Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to bring my friend a drill on our upcoming visit...

User Info Menu

Re: Trying to bring my friend a drill on our upcoming visit...

Accompong, I consider myself lucky, most of the requests to bring stuff were business owners and needed the items for their business, so payment was never an issue!
    There were other friends on the Island that became too needy as time went on and I had to back away from that "friendship".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VVHT View Post
    Accompong, I consider myself lucky, most of the requests to bring stuff were business owners and needed the items for their business, so payment was never an issue!
    There were other friends on the Island that became too needy as time went on and I had to back away from that "friendship".
    I understand and I hoped (after writing what I did) you wouldn't take it like I was disrespecting what you were doing. I, too, have brought hundreds of items for people and have been paid many times over for them but, yes, as the economy went down so also the reluctance to pay went up.

I have tried to live by the mantra. "If you can't afford to lose it, don't take it to Jamaica" I am always prepared to make a gift out of it if I have to.

The other problem is with the "quality" such as the remark about Black and Decker. I know Porter/Cable is preferred but Black and Decker does the job. If I give a watch, it is a Timex and not a Rolex. or a flip phone and not an I-Phone. I don't give a gift to impress I do it to help.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

I agree that some time ago if you needed it, you had to bring it with you in checked or carry on luggage. Now a days, just about everything you want or need is available in Negril or close by. Brumahlia House in Sav has a great selection of power tools. If it is just a small job and the drill is not needed after, might I suggest renting one. I have a name and number of someone up in Red Ground that rents tools and construction equipment. One more option is to buy a used one here. On the way from the airport to Negril, stop in Sandy Bay. There is a guy there with a shipping container full of used tools, equipment, bicycles, fishing stuff, etc. It's like a yard sale and Canadian Tire clearance aisle all rolled into one. Have your driver stop at the Seaview Bar for the coldest Red Stripe between MBJ and Negril and then walk back a half block to the shipping container. One more option is these guys;

https://rtabiz.biz/shipping/

Just buy it on eBay or amazon and use their location in Miami as the shipping address. They will ship it to Jamaica and then email you the shipping and customs fee's. Once they are paid they ship it to Negril via the Knutsford Express. Surprisingly easy and actually fairly inexpensive.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNYC View Post
    So Rtitle, did you end up with a girl, riding a kids bike, smoking a joint.... all for $20 US!
    Oh, and my opinion is the joint will probably last longer than anything Black & Decker.
    No I just bought the kids bike and drove up to where the kid lives in Hanover and gave it as a gift. This was a pickney who is like an adopted daugher of mine (she's in her 20's now). She was thrilled with the gift. Though by the next time I visited, the bike was mashed-up. Sigh.

User Info Menu

I'm guessing that the 50 Hz current in JA would not affect a drill from the USA with our 60 Hz current - maybe turn a bit slower if plugged and charge a bit slower if rechargeable?

User Info Menu

Once, we bought and brought down a Dremel for a "jeweler", no problem in our checked bags. But I agree with Accompong, drills are available in JA, why not buy it there. We gave ours as a gift anyhow , so its one less thing you have to worry about toting down there.
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/

Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe, and enthusiastically act upon, will inevitably come to pass.