Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Jamaica history lesson

User Info Menu

Re: A Jamaica history lesson

Quote Originally Posted by justin_a_lyesse View Post
    I do not know anything more about the author. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
    Okay...thanks, Justin.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. I plan to get my own music lesson by spending some time at Anthony's record shop, I collect vinyl/Reel to Reel and although my reggae collection is decent enough i am sorely lacking in rock steady, ska, and other lesser known genres. I don't know Anthony and i don't know how hard it is for him to get recordings from outside of the country but if anyone knows him and he's looking for anything maybe I can get it for him and bring it down (and we can do a little horse trading) But back the the talk, Rob, I agree that there is volumes of topics that can't be covered. An overview of 1962 and onwards would be of interest. Hopefully, this person would enjoy it and also appreciate the small amount of income from the evening. (who knows it could even become a thing, not all of us tourist want to sit around and drink all day, although I like a little of that too!). Best Regards, Jerry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Justin...do you know anything more about this author?
    It seems he's an American who studied mainly Bob Marley's history & wrote a couple of books about him. I can't find anything else saying he knows any other history, culture etc. Just curious.
    Yes, I took a look, seems a bit of an outlier, really prefer a citizen, not to be too critical but his hokey patois on his web page is a turn off to me.

User Info Menu

I would love to hear a little about the wild Pirate era, in addition to the culture and traditions, the fight for independence, international trade and plans for growth in the future.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Caferacer59 View Post
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. I plan to get my own music lesson by spending some time at Anthony's record shop, I collect vinyl/Reel to Reel and although my reggae collection is decent enough i am sorely lacking in rock steady, ska, and other lesser known genres. I don't know Anthony and i don't know how hard it is for him to get recordings from outside of the country but if anyone knows him and he's looking for anything maybe I can get it for him and bring it down (and we can do a little horse trading) But back the the talk, Rob, I agree that there is volumes of topics that can't be covered. An overview of 1962 and onwards would be of interest. Hopefully, this person would enjoy it and also appreciate the small amount of income from the evening. (who knows it could even become a thing, not all of us tourist want to sit around and drink all day, although I like a little of that too!). Best Regards, Jerry
    Just as a quick aside...noting your interest in vinyl. One of the best times I have ever spent in Jamaica was at the Iron Zion Record Plant and Tuff Gong Studios at 220 Marcus Garvey Drive in Kingston. Touring the record plant and having a press operator press me my own vinyl copy of a local youth who was having a run of 500 produced, touring the studios and then going to the Tuff Gong shop with row after row of vinyl records. Most were "one time presses" of clients who never made it but there were some gems in the mix.

I bought a handfull which I still have in storage somewhere today but it was in late '92 and launch day of the Bob Marley CD "Songs of Freedom" and I got a copy and a Tuff Gong receipt signed by Rita and Ziggy who were onsite for the promotion.

I just read that they had recently (2017) reopened the pressing plant due to the increase in demand for vinyl. Here is a link. http://thetropixs.com/tuff-gong-rela...ctory-jamaica/

Here is also a link to Tuff Gong International for more info. http://tuffgong.com/music/

The whole day was definitely a rush.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Accompong View Post
    Most were "one time presses" of clients who never made it but there were some gems in the mix.

I
    This is where the fun lies, finding the occasional Gem.

User Info Menu

This is where the fun lies, finding the occasional Gem.
    Picked up these in the past week. Going to bring a few in to negril to see if anthony has any interest in trading a bit

Dennis Brown, Inseparable

Burning Spear, People of the World,

Chalice, Blasted, , Very Rare...in original plastic cover.

LLoyd Charmer, Sweet Memories, Sarge 1979, British import

Bobby Ellis and the Crew, Shaka, DubLab , SEALED

Gregory Issacs, All I Have Is Love, First Press original Kingston Jamaica Pressing w/ all the rough edges, around label, in pressing. This is an Artifact for the serious reggae collector

King Sparrow, In High Fidelity, Cook Records , an old beautiful artifact of this classic record

King Sparrow, Sparrow Spectacular, (1974 original press)..put this on and be transported...another beautiful artifact,

Linton Kwesi Johnson, LKJ in Dub

Billy Ocean, When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going,

Billy Ocean, When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going, contains Carribbean Queen

Ossie Scott, w/ Sly and Robbie, Aston "Family Man" Barrett, Carlton Davis and others, Puff records great colorful label of a Dono puffing"

Vic Taylor, Does It His Way, w/ Ron Lee,

And I found an old Studio One T shirt, unworn in my size, that is kind a cool. Still searching for the instrumental record called Negril, 1974, Eric Gale produce and supposedly tosh plays on in uncredited.
    Last edited by Caferacer59; 03-14-2019 at 10:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Caferacer...
    I'm speaking to someone right now that should be perfect for you...I'll message you soon with further info.

User Info Menu

great thanks

Administrator

User Info Menu

great thanks
    Lisa and I just found the PERFECT PERSON for your history and cooking lessons!

Please check your private messages!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!