Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debit card fees

User Info Menu

Debit card fees

I have a visa debit card through my local bank (not a large corporate bank), and am contemplating using it at Jamaica ATM's. My bank informs me they will not charge any fees to use it. What would the local ATM fees be, and where is a good place to withdraw money? I will be staying at Charela Inn.

User Info Menu

Re: Debit card fees

Quote Originally Posted by ZSCHULZ View Post
    I have a visa debit card through my local bank (not a large corporate bank), and am contemplating using it at Jamaica ATM's. My bank informs me they will not charge any fees to use it. What would the local ATM fees be, and where is a good place to withdraw money? I will be staying at Charela Inn.
    I’ve withdrawn money both at Scotia and NSB and have not been charged any fees - not by my service (Revolut) or the local banks.

User Info Menu

Is your bank saying they will waive the foreign transaction fees?
    The fees you will encounter at an ATM are set by the ATM owners and can vary.
    I would also suggest an app like Card Valet which would allow you to turn your card on and off as needed.

User Info Menu

At the ATM inside the NCB by the HiLo the ATM fee was $2.50 plus your banks international transaction fee. In my case it was 3%.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

My bank says they have a 1% foreign transaction fee.

User Info Menu

You will also want to understand your banks fraud protection policies...like do they offer Zero Liability Protection. There are some institutions that will not allow your card to be open in certain countries, so check on that too. Also, understand that you need to be monitoring your account while you are on vacation and be mindful that in the event that you do experience fraud, it may be possible for the fraudsters to wipe out your account before you notice the missing funds.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Thanks Jamaicajeanne! Your knowledge of the internal bank workings helps us all!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

It is what I do everyday...beside dreaming that I was in Jamaica, LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZSCHULZ View Post
    The ATM charge is only $3-$4 US. I only use the ATMs at Scotia bank or NSB (I wouldn't trust the ATM at Times Square, it's either empty or down anyways) and have never had a problem in the 3 years of using it.

Last edited by ukran1ans; 02-06-2019 at 05:05 PM.

User Info Menu

If you search for "ATM" you'll find several threads discussing this.

No matter what they say, there are transaction costs embedded in whatever system you use. If they say "no fee", they're likely just giving you a worse exchange rate.

Here's one post I made on the topic a while back. While the exchange rate has changed, the overall assessment has not.
    https://negril.com/forum/showthread....l=1#post174566

Last month, I used the ScotiaBank ATMs at the bank near the roundabout, at Times Square, and at the craft market near Couples. Mostly I withdrew JM. No problems, except one day the Times Square machine was out of money. This seems to happen mostly on Sundays and also is an issue at the bank, so plan accordingly.