Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to bring my friend a drill on our upcoming visit...

User Info Menu

Trying to bring my friend a drill on our upcoming visit...

Hi-

From what I am seeing on Google, I can not bring a drill onto the plane. Is there anyway else I can get my friend a drill over in Jamaica? We are from the states and was hoping to bring it over in November on our next trip but it looks like I'm not going to be able too...

Just looking to see if anyone has other options.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Re: Trying to bring my friend a drill on our upcoming visit...

Quote Originally Posted by bobbynh View Post
    Hi-

From what I am seeing on Google, I can not bring a drill onto the plane. Is there anyway else I can get my friend a drill over in Jamaica? We are from the states and was hoping to bring it over in November on our next trip but it looks like I'm not going to be able too...

Just looking to see if anyone has other options.

Thanks
    You can always put a drill in your checked baggage and not declare it. Even if it is found, they are not so expensive that it would be a big deal.

However.... there are plenty of hardware stores in Jamaica that sell them as well. Why don't you just consider buying one there?
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

there are three hardware stores in Negril, one on the west end looks pretty comprehensive. google is your friend !

User Info Menu

thank you man, I thought about buying a drill there but I am unsure of what to expect for prices and quality. I will check it out. Is it better to go a hardware store in Negril or on the way in?

Sponsor

User Info Menu

I don't know but your question reminds me of this story. I was asked to bring a bicycle for a 8-year-old pickney (child of a close friend). Obviously I didn't want to carry one on the plane. So after arriving I stopped in MoBay. As soon as I got out of my rental car, one of those higgler types approaches and asks if I want weed or a girl or anything. So I said, no but I'm looking for a bicycle for an 8-year-old. Without missing a beat, like it's the most normal request in the world for a tourist to make right after arriving, he says "no problem, follow me" and guides me to a store where I can buy one.

Moral of story: "No problem" I'm sure there are plenty stores in MoBay where you buy a drill and plenty folks who can help you find one.

Have a great trip!

User Info Menu

There was a time when I used to bring items to Jamaica for friends. They would pay me for the items upon arrival. Sometimes these items were either unavailable on the island or too expensive. Mostly it was high tech stuff that was not easily available on the island, but in some cases they wanted a specific make or model of an item that wasn't available on the island. I would always pack the items in checked luggage and remove them from the packaging. I was fortunate that customs never questioned what was in my checked luggage.

Good luck!

Enjoy,

VVHT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VVHT View Post
    There was a time when I used to bring items to Jamaica for friends. They would pay me for the items upon arrival. Sometimes these items were either unavailable on the island or too expensive. Mostly it was high tech stuff that was not easily available on the island, but in some cases they wanted a specific make or model of an item that wasn't available on the island. I would always pack the items in checked luggage and remove them from the packaging. I was fortunate that customs never questioned what was in my checked luggage.

Good luck!

Enjoy,

VVHT
    Yes, "there was a time" and then payments often became "soon come" and often not at all. Jamaica is different now. Almost everything is available on the island and it just comes down to whose money is going to buy it. Yes, things are a little more expensive on the island but it helps the economy to buy it there.

bobbynh. There is a True Value Hardware in the Fairview Shopping Center as you leave Mobay. They carry Black and Decker.
    Last edited by Accompong; 05-22-2019 at 10:34 AM. Reason: added to response
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rtitle View Post
    I don't know but your question reminds me of this story. I was asked to bring a bicycle for a 8-year-old pickney (child of a close friend). Obviously I didn't want to carry one on the plane. So after arriving I stopped in MoBay. As soon as I got out of my rental car, one of those higgler types approaches and asks if I want weed or a girl or anything. So I said, no but I'm looking for a bicycle for an 8-year-old. Without missing a beat, like it's the most normal request in the world for a tourist to make right after arriving, he says "no problem, follow me" and guides me to a store where I can buy one.

Moral of story: "No problem" I'm sure there are plenty stores in MoBay where you buy a drill and plenty folks who can help you find one.

Have a great trip!
    Too funny.
    I'll play. Reminds me of a story...
    At a red light in Mobay after airport pick up. Guy walks up selling all kids of car accessories, steering wheel covers, air fresheners, floor mats, you get the picture. My driver says you could probably tell him you need a transmission and he'd have it for you here tomorrow.

User Info Menu

So Rtitle, did you end up with a girl, riding a kids bike, smoking a joint.... all for $20 US!
    Oh, and my opinion is the joint will probably last longer than anything Black & Decker.

User Info Menu

I brought a drill for a buddy a couple of years ago in my checked bag, if it has lithium battery the battery needs to go in your carry-on. I'm planning on bringing another one this year.