Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SOE for St. James (again) Hanover and Westmoreland

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: SOE for St. James (again) Hanover and Westmoreland

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Gansta's Rule !! Thug Life !! Government... Not Working !! Just to say that I was thinking Daily on my recent Trip of all the Bob Marley songs about Government Injustice and Poverty and People on People Crime !! As I listened to back in the Mid / Late Seventies !! Well ... 40 odd years later !! The Whole System is coming Apart... Just So Sad for all the People in Jamaica !! Living in Fear !! It's JamRock Indeed !! My Thoughts and Prayers are with the Jamaican People that are so Special too me . Also I hope the Island Paradise will Prevail in these Troubled Times !! I of course will still return to the Rock .... As it has Special Place in my Heart !!Attachment 53061
    While definitely not a long term solution, the extra policing powers granted under the SOE are making a positive impact. Last year's SOE is credited with decreasing the murder rate alone by 22% in 2018 from 2017.

The assessment above doesn't match the reality for those living here. It doesn't take into account any of the positives happening for Jamaica such as the decrease in crime.

In addition, the Jamaica Stock Exchange (JSE) has been declared the Best Performing Stock Market globally by Bloomberg Businessweek.

And it is likely that we will be out of the IMF agreement later this year.

All major positives!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Rob. Thank you... For that info. The Fact that you are there at the Ground Level... Can only help the rest of us Understand !! Keep us posted on the Positives !! All the Visitors / Boardies need to hear that ! We can only hope that Tings ! Get better soon for the Majority of the People.. Let Peace Prevail... On the Rock.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Thanks Highlander! It often seems that only bad news is worthy of being mentioned, which always skews perception.

The "austerity" budgets we have gotten used to because of the IMF have been difficult. Ending the IMF deal will help all of Jamaica greatly.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

In 1983 the IMF austerity budget forced Jamaica to outlaw doing business in US dollars. That was the main reason I left the Island in '86. It was just impossible to make a living.

Thank God we're finally getting rid of the IMF due to the diligence and sacrifice of the Jamaican people

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    In 1983 the IMF austerity budget forced Jamaica to outlaw doing business in US dollars. That was the main reason I left the Island in '86. It was just impossible to make a living.

Thank God we're finally getting rid of the IMF due to the diligence and sacrifice of the Jamaican people

Cap
    Name:  confessions.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  25.5 KB

A great read on the evils of the IMF and WB. Take the money, lose you soul.

"Confessions of an Economic Hit Man" by John Perkins

User Info Menu

Very happy to read Jamaica will escape the clutches of the IMF. I remember Michael Manley speaking of the problems a country endures with the “help” of the IMF.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kold Ass Mofo View Post
    The US gun manufacturers have some culpability in this mess.

"70 Per Cent Of Guns Seized In JA In 2016 Sourced In US"

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...016-sourced-us
    Mofo, thanks for your post. That was my first thought when I saw this thread. "I wonder where all the guns are from, I thought facetiously?" I'm a former cop (Michigan) and I've been shot at while both at home and on duty. I'm not entertaining a gun discussion, that was just my initial thought. I feel for the many good people who are trapped in neighborhoods that have to live with this insanity.

Dr. J

User Info Menu

It is a shame that the government has had to resort to military checkpoints in the effort to reduce crime in your beautiful country however it can only be seen as a good thing if it helps reduce violent crime.
    On our way from Montego Bay to Negril we passed 2 checkpoints and were waved through after a quick check with our bus driver.
    We had already decided that we wanted to go to Black River and YS Falls on an organised tour, the bus picked us up and off we went. We encountered a queue at a military checkpoint. The cars in front of us were quickly waved through only for a young cop to decide that he needed to see everyones passports on the bus and we were waved off the road. The young guy then decided we all needed to get off the bus and present our passports. Our driver Byron made a phone call to his boss to explain what was happening and before we had time to get off the bus we had the senior guy from the JDF get on the bus and apologise most profusely that the young guy was an inexperienced Police officer and had made an error of judgement and that we were free to continue and he hoped we had a good day.
    The JDF guy was brilliant and managed to avoid what could have quickly become a major problem as not one of us had our passports with us (We are advised to leave our passports locked in our safes)
    We had a fantastic day out at Black River and YS Falls and passed through the same checkpoint on the way back without incident.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by harrison View Post
    It is a shame that the government has had to resort to military checkpoints in the effort to reduce crime in your beautiful country however it can only be seen as a good thing if it helps reduce violent crime.
    On our way from Montego Bay to Negril we passed 2 checkpoints and were waved through after a quick check with our bus driver.
    We had already decided that we wanted to go to Black River and YS Falls on an organised tour, the bus picked us up and off we went. We encountered a queue at a military checkpoint. The cars in front of us were quickly waved through only for a young cop to decide that he needed to see everyones passports on the bus and we were waved off the road. The young guy then decided we all needed to get off the bus and present our passports. Our driver Byron made a phone call to his boss to explain what was happening and before we had time to get off the bus we had the senior guy from the JDF get on the bus and apologise most profusely that the young guy was an inexperienced Police officer and had made an error of judgement and that we were free to continue and he hoped we had a good day.
    The JDF guy was brilliant and managed to avoid what could have quickly become a major problem as not one of us had our passports with us (We are advised to leave our passports locked in our safes)
    We had a fantastic day out at Black River and YS Falls and passed through the same checkpoint on the way back without incident.
    So, a couple of check points that you were quickly wave through and a stop on the way to Black River. I see this only as a positive trip report. No loss of time between MoBay and Negril and only a few moments on the way to Black River. The young JCF officer learned a lesson and although it may have been a little nerve racking at first when you were asked off the bus, remember freedom is not free and the price of peace and security is not free as well. The next time you see those young JCF officers, or JDF, offer to buy them a bottle of water or a fruit drink. Remember, they are the front line (and in most cases the last line) of defense for our peace and security.

Thanks for reporting harrison

User Info Menu

We are very glad we left early for the airport yesterday. The backup at the checkpoint going into MoBay was about a half hour when we went through and you could see it backing up over the hill. I'd recommend having a little extra time going back on a Saturday or Sunday to the airport.