Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thirty Years Ago on the Beach - #18 Afterword

User Info Menu

Re: Thirty Years Ago on the Beach - #18 Afterword

very well written & insightful to what it was like. After being there from the third week of June on, I left on September 6th because my daughters had to start school. I would like to know your impressions of what Ivan did to the west end !

Administrator

User Info Menu

The West End can get mashed up when a storm system gets near Jamaica. The high seas can cause all kinds of damage. I was up at Catcha after Ivan helping to clean up - we had to wait until the sea calmed down to get near the place.

The next year both Rita and Wilma caused major damage to the West End. That was the year when they ran out of names for the hurricanes!

A very telling difference between Gilbert and Ivan was that I could get to Catcha as well as Sunshine Plaza the day after Ivan. After Gilbert, it was days before you could even think about trying to make it to the West End. There is no real comparison... Ivan was nasty, but Gilbert destroyed everything.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Forget to mention that Ivan was a much longer storm. Gilbert was moving 15mph and was over in a day, Ivan was moving like 2mph. Lots of rain for days but much slower winds...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!