Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hookworm alert

User Info Menu

Re: Hookworm alert

What is the length of time from exposure until the symptoms hit?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fargoman View Post
    What is the length of time from exposure until the symptoms hit?
    According to the google machine, "The rash usually shows up 1 to 5 days after you have been exposed to the hookworms. But sometimes it can take more than 1 month to show up. Each person may have slightly different symptoms".
    Peace, Todd & Cher

User Info Menu

I got a Prescription Last April from my Dr. in Winnipeg. It was called Vermox or Mebenazole. Cost was $88.00 from Costco. Not all pharmacies have it though. My Dr. says children mostly contract it as they sit in the sand for longer periods. Adults can get it by walking in closer proximity of the hotels in the dry sand (where the cats do their business). The medicine started to kill the worms within 2 days. All is well now. I believe i got them because I had a blister that broke open. I also have been going for years and this is my 1st time getting this. I will still do the beaches and resort grounds but be more careful of broken skin or sores.

User Info Menu

My question is are people going to a Dr. there to have a prescription written or buying it without a prescription at Negril pharmacies?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rooster View Post
    My question is are people going to a Dr. there to have a prescription written or buying it without a prescription at Negril pharmacies?
    Bnewb
    There's no Costco in Jamaica...but you could go to the Mega Mart pharmacy in Montego Bay on the way to Negril.
    There's a few brands to choose from...just tell the pharmacist what you're looking to potentially treat...its available over the counter.
    Peace, Todd & Cher

Administrator

User Info Menu

There are over the counter medications... Parents buy them all the time... Ask the pharmacist... They have kid and adult versions...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Was going to come prepared with the proper medication when I hit the Rock in 2 weeks...but here in the states (Walgreen's today) it needs a Dr. to prescribe it.

User Info Menu

I pick up hook worm in November. In the states I was prescribed Albendazole 200 mg two pills. I have good insurance and the copay was $68.00. Doctor also prescribed a cream with a copay $380.00 that I did not buy. I was cleared in a week or two. As a precaution this past December while in Negril I stopped at the pharmacy by Burger King and the pharmacist gave me Zentel 200mg. Total of 6 pills; two pills to be taken at the same time for three days. I don’t recall the price but it was a lot less. No prescription necessary but had to get it from the pharmacist.

User Info Menu

My symptoms began 9 days after departing JA. I have a different insurance plan (high deductible) and my 6 pills would have cost $1000. I called the Dr back and ultimately declined. He said the "worms" aren't' strong enough to break through the lower layers of human dermis, and that it would just die and my body would take care of it. Long 4 months! But glad I didn't take the meds after all.
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

yeah it took me about four months for my body to get rid of it too -- I only had it on my one big toe, horrendous itch - the two doctor's I went to had no idea how to treat it, no tropical medicine doctors in my area. I knew what it was as soon as I returned from Jamaica, it looked kind of like a thin bright red dental floss under my skin in a zig zag. I have been on Negril Beach for like 4+ decades with never a problem. I was more aggravated with the poor medical care when I came back home than actually getting this... When I searched tripadvisor and hookworm I was dismayed to find a huge amount of problems at one of the places we stayed.