Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SOE for St. James (again) Hanover and Westmoreland

User Info Menu

SOE for St. James (again) Hanover and Westmoreland

Someone mentioned to me that one should be declared for the Island itself in order to make some difference. Too many illegal firearms contributing to crime and murders.
    Let's see how the situation develops.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...sses-under-soe

User Info Menu

Re: SOE for St. James (again) Hanover and Westmoreland

most everything on the West End/Cliffs has been closed by 8PM.........it's like a ghost town right now....true
    it's low season now anyways so things are slower anyways.......
    be safe everyone and enjoy

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Is there actually a curfew?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Is there actually a curfew?
    Did I miss something? Unless I missed it, I saw no mention of a curfew anywhere.

Administrator

User Info Menu

There is no curfew on people. The SOE, which started last Tuesday has new enforced business hours which can technically be called a "curfew on business operation", but no curfew on people in general.

After a week of cruising around Negril, non-scientific observations seems to reveal that it is pretty much business as usual in Negril.

Busy season ended April 15 and the last of the Boardie Bash attendees departed the island after our Bash on the 26th, so the town slowed down considerably as it normally does.

One noticeable difference with the SOE is the fewer motorcycles on the road. I am sure a good amount of the bikes left simply because season ended, but there are far fewer bikes on the road.

The SOE continues for another week and can be extended for 3 months by a vote in Parliament.

Here are the new business hours, which are already being complained about by many business owners....

Clubs and fast food restaurants – from 6:00 a.m. until 12:00 a.m.

Every place required by law to operate under a tavern licence from 7:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m.

Petroleum filling stations from 6:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m.

Supermarkets, grocery shops, haberdasheries, cook shops and any other place offering goods for sale from 6:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m.

Pharmacies from 6:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m.

Any other public place, except a tourism enterprise, or a tourism accommodation as defined in the Tourist Board Act from 7:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    Did I miss something? Unless I missed it, I saw no mention of a curfew anywhere.
    I was asking a clarification of Marcos statement that almost everything was closed by 8 o’clock. Got a group going down next week and just want to be informed. Thanks Rob.

User Info Menu

It is kind of confusing. A club is open until midnight - but doesn't a club need a tavern license and would then have to close by 10PM?

We were there when this took effect and it had no effect on us at all (we're usually retired for the evening by 10pm...). Actually one of our best trips ever. Couple road checks on the way to MBJ - no big deal at all.

Administrator

User Info Menu

There are different categories of spirit (alcohol) licenses, retail, tavern, hotel, club, etc. Each has their own hours of operation.

A tavern license has normal closing hour at 11pm. With the SOE, this has been reduced to 10pm.

And today the House extended the SOE to July 29.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Gansta's Rule !! Thug Life !! Government... Not Working !! Just to say that I was thinking Daily on my recent Trip of all the Bob Marley songs about Government Injustice and Poverty and People on People Crime !! As I listened to back in the Mid / Late Seventies !! Well ... 40 odd years later !! The Whole System is coming Apart... Just So Sad for all the People in Jamaica !! Living in Fear !! It's JamRock Indeed !! My Thoughts and Prayers are with the Jamaican People that are so Special too me . Also I hope the Island Paradise will Prevail in these Troubled Times !! I of course will still return to the Rock .... As it has Special Place in my Heart !!Name:  20161229_125730_resized.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  700.1 KB

User Info Menu

The US gun manufacturers have some culpability in this mess.

"70 Per Cent Of Guns Seized In JA In 2016 Sourced In US"

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...016-sourced-us