Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West End ~ Hotel WiFi, your favorite chillout spots and places to eat?

User Info Menu

West End ~ Hotel WiFi, your favorite chillout spots and places to eat?

Hi boardies, I’ve got a few trips under my belt to JA, but this is the first time I’m staying in West End.

The plan is to work remote from there during the day, then head down to Negril beach to watch the sunset and chill out for the evening.

Apparently I’m staying in the ‘deep’ West End, some even told me it’s ‘bush’ The place is called grassroots and I believe it’s walking distance to a hotel called the Cliffs.

For those who are familiar with the area.

- Do you think the nearby hotels will allow me access, even if I’m not a guest? Thinking there should be a bar or a restaurant where I can use free WiFi if I buy food/coffee?

- Which Hotel (if any) would you recommend for me to have a look at?

Based on some of the threads in this forum, I gather that some of you absolutely love West End.

What are some of your favourite chill out spots and places to eat?
    Last edited by Angelica Isaksson; 10-11-2018 at 10:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Re: West End ~ Hotel WiFi, your favorite chillout spots and places to eat?

Never heard of Grassroots, but the Cliffs Resort is close to a gem of a place to eat called Jus Natural. Also not far from Out of Town Bakery. A little diversion in the area is Barney's Humming Bird Sanctuary. You will be able to get route taxi's from Out of Town Bakery into town.
    Regards,
    Bob

User Info Menu

She is asking specifically about places where she has wi-fi access, the Cliff Resort has wi-fi and a restaurant open to the public, excellent but on the expensive side. I also think that Somewhere West has wi-fi, also with a restaurant there.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Grassroots is a nice place, literally seconds from Out of Town and about a minute and a half from Just Natural.

LTU is fairly close and has WiFi. Murphy's has had WiFi in the past and I suspect that they have it now. Both nice choices.

Another place nearby that fits the bill is Seastar Inn. A swim up bar can make working interesting!

The Cliffs is beautiful, but pricey as mentioned.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Favorite ''chill out '' spot.... Sir D's Love nest..
    Favorite eats..... Chicken Lavish
    Great rum punch happy hour ...Canoe
    Favorite place to get a drink, and a bite, and maybe take a dip....Xtabi

User Info Menu

Xtabi has free wifi, too. No way would I spend a day on an unsecured network conducting business. Very slow, too. great for downloading the newspaper though!
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

Thanks rjosun, sounds awesome, from what I gather Grassroots is close by to BHBS, good to know there are route taxis running close by. Best, Ange
    --
    Hey FarOutWestEnder, looking for good places with wi-fi access, but also on the lookout for other recommended spots to visit, it'll be my longest stay in Negril to date, so looking forward to trying lots of new places.

Thanks for sharing info on Cliff Resort, if it's on the expensive side I might do a one off, but look for some other alternatives as well.
    --
    Hi Rob, that's perfect, thanks! Much appreciated, great to know. I was beginning to wonder when people told me I'm staying in the bush with snakes and what not, far from everything. Realising now, that it was just a good banter.

I've taken note of your suggestions. Can't wait!
    --
    Perfect, noted, many many thanks @jojo p
    --
    Oh dear @Marblehead. Plan A is to get a Digicel MIFI and top it up for my stay, so I can log on anywhere I please, but I can't preorder, and apparently they sometimes are out of stock at the stores. I won't know until I get to Montego Bay on Jan 9. Figured I better make a list of places where I can access WIFI just in case I don't get the MIFI. My work will consist mainly of emails, phone/zoom meetings, LinkedIn, Google as well as some other stuff that I can use tools and programs on my laptop not necessarily requiring internet. Crossing my fingers that it should be okay.

If I get the MIFI, I am hoping that the connection will be decent where I'm staying and in and around Negril.
    --
    If anyone have experience using MIFI, please let me know what you guys think of it and if it's worth the investment?

I've heard a lot of good thing about Jus Natural, it seems to be recommended by many, and as it goes close to where I'm staying. Any idea of what a breakfast cost there? I normally have ackee & saltfish, callalloo, fried dumpling, fresh juice and coffee
    Last edited by Angelica Isaksson; 10-11-2018 at 11:21 AM.

User Info Menu

From photo on TAdvisor, looks like around 700J for the breakfast you described. I bet its a bit more with inflation but its always been reasonable, and delicious. Its great when Christine takes your order then walks around the property picking the herbs that will go into it. We always see hummingbirds and butterflies there - make sure to walk around the whole property.

User Info Menu

Hi Odinson, many thanks. I had a look on TA as well, lots of lovely pictures, but I didn't check them all and must have missed it. Have only heard great things about the garden and property, can't wait to see it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Angelica Isaksson View Post
    Oh dear @Marblehead. Plan A is to get a Digicel MIFI and top it up for my stay, so I can log on anywhere I please, but I can't preorder, and apparently they sometimes are out of stock at the stores. I won't know until I get to Montego Bay on Jan 9. Figured I better make a list of places where I can access WIFI just in case I don't get the MIFI. My work will consist mainly of emails, phone/zoom meetings, LinkedIn, Google as well as some other stuff that I can use tools and programs on my laptop not necessarily requiring internet. Crossing my fingers that it should be okay.
    We bought a wifi unit from DigiCell (not mifi) a few years ago and it worked fine where we were staying up on PeeWee Lane. This year we''ll be down off the hill and not sure about reception. I've been considering a wifi unit for our international travel. We're fully retired so, literally, the only thing we need the internet for is downloading the NYTimes. Yup! Pointy-headed NYT liberals!
    Respect --Marblehead
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.