Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell phone

User Info Menu

Cell phone

My friend wants me to bring her a cell phone from the US for her to use in Jamaica. Would this work or do you have to buy the cell phone in Jamaica?

User Info Menu

Unless she has an international plan the roaming charges will be a killer and if it's a smart phone the data roaming could wind up costing the price of the trip.
    Borrow a phone from your driver, many offer this service, or buy a cheap phone from Digicel or the like. Calling home from Jamaica is considerably cheaper that way.
    If she does bring a smart phone, keep it airplane mode and only use wifi so there won't be ridiculous charges.

Bless...
    Ed

User Info Menu

U can get her one, but it will need to be unlocked. You'll need to get a sim card once in Jamaica which can be provided by Digicel for a few bucks. Goggle " unlock cell phone" and you'll find some additional help. Throw in your phone model on the google search as well.

User Info Menu

You can get one on ebay for cheap and unlocked.. I have one for 3 yrs and still kickin..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by negrilgirl View Post
    My friend wants me to bring her a cell phone from the US for her to use in Jamaica. Would this work or do you have to buy the cell phone in Jamaica?
    Biggest request from Jamaicans is a new cellie...........
    first dem wanted a Razor and now dem want a Blackberry.........lol
    their cellies der are nicer than mine here in the states.........lol
    you can always just give her the money to buy her own in Jamaica........
    if you buy when here, you will probably have to unlock it.......
    and she may not like it.......or it might not be the right kind for Jamaica........
    Ebay is a great source for cellies here in N America........

the request may never end if you bring her sumthin this trip.......

oddest request I have ever got.......was a car battery.......lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

I just bought a brand new T Mobile Motorola RAZR for 35.00. I'll unlock it and then I can use my Digicel sim card in Jamaica.

I have a Coral 180 that I'll give to one of the kids.

The Coral works fine but my old eyes can't read the screen.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

i need a new ipod, so i am gonna get on ebay and get a unlocked iphone 3g for $175ish..(soon till xmas they will go up $$) that way in the states it will be my ipod, in jamaica my phone.. even if your iphone 3g isnt unlocked, you can get it unlocked in negril - so no problem.. just thought i would share what i am gonna do.. i used to have one, but when i get my new droid i got rid of it.. now i find i kill my droid battery by listening to music all day,
    but, the iphone 3g worked GREAT in negril - and can also be used at any wifi hotspot to stay in touch with the internet and email.. inexpensive phone/computer that works very well in negril..

User Info Menu

of course this probably isnt suited well as a gift - they would love it - but kinda pricey to give away

User Info Menu

Droid 4g guy here in states, love my 160 gb i-pod's everywhere, a older than the hills motorola that has tasted the kiss of various simm cards over the years that is to answer and make calls with there, but

I was shocked when a couple of young men (10 & 14) of my cousins aquaintance pulled out their i-phone and i-touch there and asked me to download games and buy them minutes and give them my wi-fi password. These are kids from a family that I have been lead to believe has trouble making their school supplies budget occasionally. Had to ask, where did you get those phones? gifts from foreign!,,,,, really,,,,,, Nike Michael Jordon's have been replaced by the i-phone as a status symbol,,,,, don't have any credits, but
    I have won many awards in a lifetime of competition and service. But the highest was offered without plaque or fanfare on a hilltop in post Ivan Jamaica. A true Rasta and a dear friend observed "Chet you are like a father of men, you see need and fulfill that need without being asked". Let us be travelers and not tourist.

User Info Menu

well, i am probably not gonna order one to give away - but i can see if i already had one sitting in a drawer after upgrading to something new, i would probably give it to some one in jamaica.. and as the new generations of these devices continue to flow into users hands, the more are inevitably going to sit in a drawer.

i also can attest that you see some odd pairings.. in february i talked to a kid in the hills that didnt have any money for food, they were running out of water in their collector, but had a sony PSP he was playing.. he said a foreigner gave it to him...

i could tell he was SOOOO proud of it..probably areound 10 yrs old