Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Jamaica history lesson

User Info Menu

A Jamaica history lesson

Does any one know of an individual who is knowledgeable about Jamaica History/Politics/culture of the island who is a good story teller and has a depth of knowledge about Jamaica who might be willing to do a 90 minute lecture/Q and A about Jamaica as described above. I have been coming to Jamaica for the past 5 years, my friends who I meet down there have been coming for over 10. And as much as I love hanging out on the beach, exploring the island as a tourist and drinking a beer with some goat curry, I am looking to put together something a little on the academic side for me and my friends. I could either host this casually at Idle A while where we stay. Or if possible it might be interesting to have it hosted in a local residents home which would make it more personal. I would also like to possibly hire a chef to make a nice traditional meal as part of this evening. Anyways, I am just trying to think out loud about doing something a little different for me and my family/friends that would make us more knowledgeable of a place (as tourist) we have come to love and find so endearing. There is so much to learn, the struggles of the Jamaican people, their myriad of successes, and the effect of the natural beauty of the island that shapes the philosophical outlook that is unique to your island nation. This would be in mid April. Thanks for taking the time to read. I was thinking for the 90 minute lecture we could pay about 30 U.S per person and negotiate the meal if that could happen also, I think we would have at least 5-8 (including some children) that would like to participate. anyways just thought i would ask here.

Best Regards,

Jerry
    Last edited by Caferacer59; 02-26-2019 at 08:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Re: A Jamaica history lesson

A good speaker and happens to be an elected MP for Westmoreland Dr Wykeham McNeill would be my choice for a Jamaican to speak. You might contact him through https://www.facebook.com/WestWestMP/

Of course, our own fearless Rob is certainly a wealth of experience and knowledge. We each have our own level of experience and knowledge (some a lot more than others) but most don't live and work in Jamaica. Rob does but whether he has the time or inclination would be the question. Wouldn't hurt to ask though.

Just my opinion.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Thanks I emailed Dr. Mcneill and I appreciate the response from you, I do not know who Robb is, I am guessing the moderator of this board. Nonetheless for board readers and others, suggestions or insights are appreciated.

User Info Menu

While Rob is very, very knowledgeable after working and living here for over 26 years and interestingly enough knows Dr. Wykeham McNeill quite well...
    I was thinking that a history teacher that was born and raised in Jamaica would be a good source of information.
    I was fortunate enough to take a course offered by the JTB when I first moved down here...this gave me little snippets of Jamaican history, politics etc. and the rest of the students were kind enough to share their day to day lives.
    Caferacer59, though the course I took isn't available to the public...it sounds like something similar would be of interest to you. If you like the idea of a history teacher or someone similar to speak with your group...I would be happy to ask some of the teachers I know.

User Info Menu

Definitely interested in a history teacher who might find this fun to do. Please reach out and I will monitor these boards. i can also be reached at cafew650cafe@gmail.com

Thank you for assisting us.

User Info Menu

just a bump to the top if anyone has any recommendations.

User Info Menu

There also David Cupples who is an author (Book: Stir It Up: The CIA Targets Jamaica, Bob Marley & the Progressive Manley Government) which he wrote with Roger Steffens and Casey Gane-McCalla.

His FB says he will be in Negril soon.

His website is https://stiritupbob.wixsite.com/stiritupcia

His FB is https://www.facebook.com/david.cupples.5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by justin_a_lyesse View Post
    There also David Cupples who is an author (Book: Stir It Up: The CIA Targets Jamaica, Bob Marley & the Progressive Manley Government) which he wrote with Roger Steffens and Casey Gane-McCalla.
    Justin...do you know anything more about this author?
    It seems he's an American who studied mainly Bob Marley's history & wrote a couple of books about him. I can't find anything else saying he knows any other history, culture etc. Just curious.

User Info Menu

I do not know anything more about the author. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Jamaica has a wildly incredible 500+ history as part of the "New World", that would be prior to its 10,000+ years of undocumented but archaeological history.

Give us a week to see who may be interested in a talk/lesson about the complete history of Jamaica. Like the Bob Marley years, any given 20 year time period since 1500 is filled with what could be a book subject into itself!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!