Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Phone conversion

User Info Menu

Phone conversion

I have an I-phone 6 on ATT that I will be upgrading soon to an I-hone 10. What would I have to do to convert the old phone for use in Jamaica? I see mention of a SIM card but the I-phones do not have the SIM. I would like to get a local number that I can use while I am in Jamaica and buy minutes as needed. Is this possible?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Phone conversion

In order to get a local number, the phone will have to accept sim cards and be unlocked to use in Jamaica...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thanks, I did learn the Iphone will take a micro SIM

User Info Menu

At some point, AT&T began shipping all IPhones unlocked. However, I don't know if that was before or after the IPhone 6. You may want to call AT&T to make sure it is unlocked. If it's not, their tech support can walk you through the unlocking process.

User Info Menu

I have an unlocked Iphone 6 and bought a SIM card from Digicel in Negril. They will insert the micro-sim into your phone and provide you with your JA phone number. I use the Digicel app to load minutes on my phone. I add minutes at least once every 3 months and have had the same JA number for over 5 years now.

Dr. J

User Info Menu

AT+T most certainly does not ship their devices unlocked. (However, in most cases Verizon does)

Call them and request an unlock. They also have a webpage you can do it through, but I don't have that handy right now.

Only stipulation is you bought it directly from them and it's fully paid off if you financed it from them.

User Info Menu

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

That is the link to unlock an AT+T phone with instructions.

User Info Menu

you will need to unlock the phone....get the unlock service from AT&T....or get it off of Ebay for cheap money......
    you will need to provide the IMEI number of the phone to AT&T or the eBay seller..
    you don't put in a foreign sim to put in an unlock code like you do with Androids...
    the unlock service does it from the AT&T servers.......you will receive an email saying the unlock service was done...

so when you get the word from the service your phone will boot up unlocked......
    AT&T are the easiest phones to unlock.....though these days it is getting harder.......
    go to Digicel and buy the sim for $588J and you will need to show your Passport.......

and will be off and running......to Topup the phone got to any store and buy the credit.....
    or you can go online and buy phone credit and plans from companies like Ding.com etc.....

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Last edited by Marko; 10-30-2018 at 06:24 AM.
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Maybe a little off-topic, but there is a theme happening here on locked/unlocking of the phone. Why do cell phones have to be locked in the first place? I don't get it? Maybe back in the day when cells first started, it may have made sense, but now? Everyone I know gets the phone unlocked ... and a lot of them don't travel. Recently, here in Canada, the CRTC (government body governing telecommunications in Canada) had make a ruling that our service providers could not charge us to get our phones unlocked (prior to this ruling, the service providers here charged exorbitant fees - greater than $100 in some cases), and in some cases you had send the phone to them to be unlocked (cause that was convenient!). What's the deal with them being locked anyway? I believe Europe is the same; not sure about Asia. Just really curious. Rob?

Administrator

User Info Menu

It's to tie you to the services of each phone company, an unlocked phone can use any service.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!