Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip Report: Blue Mountains, Boston Bay, Kingston

User Info Menu

Re: Trip Report: Blue Mountains, Boston Bay, Kingston

michael drove us through trench town and showed us first street and second street, where many of the most famous jamaican musicians originated.

i spotted an older dread standing just outside his yard with a big pot of something for sale and i just knew it was gonna be good, whatever was in that pot.

$150j per ear
    Last edited by mwenvlay; 03-01-2019 at 05:29 PM.

User Info Menu

we drove through jungle and denham town.

User Info Menu

we did a quick-ish pass through the kingston craft market, where husband bought 3 football jerseys, then we headed over to the culinary highlight of our trip, MOBY DICK RESTAURANT.

User Info Menu

moby dick is located at the base of orange street, on the corner of port royal. the block is quiet.

the restaurant is halal. run by a really beautiful older muslim woman who may be pakistani, i couldn't really tell. she didn't ~look~ indian to me, but that doesn't mean anything.

the food was the best i ate in ja this trip. ti boss and i got curry goat with white rice, michael got curry chicken and husband got curry shrimp. each plate came with home made roti (omg, sooooooooooooo good), plaintains (dry fried) and shredded cabbage and carrots. i also ordered lemonade for all of us- it was homemade, with the little limes, you could tell. it tasted exactly like the jus citron we make in haiti.

before

after

picture #2 isn't really "after," because ti boss took my plate and dumped everything onto his own.

User Info Menu

our server was very, very, very nice!

User Info Menu

final stop on our downtown swing:

container hotspot!

User Info Menu

container hotspot is a combo car wash, restaurant bar and lounge (with little private VIP rooms). everything is made out of shipping containers, even the bars (like, where you place your drinks). it's pretty cool, the way it's all put together.

aside from the car wash, the only part that was open while we were there (at around 3pm) was the little bar on the first floor. the outdoor restaurant (which was closed) is adjacent to it. the upstairs lounge was closed and i didn't ask if i could snoop around.

that's the front door to the bar. the glass door has tinting on it and the room has no windows, so it's permanently twilight time in there. every single one of the walls is wrapped, so you feel like you're inside a gigantic hood party flyer.

ian miles is the container boss

here's the VIP lounge. it obviously is not ready for VIPs yet- the workers were using it as an office space.

this is the outdoor restaurant area, directly accessible from the bar we were in.

i really wish we woulda been able to go there when it was full of people- the bartendress told me they just started running sunday brunch and that it's really popular. i told her i knew that, because i'd seen a video on youtube and it looked off the hook. i asked her if they often get rando tourists just walking in and she said yes, especially for the brunch. good for them!!! i love it.
    Last edited by mwenvlay; 03-01-2019 at 09:42 PM.

User Info Menu

i was so excited to describe our visit to container hotspot that i forgot to post these photos first...

leaving from moby dick, we drove up orange street...

and completely around the parade street roundabout

we also passed by the national heroes circle and its crab vendors, but i didn't manage to snap any photos around there.

User Info Menu

we spent exactly 5 hours driving around kingston with michael.

got back to the hotel at 4:11pm.

went immediately to the pool, where we were, again, the only people. i put on some haitian music (via youtube), ti boss went to the front desk to ask them to give us some towels and send someone to skim leaves out of the pool and husband settled in for a nap.

the guy who skimmed leaves did a very thorough job. once he was done, i got in and did a little swimming with ti boss, then let him jump around by himself while i watched.

we stayed at the pool until around 6:45pm, then went to the room to get ready to go out to eat.
    Last edited by mwenvlay; 03-02-2019 at 10:11 AM.

User Info Menu

here is some of the music i played at the pool: