Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hookworm alert

User Info Menu

Hookworm alert

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.4160062

Not sure if you can access - but hookworm alert on Negril beach

User Info Menu

Re: Hookworm alert

This is almost anywhere that there's a beach...unfortunately not unusual or new information.

From a personal perspective...I don't know where everyone is walking that gets hookworm...but I have yet to get it in all the years I've been living here. I probably jinxed myself by saying that...lol.

If you're here in Negril when you discover you may have it...go to any pharmacy as they always have the treatment available over the counter!

User Info Menu

Hookworm alert? Dogs + cats + beach = worms.. Is there more poop on the beach than normal? lol.. Like Bnewb said, go to the pharmacy get the treatment and take some home just in case. I have two boxes at home because you never know. If you walk barefoot in the shaded damp areas it can happen. It's only happened to me once in 17 years of going to JA but it can happen.
    “Indecision may or may not be my problem.”

User Info Menu

Had it once in the 30 years we’ve been going. I had been walking in shady grassy areas. I have been told it’s safe to walk in sandy areas that get sun. I guess the heat kills them. They are gross, you can see the trail of where they move around under the skin.

User Info Menu

Hmmm . . . beach shade or sun? Hookworm or skin cancer? Well, at least with hookworm I can self medicate!
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

I picked it up in June of 2016 somewhere in Negril... it was the most unbearable 4 months of my life.
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noproblem View Post
    Hookworm alert? Dogs + cats + beach = worms.. Is there more poop on the beach than normal? lol.. Like Bnewb said, go to the pharmacy get the treatment and take some home just in case. I have two boxes at home because you never know. If you walk barefoot in the shaded damp areas it can happen. It's only happened to me once in 17 years of going to JA but it can happen.
    I think it's more the horses

User Info Menu

Hello,
    we returned last Dez. My wife had a injury on her foot, it itched very. After 14 days it was not gone she went to our Doctor. Because he did not know what it is he send her to a tropical institute.

The Doctor there said immediately that is a hookwarm larva ( other name is skin mole) comes from the poop from dogs or cats. He took a Foto ( you could see a 4 inch trail under the skin) for his Archiv and gave her a medicine to take once that will kill the larva within a few days. So it was.

We think my wife got it at the Coco La Palm area. Because sometimes we had launch there and we saw the cats digging there poop into the sand. Wenn you walk barefoot you cant see were it is.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ukran1ans View Post
    I think it's more the horses
    Horse parasites do not invade the body in the same way, so horses are not the culprit here.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I must have really thin skin. Have gotten hookworm 3 times in the last 20 years, twice in Negril, once somewhere locally. Anywhere there are cats and dogs and moist sand/dirt, you can get infected. It is crazy itchy and super ugly but easily treated. I still go barefoot on the beach.