Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Excited For Portland Parish!

User Info Menu

Re: Getting Excited For Portland Parish!

Quote Originally Posted by agregory View Post
    Sounds like a great trip mwenvlay! I look forward to hearing about it

It's been almost 2 years since we visited Portland and we miss it! Only 37 sleeps until we'll be back in Negril and a few days in Little Bay. First time to Little Bay, so at least I'll have somewhere new to explore... Wish it was Portland though
    you know, i'm sure i've passed by little bay a hundred and eleven times, yet i have no visual reference. i'm looking on google maps right now, and i see it's right by the blue hole. i don't know why i just can't imagine little bay in my mind's eye.

where are you guys staying in little bay and where are you guys staying in negril?

User Info Menu

the waterfall in nonsuch would be great to visit, but i'm sure we won't get around to it. i also hear that the water is pretty sparse during the winter months.

i'm pissed at myself that i never got around to visiting the caves in nonsuch before they shut them down to the public.

User Info Menu

We're staying at Whistling Bird in Negril for 5 nights. We've never stayed there. Actually, we've never staying in the same place twice anywhere in Jamaica... I think that's what makes me justify going to Ja every year, rather than a new country we've never visited - lol.

Staying at Coral Cottage in Little Bay for the last 3 nights of our trip. Little Bay is a tiny fishing village south of Negril, near Blue Hole. Looks very quiet and peaceful We'll have a cook for breakfast and dinner, which I really look forward too! We stayed at a great place in Treasure Beach a few years ago with a cook and it was wonderful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agregory View Post
    We're staying at Whistling Bird in Negril for 5 nights. We've never stayed there. Actually, we've never staying in the same place twice anywhere in Jamaica... I think that's what makes me justify going to Ja every year, rather than a new country we've never visited - lol.

Staying at Coral Cottage in Little Bay for the last 3 nights of our trip. Little Bay is a tiny fishing village south of Negril, near Blue Hole. Looks very quiet and peaceful We'll have a cook for breakfast and dinner, which I really look forward too! We stayed at a great place in Treasure Beach a few years ago with a cook and it was wonderful.
    i hope you do a trip report! i really want to hear about little bay/coral cottage. and am interested in hearing your thoughts on whistling bird. i've passed by a million times, but when i'm in negril i pretty much always stay at xtabi. in 25 years of visiting jamaica i've only stayed on the beach in negril 2x- once in 2013 at firefly when my son was 7 (loved the hotel and staff, seriously disliked the other guests i came across) and then when my son was 10 (in 2017), we did a split stay at alfred's and high cove (a gorgeous cottage compound owned by the folks who own the hungry lion). on that trip he told me he was a cliffs person.
    Last edited by mwenvlay; 01-17-2019 at 01:57 PM.

User Info Menu

great huts is located right next to boston bay beach, so i'm sure we'll hang there.

i wonder if my son will want to take a surfing lesson.
    Last edited by mwenvlay; 01-16-2019 at 11:36 AM.

User Info Menu

woody's low bridge restaurant

i'm not really a burger person, but my family will like it, plus the space looks like it's got good vibes. and they have home made ginger beer!

wilkes cuisine is more my style

Last edited by mwenvlay; 01-16-2019 at 03:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Woody's was good for us, . Soldier Camp was great, he opened up just for us then ended up with a huge party there - helps to call ahead and to have a driver that knew how to find it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mwenvlay View Post
    i hope you do a trip report! i really want to hear about little bay/coral cottage. and am interested in hearing your thoughts on whistling bird. i've passed by a million times, but when i'm in negril i pretty much always stay at xtabi. in 25 years of visiting jamaica i've only stayed on the beach in negril 2x- once in 2013 at firefly when my son was 7 (loved the hotel and staff, seriously disliked the other guests i came across) and then when my son was 10 (in 2017), we did a split stay at alfred's and high cove (a gorgeous cottage compound owned by the folks who own the pickled parrot). on that trip he told me he was a cliffs person.
    Our Negril driver drives for Whistling Bird and got a deal for us there I love the looks of the place! It should be perfect for us!

We stayed in High Cove last year for a few nights too, in the Sea Bird cottage! Loved it there! We'll miss the cliffs this year

I like that your son is a cliff person. We like to start our trip with the Negril beach, where it's a little more crazy and loud, and then relax for a few days before we have to go back to our cold home. We always miss the cliffs if we don't make it there for a few nights.

I really wanted to surf at Boston Beach for the first time. But we were there on a holiday so there were tons of people there with there families and I didn't want to be the spectacle lol. Our experience there was awesome though! We loved seeing all the Jamaican families, from grandparents to babies, spending their day together at da beach And of course there were 80 speakers set up with non-stop music to enjoy too. You'll love that beach! I hope your son decides to try surfing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
    Woody's was good for us, . Soldier Camp was great, he opened up just for us then ended up with a huge party there - helps to call ahead and to have a driver that knew how to find it.
    it's good to get your thoughts on soldier camp. i figured we'd wind up eating there if the stars aligned properly. i would really, really want to get fish if we ate there, so it probably would be better to call ahead.

User Info Menu

the starting point of this trip is strawberry hills- we got the 2 bedroom cottage.

warren (highly recommended by several boardies) is going to pick us up and transport us over to great huts via the mountains. my husband will love that. i've done that route before (on a route taxi) and am not crazy about it.

Last edited by mwenvlay; 01-18-2019 at 10:28 PM.