Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Wedding/Trip Report day 1

User Info Menu

Cool Wedding/Trip Report day 1

Here we go, off to Jamaica for our dream wedding! 28 of us left our small home towns in the early morning hours of Wednesday 4/13/11. 26 of us flew out of MNPLS at 530am and 2 out of Chicago. With a layover in Atlanta we sat in anticipation of what was to come. I had been to Jamaica over a dozen times since 1999 and my family has always wondered why I keep going back. My fiancé, Kevin, both brothers, and my mom had all been there once with me on separate trips. We landed in MoBay at 1pm 4/13, I walked out into the warm, fresh air to the hundreds of taxi offers to find Rocky waiting, with such a friendly smile and cold beers. We loaded people into one small bus and our luggage into another small bus.

We stopped to exchange money at a cambio. I collected money from 25 people and exchanged it all together,that was interesting, dividing up over $400,000J. Then to Mega Mart for some groceries/beer which proved to be overwhelming for most at this point. Then off to Negril, down the same path for all these years, the sights, sounds, smells! I sat in the “drivers” seat and watched the scenery go by. It was a quiet ride as everyone was tired from the long travels and the strong Red Stripes. I hope they got to soak in some scenery. Going through Lucea is always a treat. I love the feeling I get when we are close to Negril and start seeing the all-inclusives and all the familiar places. We arrived at NBCC around 5pm. We all got our rooms and got settled before meeting on the beach for dinner. Jean was so organized and such a sweet lady. I told our guests to walk down the beach and look for Coconut International or any other place to eat, C.I was closed so we ate at Beach House Villas. I am sure the size of our group overwhelmed them but they didn’t tell us that, just took our orders over a 45 minute period and the food came out …..slowly. Not a good first night, I would say a total of 3 hours later we were paying the bill. Most were disgruntled, crabby, and tired and I thought to myself “what have I gotten myself into with a group this big?”

User Info Menu

Yay Snowflake! I have been so looking forward to your trip/wedding report!

This story sounds so familiar to me, we had 28 guests too and our first day/night was very similar! lol, good times!
    Can't wait for more!!!

User Info Menu

The restaraunt is not always slow, probably just the group size issue as they have one kitchen worker total. Beach House Villas is the oceanview rest.. Try the Pepper shrimp OMG I miss it sooo bad. Yummy. They have WIFI at the bar there too.

Children Are Our Tomorrow !

User Info Menu

happy marriage
    now on with the trip report please and pictures too :-)

User Info Menu

Day 2, Thursday, rested and refreshed we checked out our beach, amazing, this piece of beach is huge, serene, and has a lot of shade available. Also, there were plenty of beach chairs and there wasn’t hardly anyone there besides our group. 8 of the group had arranged for Rocky to take them to Mayfield Falls, they left while the rest of us relaxed on the beach. I walked to Yellowbird to see old friends and set up Mikey and Pogo to take us to Ricks for sunset. Andrea, the beautiful lady who sells things at YB, gave me Muffet’s # (bartender for years at YB). I called Muffet and invited her to our wedding. We took in the beach, most tried patties from Neville the Patty Man on the bike. Mid-afternoon 16 of us went on the One Love glass bottom boat. We stopped at the caves and snorkeled-1st try for most and they loved it. My brother swam under the boat and that got a hoot from all those who have never been on a glass bottom before. Then to Ricks Café to watch the divers. Kevin, my beau, and 4 others jumped from the cliff. Brave souls. This boat trip ended up being so much fun, laid back, great vibe for our 1st full day. Turns out the rest of the group got back from Mayfield and came to meet us at Ricks but we missed each other. Dinner was frustrating again, I think it was Coconut International, but it again took a few hours and the current went out for most of our dining. I would recommend reservations for over 10 people. Good thing for the flashlights recommended on this board!

Day 3, Friday, everyone relaxed, shopped, swam, and hung out all day. Everyone got ready for the wedding. Bill, of Negril Portraits, came early and took some preparation shots. I finally got nervous/anxious at the amazing thing that was about to happen, something I have dreamed of. I walked down the sand to Kevin at maybe 530pm. Barefoot on the beach, in the presence of ALL our immediate family and our best friends, we were married by Rev Garwood. We had a sand ceremony, signed our LARGE marriage certificate, and prayed to God for his blessings. The ceremony was perfect in every way. Bill took hundreds of photos, which by the way, are amazing! While doing some fun pics a horse “appeared” on the beach. For $10 Kevin and I jumped on and got some cute pics. The decorations for the ceremony and dinner were beautiful in pink, yellow, and blues. I am not even sure who decorated as it all occurred while I was in the room getting ready. I know Pat and Jean had much to do with the beauty. The arch we got married under was decked out in tropical flowers of lilies, orchids, bird of paradise and palms. Our bouquets, done by Sherrill at NBCC, were breath-taking. Chef Orlando worked his magic with appetizers of cod and callaloo fritters. We drank Rum Punch and their version of sangria. There were toasts, kisses, prays, and eating. Dinner was the most delicious “lingah chicken”, escovitch fish, rice and peas, pasta salad, fried dumpling, salad. My favorite meal the whole trip. During dinner Delroy arrived to play his guitar and sing for us. We met Delroy on the beach singing for tips the day before and he agreed to come for an hour. He did a great job. Just as we finished eating dinner, it began to rain~Gods Blessing they say right! After dinner and cake we played an ice breaker “get to know each other” game that was very fun. The groundskeepers made us a bon fire to enjoy. One by one the wedding party men were thrown into the sea and then some of the ladies ran in as well. A couple of us went to Alfred’s for some live music, danced until we were dripping in sweat. A fairytale wedding for sure.

Day 4, Saturday, I had arranged for everyone to go on the Wild Thing Half Moon beach cruise. We were bussed to the boat and this turned out to be the most fun group activity ever. All 28 of us went. We snorkeled at the reef, slid into the sea on their slide, picnicked at Half Moon, and danced and partied the whole way back. It was such a great atmosphere, the staff were fun, drinks were strong, music was perfect, and moods were lifted! Some of us bounced on the Margeritaville trampolines and then walked back.

That night for dinner I made reservations for Ivan’s at Catcha Falling Star. Wow, that place is fabulous, beautiful spot and landscaping. The lighting is very cool. The food was very good, everyone liked what they had. We enjoyed the photo ops all over this place. Great view of Rick’s.

User Info Menu

Days 2, 3, 4 posted above, including the wedding day. NM

nm

User Info Menu

how wonderful for you all ~

User Info Menu

Sounds like a nice time was had by all-Congrats on the wedding and thanks for sharing )

User Info Menu

trying to Bump this thread so its near my second 1/2 of trip report.

User Info Menu

Sounds like you all had a great time. Thanks for the report. I could sense your happiness! Bring on the pics!