Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More bad news ?

User Info Menu

More bad news ?

Anyone Heard about a cab driver at a car wash ?
    I heard Keno ?
    If they're going after cabdrivers doesn't that mean tourist could be in the way ? Say it isn't so .

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: More bad news ?

Yes, this happened last Wednesday morning just after 8am while he was getting a car wash in Whitehall. We know him and saw him the day before. There was no robbery and persons of interest were taken into police custody the following day.

While we understand everyone's concern, while discussing this please remember to be respectful to his family, friends and others here on Negril.com.

Thank you.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Rest In Peace mon

User Info Menu

I would think that crime such as Taxi-Hijacking, or Holding Tourist for Ransome hasnt arrived in Jamaica yet.
    But I would think that crimes of this nature would be met with extreme prejudice, as this is a life's blood for the Island. So the Goveremnt would spare no expense in tracking down the "bad guys" and dealing them a severe blow !.....and the bad guys know that...so as tourists your probably more safer then if you were in a major city in the US.......
    So head down, relax, stay smart.....and have a GREAT time!
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

Safer in Jamaica than a major city in the USA... Not true.

There are statistics for this.

Jamaica has one of the highest per capita murder rates in the world.

Go ahead, say it doesn't happen to tourists. Not exactly true. There are plenty of stories out there about crime against tourists.

The "bad guys" don't care about the tourist industry and how it relates to the overall economic viability of all of Jamaica. The police don't seem to have done much of anything so far, what with daytime shootings happening on a regular basis. People are not afraid of the police.

User Info Menu

We are deeply saddened by this news. Our heartfelt condolences to Akeino's friends and family. May God be your Comforter, Helper, and Counselor in this difficult time.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
    Safer in Jamaica than a major city in the USA... Not true.

There are statistics for this.

Jamaica has one of the highest per capita murder rates in the world.

Go ahead, say it doesn't happen to tourists. Not exactly true. There are plenty of stories out there about crime against tourists...
    HarryS,

I understand that you have emotional feelings as do we. He was someone we know. We are not even to nine night yet. Our feelings are raw. We knew him.

But even with that being said, Jamaica is safer per capita than both St. Louis and Baltimore, similar to Detroit and New Orleans.

As for our visitors, we had somewhere between 1.5 to 2 million US visitors last year. Our visitor crime stats for that number of people are virtually non-existent.

I know one crime is too many, but lets try not to let emotions exaggerate the facts.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the clarification Rob. As you said..be mindful of your surroundings.
    [/url]

Sometimes it's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

User Info Menu

I dont see what HarryS exaggerated.

User Info Menu

We live near Boston, I don't know what makes the news around the country but young woman disappear from bars on a regular basis. Young lady was recently saved by police because of security cameras along the sidewalks. However another young lady was not so lucky , she was brutally murdered . The US government should issue a travel warning for Boston