Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cambio Rate

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Cambio Rate

The CAD rate at NCB today is 96.50 to 1...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Well it really depends on what your bank charges for an exchange rate. Ally bank only charges 1% so I'm expecting to get around $128-$129J to $1US if the international rate is $131J to $1US

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ukran1ans View Post
    Well it really depends on what your bank charges for an exchange rate. Ally bank only charges 1% so I'm expecting to get around $128-$129J to $1US if the international rate is $131J to $1US
    The inter-bank rate today is 134 to 1...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ukran1ans View Post
    How do you get it that high ukran1ans? I guess I don't get the whole thing..... The best I can get here is AAA with no fee at 121 today. The banks I checked are lower. I just figure if its about the same as the cambio, i might as well do it now and not worry about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mamade11 View Post
    How do you get it that high ukran1ans? I guess I don't get the whole thing..... The best I can get here is AAA with no fee at 121 today. The banks I checked are lower. I just figure if its about the same as the cambio, i might as well do it now and not worry about it.
    I get it that high because I just withdraw Jamaican cash from a Scotia bank with my Ally Bank Debit card (I don't go to an exchange counter). I only bring a few hundred cash US when I come down (mainly to pay my car service) and just use the Jamaican cash that I withdraw from the Scotia Bank. Ally bank only charges me a %1 fee to use their debit card internationally, which is why I get a good rate. So my driver from the airport takes me to a Scotia ATM, I'll pull out $30,000JM per transaction (which is only about $230 US deducted from my checking account) usually pulling out a 2nd transaction of $30,000JM to stay under the US daily ATM limit of $500 (and walking away with $60,000JM). Depending on how much I spend during the week, I'll go back to a Scotia bank later in the week for 1 or 2 more $30,000JM transactions to have enough money for my 10 day stay.

SO after saying all that, call your bank and ask 2 things. 1) Do they allow you to use your Debit card in Jamaica? 2) What percentage do they charge for an international transaction with your ATM card? If they they allow you to use the debit card in Jamaica and charge 3% or less in transaction fees, you'll be saving money doing it that way vs going to a cambio. Just make sure you notify your bank before your trip of the dates you'll be using your debit card in Jamaica.

I hope this helps...

BTW, ALLY Bank is an online bank. You can sign up with them for free and then transfer your travel money to your Ally checking account electronically before your trip to get the same exact deal that I get.

Last edited by ukran1ans; 01-29-2019 at 02:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Thank you!!! Now I get it. I was always afraid to use my debit there..... You gave me an idea so I checked with Capital one (online also). I have a 360 checking there,
    they said they charge 0 fee, you would only pay whatever the bank charge is from the machine in Jamaica. I may try it this year! Thanks again, hopefully we run into you when we are there!!

User Info Menu

Thank you!!! Now I get it. I was always afraid to use my debit there..... You gave me an idea so I checked with Capital one (online also). I have a 360 checking there,
    they said they charge 0 fee, you would only pay whatever the bank charge is from the machine in Jamaica. I may try it this year! Thanks again, hopefully we run into you when we are there!!
    Don't get me wrong, I get nervous using my Debit card there too. Which is why I only use it at a Scotia bank ATM and when not being used it's back in the safe.

Yeah, I'll be starting my trip at the Seastar the first 2 nights on the cliffs (maybe you guys can see the show there Sat night?) but I'll be at Whites Sands by Monday the 11th, down the beach from you guys, so I'm sure I'll run into you. If not there... Roots or Alfreds for some shows later in the week maybe? Heck, we fly in the same day, maybe see you ladies at the airport.. LOL (I land around 10:30 am).

Last edited by ukran1ans; 01-29-2019 at 03:05 PM.

User Info Menu

We don't get in until 1:30 but will be at Roots for a show or two. Will see you around!

User Info Menu

We don't get in until 1:30 but will be at Roots for a show or two. Will see you around!
    1:30 arrival? Yeah, I plan on being at the Seastar pool bar by then

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The Cambio exchange rate was 120 to 121 to 1 today...
    Things are looking up! Thanks for keeping me posted