Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More bad news ?

User Info Menu

Re: More bad news ?

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    We live near Boston, I don't know what makes the news around the country but young woman disappear from bars on a regular basis. Young lady was recently saved by police because of security cameras along the sidewalks. However another young lady was not so lucky , she was brutally murdered . The US government should issue a travel warning for Boston
    I live in Boston, Southie actually. Thank God the St. Paddy's parade is over lol. Comparing Boston, a city of over a half a million, to Negril is a little bit of overreach. And to say women disappear from bars in Town on a regular basis is a bit aggressive. Just saying.
    Last edited by bigbamboo; 03-19-2019 at 08:56 PM.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Looks like JA made No 3 on this list of places that are crime ridden.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabe...-to-stay-safe/
    Death does not concern us., because as long as we exist, death is not here. And once it does come, we no longer exist.
    - Epicurus

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jah Bless View Post
    Looks like JA made No 3 on this list of places that are crime ridden.

We discussed the use of this Forbes article "10 Most Dangerous Places For Women Travelers (And How To Stay Safe)" in a USA Today story from last October.

Here is what I wrote then:

Quote Originally Posted by Jahansen View Post
    I wish this weren't the case, but this is from the USA Today article:

Last year, Jamaica was ranked the third most dangerous country for female travelers by Trip by Skyscanner, a California-based travel research company that reviews destinations worldwide. Egypt and Morocco topped the list.
    Trip by Skyscanner? Let's check out the source.

From their website, they offer only this safety tip about Jamaica:

"Safety
    Solo Female Travel Tips
    In Jamaica, "don't make yourself a target in a relatively poor country." If possible, "avoid local beaches, stick to tourist areas." Some suggested bringin "a smaller purse, which can be kept close to you (i.e. A cross body)."

Trip by Skyscanner surveyed its Solo Female Traveller Tribe to compile woman-to-woman safety tips for this destination. While no one destination is ever completely safe or unsafe, our hope is that this information will allow users to make their own decisions with better information.
    "

Trip by Skyscanner IS NOT a travel RESEARCH company that the article suggests, but a travel SEARCH company. From their site:

"About Skyscanner
    Skyscanner is a leading global travel search site and app, a place where people are inspired to plan and book direct from millions of travel options at the best prices. We employ over 900 staff across ten offices globally, and having reached market leader status, we were acquired by Chinese online travel company Ctrip in in a deal valued at $1.7B in 2016. Trip by Skyscanner (formerly Gogobot) was acquired by Ctrip and integrated into Skyscanner in 2017.
    "

In the Solo Female Tribe section of the Trip by Skyscanner site, they do have a safety link to a Daily Mail article which Jamaica is not mentioned.

https://www.trip.skyscanner.com/blog...ips-and-tribe/

I did find a Forbes article about solo woman safety regarding Mexico, where the author was congratulating Trip by Skyscanner for their latest Tribe, the Solo Woman Traveller. Here is what she wrote:

"But this latest warning is particularly noteworthy, as the incidents that prompted it impacted a number of women and underscored the importance of safety for female travelers, whether they’re on vacation or a business trip in Mexico or anywhere in the world.

As part of the launch of its newest and 20thtribe, Solo Female Travelers, Trip by Skyscanner recently released a list of the 10 most dangerous places for solo female travelers. Based on a survey of Trip by Skyscanner users, the list comprises the lowest rated countries. For some Trip by Skyscanner users, this doesn’t necessarily mean “no go,” but it definitely means “take caution.” And while Mexico didn’t make the top 10 list, it still raises concern with people like Julia Pond, Trip by Skyscanner’s editorial director, who shared her insight on how to stay safe, whether you’re in Mexico or any of the places on the list.
    "

Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I think this tread has gotten of topic slightly. This thread was about something that happened in Whitehall last week and we for get that family and friends (including Rob and Lisa), are hurting and need support. What's happening in Boston, although tragic, has very little to do with whats happening in our slice of paradise. As a tourist and part time resident, do I feel threatened walking the beach during the day?? No. In fact, IMHO I think the biggest threat to our safety right now is the crazy drivers killing themselves and others in this area.
    Also, Harry S, how can you say "The police don't seem to have done much of anything so far". Rob just said the police made an arrest for the Whitehall incident. The police have issued arrest warrants for 25 people after the Sav thing a few weeks ago and I believe most have been arrested. They have declared the S.O.E. in St. James last year with positive results. They set up road blocks every day looking for under world people. I think the police are doing everything they can with what little they have to work with. The police need our support and not comments that they are doing little or nothing.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Rob;209720]We discussed the use of this Forbes article "10 Most Dangerous Places For Women Travelers (And How To Stay Safe)" in a USA Today story from last October.

Here is what I wrote then:

—-

Good to know. Lot of info here Rob. I’ll look it over in detail.
    Thanks
    Death does not concern us., because as long as we exist, death is not here. And once it does come, we no longer exist.
    - Epicurus

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    HarryS,

I understand that you have emotional feelings as do we. He was someone we know. We are not even to nine night yet. Our feelings are raw. We knew him.

But even with that being said, Jamaica is safer per capita than both St. Louis and Baltimore, similar to Detroit and New Orleans.

As for our visitors, we had somewhere between 1.5 to 2 million US visitors last year. Our visitor crime stats for that number of people are virtually non-existent.

I know one crime is too many, but lets try not to let emotions exaggerate the facts.
    As a many times a year visitor...…… I Agree 1000 %

User Info Menu

Nothing I said was about emotions - but I have had Rob tell me not to let emotions exaggerate facts, and others agreeing. The ones saying that are the ones dealing in emotion. What I said was literally just facts - comments on actual statistics with some of my own opinion thrown in. Maybe I was off with my comment about the police not making a difference, and I acknowledge that. But shootings in broad daylight suggest that they have a loooooong way to go. The rest I stand behind.

I have a hard time absorbing all the spin placed on the negative here. I get it - it's a tourist site and the main goal is to promote tourism. However, I also don't like my words manipulated and the meanings changed. Not the first time Rob has done this to me, and I'm sure if I keep posting here it won't be the last. It's hard to have a contrary opinion here, regardless of right or wrong.

That being said, I take the blame for being insensitive to peoples feelings while the wound is still fresh. I'm sorry for the loss that some of you are feeling.

Administrator

User Info Menu

HarryS,

I am sorry if the facts conflict with your opinions. I am not sure why I am not allowed to present the facts.

I understand you have strong feelings about Negril and Jamaica. But facts are facts. They are not subject to any opinion, just simply what they are, facts.

You stated "Safer in Jamaica than a major city in the USA... Not true."

Harry, this is FALSE. According to your own FBI, both St. Louis and Baltimore, of which both are major USA cities, have higher per capita murder rates than Jamaica. As you said, there are statistics for this and your claim is not true.

You also stated "
    Go ahead, say it doesn't happen to tourists. Not exactly true. There are plenty of stories out there about crime against tourists."

Well, yes, I agree there are always stories, but stories are stories. The Negril Rumor Mill is filled with all kinds of stories. We have had many posted here over the years.

But in this case the facts show otherwise. For the nearly 2 million USA visitors to Jamaica each year, the number of incidents of any reported crime, let alone murder, are far below the rate of any USA major city even remotely that size. So your second claim is also false. This is based on all the available facts and statistics.

Harry, we have been over this before. Just because you strongly believe something does not make it a fact.

And so you know, and for the record, what I am saying has nothing to do with manipulating your words or because this is a tourism website. Negril.com is here to provide the best, most reliable and truthful information about Negril so our visitors have the best time possible.

It serves us no purpose to mislead or cover up anything that will effect our guests vacation time. To think that this is even possible in this age of the Internet is absurd. And personally I am getting tired of repeating myself about this.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!