently the dropping of regulations applied to more than just check in.

A cold beer hit the spot. The captain came on and announced that we would be ready to go a few minutes early and would be arriving at JFK by 6pm.

As the plane taxied down the runway, the cabin filled with applause. We were on our way back home.

The flight was smooth and uneventful. Drinks were flowing quite liberally, one last chance for that vacation feeling. As with take off, upon landing there was jubilant applause from the passengers.

Walking the jetway to the terminal, we were welcomed back to NYC by the Delta staff. Smiles and a warm greeting brought a sense of comfort. Collecting our luggage, I noticed the strong urge to get rid of the beer that had been consumed during the past 4 hours. I told my travel partners that I was going to make a mad dash to the restroom and watch my luggage.

Just as i was sprinting off, I was blinded by bright white lights! The network news was interviewing the first passengers off the first flight from Jamaica!

With wide eyes and rapid fire speech, the interview took place in the JFK terminal.

And that is how I ended up on the NBC Nightly News.

Parts 16 to 1
https://negril.com/forum/showthread....16-The-Airport