Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thirty Years Ago on the Beach - #18 Afterword

Administrator

User Info Menu

Thirty Years Ago on the Beach - #18 Afterword

This account was written on the 30th anniversary of Hurricane Gilbert. There was no preplanning and no consent was given by the others involved. Thus I included no individual names.

It was the first time in decades that I had seriously thought about what had transpired during those days. Making sure I mentioned the main points, hundreds of things long forgotten were remembered but not recorded in this version. That is for the rewrite.

Some odd things did take place. My Mom was worried about us and called our state representative. He told her that we were all okay. Only thing was, we were completely cut off from anyone after the hurricane and he could not have known how we were at all. He is dead now so no reason to give his name.

The experience was life changing. Gilbert was the main reason that I chose to move to Jamaica.

Thanks for reading.

Parts 17 to 1
    https://negril.com/forum/showthread....Booze-and-News
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: Thirty Years Ago on the Beach - #18 Afterword

Nice story and well written Rob. I thought my Florida hurricane experiences were noteworthy but nothing like Gilbert. Respect.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Very well written. I think you may have missed your calling Rob.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting your memoir.

Let us hope that Jamaica does not see the likes of anything close to Gilbert again for many years to come (better yet, never again!)

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing your experience, Rob. I agree with Yoooper, very well written.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by halfwaytree View Post
    Thanks for posting your memoir.

Let us hope that Jamaica does not see the likes of anything close to Gilbert again for many years to come (better yet, never again!)
    Can you say Ivan?

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    Can you say Ivan?

Cap
    Ivan was a big rain producer, lots of water damage. But we had a/c and the satellite dish working at Sunshine Plaza in a couple days.

Been here for every hurricane since Gilbert and none have been remotely close to Gilbert.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thnx for sharing

User Info Menu

That was very interesting Rob. Thanks for sharing.
    Peace, Todd & Cher

User Info Menu

Gilbert destroyed the original round house on Zion Hill and darn near killed Linston and the family.

I was at sea and all I could do was watch the weather fax and pray. I had no news for two weeks

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave