Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just askin..Whats a Buck bringing now? Bank or Changer , Hotel, street?

User Info Menu

Just askin..Whats a Buck bringing now? Bank or Changer , Hotel, street?

my wife an I started going in mid 80's.....things were a good deal back then, trade goods were really worth a lot, TV's, appliances, electronics....a loptop got you a nice place in Green Island for a week, with free rides to the beach and back

BTW...how do I manage my already uploaded files?

"SO WHATS A BUCK WORTH?"
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Just askin..Whats a Buck bringing now? Bank or Changer , Hotel, street?

A us$ works out to be j$110 to $120 at the moment.

And... What files are you trying to manage?
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Seems like a basic unlocked smart phone with a removable sims card is a hot ticket down there for trade (been asked numerous times to bring some down).

User Info Menu

when I go to see my already uploaded files (photos) how do I see them all at once? at least thumbnail size
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    when I go to see my already uploaded files (photos) how do I see them all at once? at least thumbnail size
    Go to Settings (at the very top of the page) and then choose Attachments under the Miscellaneous heading. All your pics are there, to see the thumbnails, choose Thumbnails.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    A us$ works out to be j$110 to $120 at the moment.
    XE is $127Ja/$1.00US At $110Ja/US that adds up. The $Ja is taking some big drops (strengthening) agains the $US.
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

Administrator

User Info Menu

The Cambios yesterday were $121 to us$1...

The only way to get closer to the 127 rate is by using your ATM card, but then you get a fee...

User Info Menu

Maybe a stupid question, but is there a fee to exchange at the Cambio in Negril, or is the rate you get vs the actual rate the fee?

Administrator

User Info Menu

I suppose you could look at it as a fee, but it comes down to how much the Cambio owners feel that the dollar exchange is worth.

Yesterday the Cambio downtown in Coral Seas Plaza (Gold Nugget) was 121 to 1 and Banmark, past the Texaco was 121.5 to 1.

This past summer when the J$ was in freefall, the interbank rate was 138 to 1, the Gold Nugget was 125 to 1 while Banmark was 127.5.

At that time there was a higher risk for the Cambios, so the rates were much lower than the interbank rate.

Essentially capitalism, supply, demand and the exchange rate risk involved determine the rate.

Rambo asked about "the street rate" which is determined more on the fly. You may be offered 110 to 1 because a non-dollar trader doesn't have all the resources that a cambio or bank has at their disposal. With the dollar hitting 138 to 1 just a few months ago, the small businesses can't absorb the risk as readily as the larger traders.

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob. Would the street rate be when I am dealing with vendors or anyone selling goods?
    Probably similar to the dealing with peso rates on the street in Mexico.