Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transportation from Sav back to negril?

User Info Menu

Re: Transportation from Sav back to negril?

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    The best way to do this would be to get a driver who has a Sav to Negril route and charter it for the trip back. That way he's making money both ways.

Who's taking you to Sav?

Cap
    My daughters arranging things, but I believe The Rockhouse provides transport as they are affiliated with the school.
    we are just unsure we want to return at the same time .

User Info Menu

Without a pre arranged ride at a given time you're going to have to negotiate with a driver when you ready to leave

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Most of the Sav to Negril drivers will be parked either at the Texaco gas station just at the end of Great George Street (by the KFC) or will be parked in the Shoppers Fair/ Brumahlia Hardware shopping mall. You will hear them call out "Negril" as they wait by their vehicles. They wait there until the cab fills up and then they move out. You could check in with some of those guys about getting all 5 to Negril, It shouldn't make any difference to the driver, take 5 now or take only 2-3 and pick up more along the way, because it's the same money. I've done this myself many times. Would I recommend this for a "family", absolutely not. One, because chances of getting a driver that is a rocket ship pilot want-a-be, are high, and two would be, the chance of getting a full serviced, road worthy, mechanically sound vehicle is very low. By forcing or allowing that on other "family" members is not correct and borderline negligent, especially if children are involved. You know what, find a good, competent, safe driver in Negril, through the hotel or even through this media and have him come pick you up in Sav. The extra few dollars you pay will be priceless for the peace of mind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    Most of the Sav to Negril drivers will be parked either at the Texaco gas station just at the end of Great George Street (by the KFC) or will be parked in the Shoppers Fair/ Brumahlia Hardware shopping mall. You will hear them call out "Negril" as they wait by their vehicles. They wait there until the cab fills up and then they move out. You could check in with some of those guys about getting all 5 to Negril, It shouldn't make any difference to the driver, take 5 now or take only 2-3 and pick up more along the way, because it's the same money. I've done this myself many times. Would I recommend this for a "family", absolutely not. One, because chances of getting a driver that is a rocket ship pilot want-a-be, are high, and two would be, the chance of getting a full serviced, road worthy, mechanically sound vehicle is very low. By forcing or allowing that on other "family" members is not correct and borderline negligent, especially if children are involved. You know what, find a good, competent, safe driver in Negril, through the hotel or even through this media and have him come pick you up in Sav. The extra few dollars you pay will be priceless for the peace of mind.

Ditto !!!!!
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

I don’t disagree, just need to know where or how to charter a lift back to negril once in Sav.
    People recommend route taxis all the time while in negril or elsewhere. And you make them all sound like you’re taking your life in your hands.
    Not sure I understand your comments in that regard.
    I do agree about a charter being the best bet. Just not sure how to figure that out when we aren’t sure of our return time.

User Info Menu

I'm just saying Weeboy1, I've taken a lot of route taxis to, and back from Sav. On some occasions it has been a very rewarding experience. Met some locals, a few entertainers that I've got signing, and a few very colorful people. But I have also gotten into a few route taxi where the driver put his foot on the gas and din't take it off until we hit mach .1 or Negril which ever came first. Now I drive a jeep and have a motorcycle in Jamaica which is not for the faint of heart, but on occasion I have been in a route taxi that scared the bi-Jesus out of me. I'm saying that it may be hazardous but worth the risk to your self, but to influence others to do the same might be a little careless, and again especially if it involves children in your party. If you don't know the route taxi system in Westmoreland, then explore it on your own and get to know what to expect. There are many well respected, safe, reliable drivers in the "transportation" section of this form. Maybe ask around a little and get their opinion.

User Info Menu

Ok , I hear you. And thanks for the insight.
    No children, all adults but 5 of us, and 3 are newbies to Jamaica .
    So for sure don’t want them stressed. Will look into a one way charter.
    Have a friend in Sav who may also be able to arrange a ride for us. That would be our best option. But we’ll see, he may not be there then due to family illness.
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Weeboy...Browns is absolutely correct and since Rob and I obviously know the route system well...we would never recommend taking 5 people via route taxi into Sav either.
    Dependant on which school you're going to in Sav, it's not going to be easy to navigate a route taxi for 5 people...more than likely you'll have to switch cabs and this won't be easy in a busy town like Sav with 5 people...this could be overwhelming for your newbies.

You won't have any problem chartering a driver. Pick your fav driver, tell them what you want to do & negotiate a price & plan that work for all of you. We all have business or someone to visit in Sav, so there's always something for your driver to do while waiting for you...it truly will not be an issue for your driver to wait.

User Info Menu

Give my son Linston an inquiry. He'll be happy to accommodate you if he's not already booked that day

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Thanks all for the input.
    Cap I will touch base with Linston. It’s just if we have an included ride to Sav I wouldn’t think he’d want to do one way back. Unless we ditch the bus and take a charter both ways. Just be more expensive I guess.